lower fan speed by rewiring

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I saw this post before but cant find it. I bought a bunch of 80 mm high speed adda fans for cheap. But these fans are a bit noisy and I want to lower the RPM. They have 4 pin molex. How do you switch the wires around to lower the voltage from 12 to 7? Also, will this cause any risk to the PSU or be a risk for shorting out anything?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i am also striving to to my system quieter...my cpu fan is pretty loud and my thermaltake crystal orb is so freaken loud (it is not 26 db...as advertised...my cpu is already 37 db and the crystal orb is much louder)....
anyways...rather than messing with the wires...i found <A HREF="http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/sensors.shtml" target="_new">this</A>...it lowers the voltage for you without cutting and rewiring...
i havent bought one yet but i am planning on purchasing it within the next couple of weeks

<b><A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2649487" target="_new">P4 + DDR333</A>=<font color=blue>OK</font color=blue></b>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you can wire it to the 12v and the 5v lines..
the 12v is the yellow one, and the 5v is the red one.
if you hook the 12v up to the red wire, and the 5v up to the black wire, then it will make the fan run at 7v. it will not hurt the fan...and it should not cause any problems with the psu, or short anything out...
AS LONG AS YOU ARE CAREFUL, AND INSULATE EVERYTHING....ALL THE BARE WIRES SHOULD BE COVERED IN ELECTRICAL TAPE, OR HEATSHRINK, TO MAKE SURE THAT THERE WILL NOT BE ANY SHORTING.
my friend has been running his system with the 7v trick for a year now i think.

another option is to get a rheostat, and put it in the red wire of the fan leads. the middle post is for the supply, an either outer post is for the fan...because that will be the modified voltage.
and with a rheostat, you can turn the fan to full blast, or turn it almost off.
just make sure you get a good one.
like a 5w 100 ohm rheostat should be plenty for your fans.
and will make the fans ALMOST turn off when it is turned all the way down.
on a heatsink fan, i would suggest using a 25 ohm rheostat, so that the fan will not stall, even at the lowest setting. but i really wouldnt want to use a rheostat on a heatsink.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
To mod one of the power supply plugs for 7 volts is easy, no cutting, slicing, or other goof.

<font color=green>Get a tiny screwdriver,
pick which molex coming from the PS you want to be the 7volts one
look into the plug, each pins have two safety prongs
using the small screwdriver push the prongs in on the <b><font color=red>red</font color=red></b> wire's pin
find which <b><font color=black>black</font color=black></b> wire in the fan's molex in use
push in the prongs on the <b><font color=black>black</font color=black></b>
pull out the <b><font color=red>red</font color=red></b> and <b><font color=black>black</font color=black></b> pins, switch them around
move the prongs out a little so they work again
push them in till they click
mark the molex so you don't forget</font color=green>

when got bored of it switch them back

Pretty simple, nothing special needed except the tiny screwdriver, best to do this while your system is off. :smile:

Not sure they are called prongs or not, it's those little safety things coming out both sides of the pins so they don't fall out by accident.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
thanks! :)

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I got 1 working by switching the red and yellow wires. I guess this is a 5 V set up. This fan also has a branched molex which can be attached to another component. I'm guessing that I can use this other end at 12 V if left alone?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I took at three to four pin adapter and switched the connected black wire into the position of the red wire on both molex connectors, to connect the fan's 0v to 5v while maintaining the connectors pass-through ability. Left the fan's red wire connected in the yellow position. This gave me 7v for my 92mm Delta, I've been using it that way ever since.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want to run at 7v and still measure the fan speed, you can use a second 3-pin connector and split out the RPM wire to connect only that wire to the board.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
sure the 25 ohm rheostat going to be good? I got a 5K today and taking it back tomorrow. It does fast, some mid, and then off, want something that change all the way around not just the upper half of the dial.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
dont get anything with a K after it...that means thousand.
you got a 5000 ohm resistor...
i am talking about 25ohms.
if it is just for a case fan, then you can get a 100 ohm.
because that would ALMOST if not turn off the fan.
i have a 25 ohm, and a switch. the rheostat turns the fan down, and if i need it even more quiet, then i turn the fan off.
i also put an led in there, to indicate when the fan is on.

if you are buying the rheostat from radioshack, good luck trying to find a 100 ohm rheostat with 5 watt capacity.
i couldnt find any at my local radioshack.
and the local electronics shop, when i called them, said that i was looking for the wrong part, and hung up on me.
so i didnt go there.
25 ohms is a lot less resistance than 5000...
hehe
i should have made that distinction in my last post....sorry![shrug :smile: ]

-DAvid

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Yeah I know K is for thousand, not that dumb you know LOL :wink:
Going to get a 100 and one 50 and see, they cost .99$ in the electronic supply store. When I find which one work better for me I'll get more.
Didn't see any with 2 pins only, shiat loads of the 3 pins version. ohh well (you didn't go for this one, though it's funny)

p.s. they sell 120mm panaflo under 5$, sure they got what I don't need :lol:

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AndrewT on 03/07/02 02:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
SWEEZUS...where do you live?
my rheostat was like 3 bucks, and it is a 3 watt 25ohm rheostat.
and a 120mm panaflow..the local electronics shops dont even have those..
lol
i think that FRYs has 120mm sunons, but those are like 12-15 bucks EACH.
oh, and usually a rheostat has 3 leads....the middle one is the input, and the outer two are the ones that change.
depending on which way you want the knob to turn to control the speed, you hook it up to the different prongs.
for example, i have mine hooked up so that when i turn the knob clockwise, it lowers the resistance, and speeds up the fan.
to do this, looking from the knob side of the rheostat, i hooked the lead into the center prong, and then the output lead to the right prong...then i covered the other prong with heatshrink so that it wont short to anything.
all the connections i covered with either heatshrink or electrical tape (where i couldnt use heatshrink)
sorry about the k thing...but i have talked to people who dont know that k stands for thousand...so..hehe...i usually try to put it in there, even if you might know it, because then if someone else is reading, that doesnt, then they will know.... :smile:

-DAvid

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I'm in Montreal, and we got a store here called Addison and they carry about everything you ever need if you do electronic repairs. Imagine an electronic surplus store loaded with goodies, from AC adapter to xenon laps, their inventory change almost weekly (prices drop if there is too much of something). Got 50 foot S-Video cable under 10$, 50 foot double shielded RCA cables under 20$ and so on. Got 5 fuses (for a home entertainment unit) today, cost .89$ = 1.02$ with taxes. All that in Canadian $ LOL

Got me another rheostat, but just my luck, dude in the store packed the one I just returned. I was laughing when got home, tomorrow going back and will make fun of dude.

Got some <A HREF="http://andrewt1.tripod.ca" target="_new">pictures</A> of their catalogue, it's for last year and this year so prices changed since the release.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
man...makes me want to move to montreal..just to save money on all this stuff!
lol
but that is cool.
i live in southern california...and not only do they not have many electronics stores other than frys and radioshack, but the ones that are there, they charge an arm and a leg usually.
a 50' svideo cable would come in QUITE handy for me.
lol
i could route the svideo from my computer to the tv downstairs and watch movies.
hehe.
but yeah, you are hooked up there man!
oh, and i looked at a few of your pictures...and i think you MIGHT have my speakers...
the altec lansing ac-33?
you know if that addison place does mail order, and will ship to the US?
man, it would be great to get that stuff that cheap!

-DAvid

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
yes AL-33, they're great.

I don't know if they ship out of the country or not, I'll ask next monday.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
awesome..thanks man...
i just cant see paying 3 bucks for one weak ass rheostat, when i can order a proper one for cheaper!
do they have a website?

-DAvid

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
no website far as I know, guess if they would go fancy we would have to pay for it. would kill the good deals and then it would be a regular store.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Get a tiny screwdriver,
pick which molex coming from the PS you want to be the 7volts one
look into the plug, each pins have two safety prongs
using the small screwdriver push the prongs in on the red wire's pin
find which black wire in the fan's molex in use
push in the prongs on the black
pull out the red and black pins, switch them around
move the prongs out a little so they work again
push them in till they click
mark the molex so you don't forget
I really wouldnt fo that, its ok- will work well, BUT what happens a few months down the road when yuo fit a new hdd and need the power connector!!!! it goes Fzzzzzzzzz POP.
I suppose coloring in the molex, or maybe wrapping it in red tape or something to remind you, I wouldnt do it though, I'd rather splice the wires.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
No sending to the US, at least for now she said. Even in town delivery need a minimum of 100$ order and then they slap you with the delivery charge. Also you order using the numbers in the catalogue, which you don't have.

sorry

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
lol I said "mark the molex so you don't forget", you read it, quote it, and still miss it. :)

Can use a Y to split another molex if needed, cost 3$ (Canadian). I just don't like cutting into the original wires, can give some trouble if you have to return it under warranty.