Recommendations??....

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I just got a 1.33GHz AYJHA chip and have it at 1552MHz stable... I was wondering if an upgrade would be feasible/necessary. It's on an A7V133 and I'm really sick of the crap performance of SDRAM. That's really why I want to go to DDR/RDRAM. But I'm wondering if it will be worth it. If not, I'll just get a GeForce4 and keep the rest of my setup....

<font color=red>DO NOT LIGHT YOURSELF ON FIRE</font color=red>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hey Griz, welcome back!

Your question is easy to answer, yourself.

Face it. You are going to get the Geforce4, anyway. Just get it first. Check the performance. If its not good enough then you can decide on the rest of the hardware later.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I'll bet your correct.
I went to comp USA today to checkout the Xtesy Geforce4 ti4600 they had advertised
and only found an empty shelf with a $399 price marker.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Griz, here is my reccomendation.

Get a kt333 chipset mobo, and some pc2700 ddr ram(the price is going UP buy NOW before the dramurai have their way).

Then run your new tbird in that combo at 166fsb, THEN, enjoy that untill you get ancy, and REPLACE the tbird with the best tbred you desire in 6 months.

That is the best course of action IMO griz! Makes total sense.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
$399 - too rich for me!

At least it's lower than the initial prices for the Geforce3's when they came out.

I do think the prices will drop fast considering the prices of the Radeon 8500.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Well with the latest BIOS update on your A7V133 you can also run the XP proc. Not sure what speeds but I do know it is supported. You'd still be stuck in in SDRAM world but more punch for your CPU. DDR for me vs my old machine (Tbird 900 OC'd to 978 on an A7V with PC133). It made a hell of a difference. My throughput OC'd to 146FSB is fantastic you can see my SiSoft numbers at <A HREF="http://home.wi.rr.com/ocingamd " target="_new">http://home.wi.rr.com/ocingamd </A>.

As for the Geforce 4. Well for me, my days of buying $300+ vid cards are done. I just upgraded to a Ge3 Ti200. A little slower than a full Ge3 or Ge3 Ti500, but faster than the Ge4 MX series. To boot I got if for $150 at Best Buy(after a mail in rebate of course) last weekend. It's more than double of my old Voodoo 5 5500(which is 2+years old). I paid $300 for that and they went under. Now the way I figure it is I get 2 years(average) for 3D cards. This way it's only $75 a year and I still stay within 6 months-1 year of current technology, which is more or less how long it takes for software to be coded properly for the technology anyhow. And $400 will buy you a mainboard, Processer and 256MB of GOOD DDR(2400+). It's your call but I vote for the faster CPU!!!

Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well this was another choice:

Buy mobo, memory, etc now, (well, in a month or two or so), and then use the video card i have now and wait until the new geforce's come out whenever and get one of them. since i wont be upgrading for a couple months anyway.

<font color=red>DO NOT LIGHT YOURSELF ON FIRE</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Victory your scores are almost exactly the same as mine in sisoft, IM at 150fsb, but on a amd760 mobo, so it balances out. Same chip though.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Matisaro I'm only at 146 FSB. The extra 4 Mhz although I run stable at, I backed off to take it easy on the CPU until it seems 'slow' again(around six months). Anyhow I'm happy as hell with the KR7A. It's stable and rock solid and runs like a dream. I've tried breaking 150, but my InCD packet writing software locks up my machine. I've minimally tried messing the DDR/CPU voltage but haven't done so just yet. Within a few months I'm sure I'll be unlocking the multiplier than cranking the FSB up again to see how far she will go. I've got great temps in the upper 30s C to 42 C under load. So I've got room to play. I post at 155FSB at 1705 but cannot get Windows to load normally, only safe mode. I think with the higher multiplier and the higher FSB I can hit 1750. I'm not ready to tackle the laser cut L1's with a 4 week old processor just yet.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
grizley in all honesty I'd wait for a formal date for the T-breds to be released. You're far from slow at the moment. I too have only seen the Ge4's in the crappy MX flavor in retail shops. You're best bet is to wait, see how much $ total you have to spend then 'equalize' all components. When I build systems for people, I find out why they want a new PC THEN how much they want to spend. This helps me decide how much bang I can get them with their bucks.

Maybe you ought to try an Nforce board. It's pretty darn good right out of 'the box'. It'll give you the DDR, full XP support and an AGP slot for the Ge4 when you have the model/cash in hand?