whaddayathink?

G

I bought a new M-board combo that has an athlon XP 1800 with
a "volcano 6" heatsink/fan on it. I also have a Luan-Li PC-65 (?) case and an enermax PS that provide good airflow. What, if any, speed should I overclock to? I am new to this arena - my old cpu was a 200MMX, so my new sys already seems phenomenal! But, since I have the capacity to do so, coupled with the XY chromosome, I have to F@#$ with it. The Volcano looks decent, my Soyo Dragon shows system temps, but something tells me it may already be overclocked, because the manufacturer says my warranty is null and void if I remove the fan/sink. Seems fishy.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I say don't overclock, and when that XY chromosome begins to itch to buy a new CPU, then overclock it. Doing it now gets rid of the satisfaction of putting off a new CPU purchase because you can overclock the one you have.

When I got my AXIA core 1ghz Athlon when they were the rage, I HAD to overclock, got it at 150x10 for 1500 in a stripped down computer. But can do 145x10 reliably with all my hardware plugged in. After running it at top speed for about 3 weeks I realized if I toned it down to a reasonable level, 1200mhz, when I got the itch for more speed all I had to do is turn it up.

Your CPU, your call. set your voltage to the max, I forget what that is for an XP, and increase you FSB by 5mhz incraments to get an idea of the range, then do it by 1mhz increments and get your max.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

TRENDING THREADS