Can't print or add printer

Mike

Splendid

The clues:

When I try to print, error says no printer is installed

When I try to add a printer, message says "operation could not be completed"

When I boot up printer (dell A940) is detected but installation is
unsuccessful, message is "an error occured during installation, the RPC
servier is unavailable"

When I look at hardware profiles, the printer shows up only as a scanner
(it's both) and diagnostic says scanner is functioning properly

When I type "net start spooler" in command prompt, I get sys error 1068, the
depending service or group failed to start.

This started when I unsucessfully installed service pack 2 and had to
reinstall service pack 1

I have the same problem. I upgraded from Win 2000 SP 4 to Win XP SP 1 two
weeks ago, and all programs worked fine. Printer (HP deskjet) also worked.
I installed SP 2 2 days ago, and the installation was suggessful, but now the
spooler hangs up on every job, and I get no printers shown on the printer
group. When I attempt to add a printer, I get this same message. I have
sent a couple dozen error reports to MS on this.

Aloha,

"Mike" wrote:

> The clues:
>
> When I try to print, error says no printer is installed
>
> When I try to add a printer, message says "operation could not be completed"
>
> When I boot up printer (dell A940) is detected but installation is
> unsuccessful, message is "an error occured during installation, the RPC
> servier is unavailable"
>
> When I look at hardware profiles, the printer shows up only as a scanner
> (it's both) and diagnostic says scanner is functioning properly
>
> When I type "net start spooler" in command prompt, I get sys error 1068, the
> depending service or group failed to start.
>
> This started when I unsucessfully installed service pack 2 and had to
> reinstall service pack 1

See Bruce Sanderson's article at:

Pay particular attention to steps 15 thru 17. A Dell All in One unit is a
rebadged Lexmark.
www.coribright.com