Zone alarm & pcAnywhere

I need help. I have a netgear (rp614) 4 port router which is the dhcp server
for 3 computers. On one computer I have pcAnywhere 10.5 with zone alarm 3.1.
I dont know how to configure this so that I can connect remotely. Can anyone
help. I have serched the web but need detailed instructions. TIA Bill
Taylor. My IP address from my internet service is dynamic and changes every
30 days or so. My computers IP remains static (assigned by router) eg.
192.168.1.7 It seams that zone alarm is blocking my connection.

"news.east.earthlink.net" <wtaylor51537@earthlink.net> wrote in

> I need help. I have a netgear (rp614) 4 port router which is the dhcp
> server for 3 computers. On one computer I have pcAnywhere 10.5 with
> zone alarm 3.1. I dont know how to configure this so that I can
> connect remotely.

That would be finding out what inbound port had to be open on the client
and host side of PCAW programs, which can be find by using Google on a
search for the info.

This would also mean that you would need to use the router's port
forwarding feature for the inbound port PCAW needed to be open. That
would also include that ZA would need a rule set to open the inbound port
as well.

The router's website Knowledge Base should have info on how to setup the
router to do port forwarding. The info is out on Google as well.

In addition to this, you mentioned 3 DHCP IP(s) the router is using. The
machine using pcanywhere should be using one of the router's *static* IP
(s), because DHCP issued IP(s) are not static IP(s) and there is the
possibility that the IP could change and PCAW would not work anymore,
since port forwarding was pointing to a DHCP IP.

That would also mean that you should set rules with ZA to limit what IP
(s) can make contact on the PCAW, since everyone else in the world knows
this too. I suggest that you use a *strong* password scheme.

>Can anyone help. I have serched the web but need
> detailed instructions.

You'll get that info by searching on the right topics and going to the
router's Website Support Knowledge Base.

> TIA Bill Taylor. My IP address from my internet
> service is dynamic and changes every 30 days or so.

If this is a cable ISP, then I don't know about that one. The IP that's
assigned to the modem from my ISP has never changed on the
release/renewal. It's has been the same for a couple of years.

> My computers IP
> remains static (assigned by router) eg. 192.168.1.7 It seams that zone
> alarm is blocking my connection.

If the IP is being assigned by the DHCP server on the router, then it is
not one of the router's static IP(s) and the machine can get a different
IP assigned. But for the most part, the IP is kind of static, since the
NIC's MAC is assigned to the DHCP IP issued that is held in the router's
DHCP table. You add or remove machines from the router, things could
change.

If you're trying to make some connection from work to home, then this
could be trouble for you as Admin(s) frown on this and will take action.
They do review what traffic leaves the network and where it is going.

If this not the case, then you should enjoy RDS. You should think about
using VPN from the client machine to the router or from machine to
machine to further secure the connection.

Duane :)