Problems with add new hardware installing printer

I added 4 Hp 1320 printers to 4 computers and the software installed okay
with add new hardware option but now about every 30 seconds the mouse pointer
changes to an hour glass. I contacted Hp and they said that I had to install
the printer without the new hardware wizard but I can't get windows to not
run the add new hardware wizard it automatically installs the printer before
I have a chance to install it manually and it doesn't give me a chance to
cancel. Any input would be appreciated. It is very annoying.
--
twila
3 answers Last reply

    See:

    Do NOT connect the printer to the PC until the software tells you to do so.
    www.coribright.com

    "Twila" <Twila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I added 4 Hp 1320 printers to 4 computers and the software installed okay
    > with add new hardware option but now about every 30 seconds the mouse
    > pointer
    > changes to an hour glass. I contacted Hp and they said that I had to
    > install
    > the printer without the new hardware wizard but I can't get windows to not
    > run the add new hardware wizard it automatically installs the printer
    > before
    > I have a chance to install it manually and it doesn't give me a chance to
    > cancel. Any input would be appreciated. It is very annoying.
    > --
    > twila

    I tried that. Once I plug the usb cable into the computer when the software
    asks for it I get a bubble down by the time saying that it found new hardware
    and is installing it and by the time I am done with the cd install the bubble
    says your new hardware has been installed and is ready to use.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > See:
    > http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20One.htm
    >
    > Do NOT connect the printer to the PC until the software tells you to do so.
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Twila" <Twila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I added 4 Hp 1320 printers to 4 computers and the software installed okay
    > > with add new hardware option but now about every 30 seconds the mouse
    > > pointer
    > > changes to an hour glass. I contacted Hp and they said that I had to
    > > install
    > > the printer without the new hardware wizard but I can't get windows to not
    > > run the add new hardware wizard it automatically installs the printer
    > > before
    > > I have a chance to install it manually and it doesn't give me a chance to
    > > cancel. Any input would be appreciated. It is very annoying.
    > > --
    > > twila

    That's how it should work!

    >I tried that. Once I plug the usb cable into the computer when the
    >software
    > asks for it I get a bubble down by the time saying that it found new
    > hardware
    > and is installing it and by the time I am done with the cd install the
    > bubble
    > says your new hardware has been installed and is ready to use.
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> See:
    >> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20One.htm
    >>
    >> Do NOT connect the printer to the PC until the software tells you to do
    >> so.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "Twila" <Twila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I added 4 Hp 1320 printers to 4 computers and the software installed
    >> >okay
    >> > with add new hardware option but now about every 30 seconds the mouse
    >> > pointer
    >> > changes to an hour glass. I contacted Hp and they said that I had to
    >> > install
    >> > the printer without the new hardware wizard but I can't get windows to
    >> > not
    >> > run the add new hardware wizard it automatically installs the printer
    >> > before
    >> > I have a chance to install it manually and it doesn't give me a chance
    >> > cancel. Any input would be appreciated. It is very annoying.
    >> > --
    >> > twila

Hardware Hewlett Packard Printers Windows XP