Got a wierd one. I moved a shared printer (an HP Officejet G55xi all-in-one)
from one PC to another. I added the printer to the new PC and shared it.
However, if someone tries to add the printer by browsing the network, when
they select the printer the bottom part of the window shows "Access denied".
If you double-click on the printer, a Username/Password dialogue box pops up.
I have tried entering my username (password is blank) and get a dialog box
saying I don't have access to the PC.

We have 4 PCs with 3 printers on the network, and this is the only
PC/printer it happens with. Also, possibly a symptom, if I look at the
Printer properties, I have a Security tab. None of the other PCs have it on
their shared printers.

The printer works fine locally, and is using the most current drivers. I
have verified that Everyone has Full Access to the spool\printer folder.
Also, the PC that HAD this printer got a new laser printer. I shared it as
usual, and it works perfectly.

I am stumped. Thanks for any advice.
--
Computers are not intelligent. They just think they are.

Well, I fixed it. Turns out it was caused by "Simple File Sharing". Mine
was turned off. You have to be careful, though. Even after turning it on, I
had to re-do my printer sharing, because WinXP had decided I didn't
understand what I was doing and had disabled it, even though the "hand" was
still there. I had to go back into sharing, tell Windows I understood the
security risks, and just do it, D*MN IT. It works now.

"Head Hunter" wrote:

> Got a wierd one. I moved a shared printer (an HP Officejet G55xi all-in-one)
> from one PC to another. I added the printer to the new PC and shared it.
> However, if someone tries to add the printer by browsing the network, when
> they select the printer the bottom part of the window shows "Access denied".
> If you double-click on the printer, a Username/Password dialogue box pops up.
> I have tried entering my username (password is blank) and get a dialog box
> saying I don't have access to the PC.
>
> We have 4 PCs with 3 printers on the network, and this is the only
> PC/printer it happens with. Also, possibly a symptom, if I look at the
> Printer properties, I have a Security tab. None of the other PCs have it on
> their shared printers.
>
> The printer works fine locally, and is using the most current drivers. I
> have verified that Everyone has Full Access to the spool\printer folder.
> Also, the PC that HAD this printer got a new laser printer. I shared it as
> usual, and it works perfectly.
>
> I am stumped. Thanks for any advice.
> --
> Computers are not intelligent. They just think they are.

In a workgroup situation, is there anyway to have a printer connected locally
but make it require the password when shared. I want some users to be able
to print the printer but not everyone.

Thanks

Ken