Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

"Slow" Print Dialog with Win XP SP2?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 3:51:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi all,

I am a reseller/consultant and I appear to be among the many who are
experiencing 30+ second delays in opening the print dialog from ANY program
running under Win XP SP2. My customer's brand new Win XP SP2 machine
exhibits this behavior every time he tries to access the HP LJ 6P shared
from his networked Win ME machine.

Unfortunately, this new machine came with SP2 pre-installed, so I couldn't
uninstall it if I wanted to.

I've read several complaints about this problem in various forums, but I
have yet to see a workaround or solution. Is Microsoft working on this? Is
there a possible fix (even in testing) that I can obtain - or do I have to
upset my customer even more by telling him he has to live with it? Would
purchasing a print server device help?

I desperately need an answer, so thanks in advance!
- Warren
December 16, 2004 1:00:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Warren;

This won't help you, but I am in exactly the same boat. Having to explain to
my lawyer client that XP Pro SP2 is a good idea for security, but as a
result of SP2 he now has by far the slowest computer on his office network,
all of his Win98 clients are much faster. (This is a WordPerfect vs. XP2
bug.) I'm now ten hours into fixing it, still failing, and I can't ethically
bill at the usual rate, since I was the one (I almost said, "the idiot") who
recommended and implemented the SP2 "upgrade."

Well, at least it all runs off a reliable Red Hat 9 Linux server. Next step
(maybe), Xandros on all clients.

I really should get out of this business.

TomC




"Warren J. Hairston" <whairston@logicaloperators.com> wrote in message
news:o Sl9hNz4EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
>
> I am a reseller/consultant and I appear to be among the many who are
> experiencing 30+ second delays in opening the print dialog from ANY
> program running under Win XP SP2. My customer's brand new Win XP SP2
> machine exhibits this behavior every time he tries to access the HP LJ 6P
> shared from his networked Win ME machine.
>
> Unfortunately, this new machine came with SP2 pre-installed, so I couldn't
> uninstall it if I wanted to.
>
> I've read several complaints about this problem in various forums, but I
> have yet to see a workaround or solution. Is Microsoft working on this? Is
> there a possible fix (even in testing) that I can obtain - or do I have to
> upset my customer even more by telling him he has to live with it? Would
> purchasing a print server device help?
>
> I desperately need an answer, so thanks in advance!
> - Warren
>
>
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 7:29:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

This appears to be a widespread problem and one clearly caused by SP2. I've
rolled back some of my machines to SP1 and the problem immediately
disappears.

Certain of my applications (commercial ones we sell), actually crash when
one attempts to bring up a print cycle on certain SP2 machines.

I've noticed that the problem is possibilty tied to the type of video
display hardware one has. I have machines with mother-board based Intel
video chip sets which have no problem with SP2. But machines with NVidea,
ATI, or S3 video chips seem to have this problem. After my program errors
out, going into Display Settings gives me a message which suggests that the
video adapter memory has been corrupted.

There are some threads which suggest that the slow-printer-dialog problem
can be solved by completely removing all printers and then reinstalling
them. This has not worked for me. Dell support recommended reinstalling
the video drivers on my newest development machine (XPS Gen III). I did
that 3 times with no success.

In my custom code, I've traced the problem down to a WIN32 API call
CreateDC(). In my applications, this returns with an error code 119 (Bad
Driver according to WINERR.H). The printer data being input into CreateDC()
looks fine.

So I'm suspicious that the problem is somehow tied to CreateDC() in the SP2
edition of GDI32.DLL.

Best

Harry
Related resources
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 9:05:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Any solutions yet short of uninstalling SP2 ?

"Harry Whitehouse" wrote:

> This appears to be a widespread problem and one clearly caused by SP2. I've
> rolled back some of my machines to SP1 and the problem immediately
> disappears.
>
> Certain of my applications (commercial ones we sell), actually crash when
> one attempts to bring up a print cycle on certain SP2 machines.
>
> I've noticed that the problem is possibilty tied to the type of video
> display hardware one has. I have machines with mother-board based Intel
> video chip sets which have no problem with SP2. But machines with NVidea,
> ATI, or S3 video chips seem to have this problem. After my program errors
> out, going into Display Settings gives me a message which suggests that the
> video adapter memory has been corrupted.
>
> There are some threads which suggest that the slow-printer-dialog problem
> can be solved by completely removing all printers and then reinstalling
> them. This has not worked for me. Dell support recommended reinstalling
> the video drivers on my newest development machine (XPS Gen III). I did
> that 3 times with no success.
>
> In my custom code, I've traced the problem down to a WIN32 API call
> CreateDC(). In my applications, this returns with an error code 119 (Bad
> Driver according to WINERR.H). The printer data being input into CreateDC()
> looks fine.
>
> So I'm suspicious that the problem is somehow tied to CreateDC() in the SP2
> edition of GDI32.DLL.
>
> Best
>
> Harry
>
>
>
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 6:57:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I still haven't found any solution!

Does anyone know how to formally submit a "bug report" to MS?

Best

Harry
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:31:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I successfully used the workaround suggested in the thread below that I found
on usenet.
I did not use the persistent option since I think it's yes by default, so I
just typed it once in a cmd window and it stays.

net use LPT1: \\win98pc\hplaserjet1

SP2 network printing problemsAll 9 messages in topic - view as tree
TC Nov 7 2004, 8:40 am show options

Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: "TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:40:08 +0000 (UTC)
Local: Sun, Nov 7 2004 8:40 am
Subject: SP2 network printing problems
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
original | Report Abuse

Hi

I have four PCs on a small lan. Two are Win98 SE, two are WinXP pro. One of
the Win98 PCs has all the printers attached and other PCs point to these
printrers accross the network.

All ran fine with printing on the XP machines and although not as fast as
having a local printer, printing was still fine. Then I snstalled SP2 on the
XP machines. Since then any contact with the printer takes ages. When I open
a doc in word (97) it takes about 30secs as it appears to be trying to
contact the default printer. If I set the default to a local (PDF) printer
it all opens v quickly. The firewall is off and otherwise the LAN appears
fine.

Has anyone else found this problem and if so what should I be doing. The
slow operation of word is driving me crazy !

Thanks
--
Tobit

Reply




Richard Nov 7 2004, 12:05 pm show options

Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: "Richard" <no-one.h...@nospam.uk> - Find messages by this author
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:05:06 -0000
Local: Sun, Nov 7 2004 12:05 pm
Subject: Re: SP2 network printing problems
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
original | Report Abuse

I bought a small netgear print server and took printing off of the PC. Then
was able to use the prining to an IP address function in XP. This gave me
HUGELY improved printing control from XP though from older systems the
printing was largely unchanged. It was a slight fiddle to sort out and I
would not use the Netgear software for an XP machine as performance was
terrible, but otherwise the improved service has been a tonic. [XP does
tend to look for all the network resources it thinks it needs or may need
before it gets on with anything, on the other hand it handles missing
network drives rather better than older systems.]
Richard

"TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cmlj58$hhk$1@hercules.btinternet.com...

- Hide quoted text -
- Show quoted text -
> Hi

> I have four PCs on a small lan. Two are Win98 SE, two are WinXP pro. One
> of the Win98 PCs has all the printers attached and other PCs point to
> these printrers accross the network.

> All ran fine with printing on the XP machines and although not as fast as
> having a local printer, printing was still fine. Then I snstalled SP2 on
> the XP machines. Since then any contact with the printer takes ages. When
> I open a doc in word (97) it takes about 30secs as it appears to be trying
> to contact the default printer. If I set the default to a local (PDF)
> printer it all opens v quickly. The firewall is off and otherwise the LAN
> appears fine.

> Has anyone else found this problem and if so what should I be doing. The
> slow operation of word is driving me crazy !

> Thanks

> --
> Tobit


Reply




SlowJet Nov 7 2004, 2:29 pm show options

Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: "SlowJet" <Slow...@noTY2this.com> - Find messages by this author
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:29:25 GMT
Local: Sun, Nov 7 2004 2:29 pm
Subject: Re: SP2 network printing problems
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
original | Report Abuse

Set Winprint = raw (especially on P/C using shared printers.)

Check Use print spooler and sub check start printing emediately.

If a lot of printing is occuring, more memory on the printer may allow an
I/O buffering so more prints can be downloaded to the printer. Usually a
certtain amount reached turns thse features on.

If you are not using print spooler and have mimimum printer memory, your
waiting on the printer to phyically print. If you use EMF the output will
need to be converted to raw on the other side and take longer. If your
printers are low on memory your screen founts will be download over and
over. Increase memeory or use founts on printer.

SJ
"

- Hide quoted text -
- Show quoted text -
TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cmlj58$hhk$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> Hi

> I have four PCs on a small lan. Two are Win98 SE, two are WinXP pro. One
> of the Win98 PCs has all the printers attached and other PCs point to
> these printrers accross the network.

> All ran fine with printing on the XP machines and although not as fast as
> having a local printer, printing was still fine. Then I snstalled SP2 on
> the XP machines. Since then any contact with the printer takes ages. When
> I open a doc in word (97) it takes about 30secs as it appears to be trying
> to contact the default printer. If I set the default to a local (PDF)
> printer it all opens v quickly. The firewall is off and otherwise the LAN
> appears fine.

> Has anyone else found this problem and if so what should I be doing. The
> slow operation of word is driving me crazy !

> Thanks

> --
> Tobit


Reply




TC Nov 7 2004, 11:49 pm show options

Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: "TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 07:49:08 +0000 (UTC)
Local: Sun, Nov 7 2004 11:49 pm
Subject: Re: SP2 network printing problems
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
original | Report Abuse

This sounds like a good solution. I've never tried a print server - which
netgear unit did you use (PS101 mini ?)and apart from the software are you
happy with it ?

Thanks, Tobit

________________________________
"Richard" <no-one.h...@nospam.uk> wrote in message
news:cmlv3m$lko$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

- Hide quoted text -
- Show quoted text -
>I bought a small netgear print server and took printing off of the PC.
>Then was able to use the prining to an IP address function in XP. This
>gave me HUGELY improved printing control from XP though from older systems
>the printing was largely unchanged. It was a slight fiddle to sort out and
>I would not use the Netgear software for an XP machine as performance was
>terrible, but otherwise the improved service has been a tonic. [XP does
>tend to look for all the network resources it thinks it needs or may need
>before it gets on with anything, on the other hand it handles missing
>network drives rather better than older systems.]
> Richard

> "TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:cmlj58$hhk$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
>> Hi
>> I have four PCs on a small lan. Two are Win98 SE, two are WinXP pro. One
>> of the Win98 PCs has all the printers attached and other PCs point to
>> these printrers accross the network.

>> All ran fine with printing on the XP machines and although not as fast as
>> having a local printer, printing was still fine. Then I snstalled SP2 on
>> the XP machines. Since then any contact with the printer takes ages. When
>> I open a doc in word (97) it takes about 30secs as it appears to be
>> trying to contact the default printer. If I set the default to a local
>> (PDF) printer it all opens v quickly. The firewall is off and otherwise
>> the LAN appears fine.

>> Has anyone else found this problem and if so what should I be doing. The
>> slow operation of word is driving me crazy !

>> Thanks

>> --
>> Tobit


Reply




Rex Nov 8 2004, 1:34 am show options

Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: "Rex" <rex...@hotmail.com> - Find messages by this author
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:34:31 +1000
Local: Mon, Nov 8 2004 1:34 am
Subject: Re: SP2 network printing problems
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
original | Report Abuse

"TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cmn8dk$gid$1@hercules.btinternet.com...

> This sounds like a good solution. I've never tried a print server - which
> netgear unit did you use (PS101 mini ?)and apart from the software are you
> happy with it ?

> Thanks, Tobit


I am using a Netgear PS110 print server, it has two parallel ports.
Netgear software works without a problem with XP.

Rex

Reply




<???> Nov 8 2004, 8:05 pm show options

Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: "<©¿©>" <u...@127.0.0.1> - Find messages by this author
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 04:05:46 GMT
Local: Mon, Nov 8 2004 8:05 pm
Subject: Re: SP2 network printing problems
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
original | Report Abuse

I would go into each computer on your network and take out of the regisrty
these two keys under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\
delete the key (folder) called {2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D} and
{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}. These are the only two keys under
NameSpace.

The other thing that I would do is go into Device Manager of each XP machine
and take the check out of "Allow the computer to turn off this device to
save power" under the "Power Management" tab of the network card in the
computer..

Reply




BlasterBR Nov 15 2004, 1:30 pm show options

Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: BlasterBR <Blaste...@discussions.microsoft.com> - Find messages by
this author
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:30:03 -0800
Local: Mon, Nov 15 2004 1:30 pm
Subject: RE: SP2 network printing problems
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
original | Report Abuse

Try this in the DOS command line (cmd.exe)
in a single line:

net use \\computer_name_with_printers_installed\IPC$ /persistent:yes
You shoul make a *.cmd file to put this command and then make
it start after you have logged in into your pc (scheduled tasks).

I have exacly the same network configuration as you
and this command have helped me a lot.

I start having this same problem after the SP2 upgrade.
Without this command "net use" when i try to use the printers
or just open the printer properties in a SP2 machine the
number of connections (or TCP ports) open to the win98 pc TCP port 139 with
the printers , starts to grow and never stop until i stop using the printers.

Here´s a log of the connections, made with "netstat -a -n" just by opening
the printers and faxes window, after 5 minutes, before the "net use".

C:\>netstat -a -n

Ligações activas

Proto Endereço local Endereço externo Estado
TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:1025 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:1030 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 192.168.1.2:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 192.168.1.2:1029 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1030 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1031 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1032 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1033 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1034 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1035 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1036 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1047 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1048 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1049 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1050 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1051 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1052 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1054 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1057 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1058 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1059 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1060 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1061 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.2:1062 192.168.1.5:139 ESTABLISHED
TCP 192.168.1.2:3589 194.65.79.140:80 CLOSE_WAIT

TCP [::]:135 [::]:0 LISTENING 0
UDP 0.0.0.0:445 *:*
UDP 0.0.0.0:500 *:*
UDP 0.0.0.0:1031 *:*
UDP 0.0.0.0:4500 *:*
UDP 127.0.0.1:123 *:*
UDP 127.0.0.1:1064 *:*
UDP 127.0.0.1:1135 *:*
UDP 127.0.0.1:1900 *:*
UDP 192.168.1.2:123 *:*
UDP 192.168.1.2:137 *:*
UDP 192.168.1.2:138 *:*
UDP 192.168.1.2:1900 *:*

And this should be the problem with the SP2, he´s unable to re-use
automaticaly the connections made to a win 98 machine , so he just starts to
open multiple connections and this can slow down the printer system.

This is my log now that i have entered the "net use" command:

C:\>netstat -a -n

Ligações activas

Proto Endereço local Endereço externo Estado
TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:1025 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:1030 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 192.168.1.2:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 192.168.1.2:2021 192.168.1.5:139 ESTABLISHED
TCP 192.168.1.2:3589 194.65.79.140:80 CLOSE_WAIT

TCP [::]:135 [::]:0 LISTENING 0
UDP 0.0.0.0:445 *:*
UDP 0.0.0.0:500 *:*
UDP 0.0.0.0:1031 *:*
UDP 0.0.0.0:4500 *:*
UDP 127.0.0.1:123 *:*
UDP 127.0.0.1:1064 *:*
UDP 127.0.0.1:1135 *:*
UDP 127.0.0.1:1900 *:*
UDP 192.168.1.2:123 *:*
UDP 192.168.1.2:137 *:*
UDP 192.168.1.2:138 *:*
UDP 192.168.1.2:1900 *:*

"TC" wrote:

- Hide quoted text -
- Show quoted text -
> Hi

> I have four PCs on a small lan. Two are Win98 SE, two are WinXP pro. One of
> the Win98 PCs has all the printers attached and other PCs point to these
> printrers accross the network.

> All ran fine with printing on the XP machines and although not as fast as
> having a local printer, printing was still fine. Then I snstalled SP2 on the
> XP machines. Since then any contact with the printer takes ages. When I open
> a doc in word (97) it takes about 30secs as it appears to be trying to
> contact the default printer. If I set the default to a local (PDF) printer
> it all opens v quickly. The firewall is off and otherwise the LAN appears
> fine.

> Has anyone else found this problem and if so what should I be doing. The
> slow operation of word is driving me crazy !

> Thanks

> --
> Tobit


Reply




TC Nov 16 2004, 1:20 am show options

Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: "TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:20:27 +0000 (UTC)
Local: Tues, Nov 16 2004 1:20 am
Subject: Re: SP2 network printing problems
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
original | Report Abuse

Thanks for all the help guys

I have moved the printers onto a print server as suggested by richard
(netgear PS110) but with no noticable difference. The SP2 machine is still
very slow while the 98 machine is very fast

Blaster - I think you have isolated the problem.

C:\>netstat -a -n on the SP2 shows many CLOSE_WAIT lines (like you before
your fix)

C:\>netstat -a -n on the 98 machine shows only one CLOSE-WAIT (like you
after the fix)

cmd line does not seem to work - it is this

C:\net use \\Psa5edbc\IPC$ /persistent:yes
Is the syntax correct (I've not got much DOS experience ?)
I saved it as a notepad txt file and then changed the suffix to cmd, then
put a shortcut in scheduled taskes at login (I don't use a password, but I
dont think this matters does it ?)

Tobit

Reply




BlasterBR Nov 16 2004, 5:04 am show options

Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: BlasterBR <Blaste...@discussions.microsoft.com> - Find messages by
this author
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:04:06 -0800
Local: Tues, Nov 16 2004 5:04 am
Subject: Re: SP2 network printing problems
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
original | Report Abuse

If you don´t use a password to acess your Win XP computer you are not able to
schedule tasks with your username, that is, without changing the Win registry.
The simple way to keep your pc without a password and make this printer
problem go away type this, after changing it to your system, in the command
line "cmd.exe" in a single line:

net use LPT9:

\\computer_name_with_printers_installed\one_of_the_printers_shared_name
/persistent:yes

To make this more simple in my system i typed this:

net use LPT9: \\serv_m\epson_sc_600 /persistent:yes
This makes the win XP SP2 to always have an open connection to the pc with
the printers an you even can print DOS jobs into the LPT9 local port.

The Win XP automaticaly makes an entry into the registry to make this
activate always at system start, so you do not have to type this every time
you start your PC.

You can modify the LPT9 to other number of LPT if that LPT is not already in
use in your WIN XP system .




"Harry Whitehouse" wrote:

> I still haven't found any solution!
>
> Does anyone know how to formally submit a "bug report" to MS?
>
> Best
>
> Harry
>
>
>
!