"Slow" Print Dialog with Win XP SP2?

Hi all,

I am a reseller/consultant and I appear to be among the many who are
experiencing 30+ second delays in opening the print dialog from ANY program
running under Win XP SP2. My customer's brand new Win XP SP2 machine
exhibits this behavior every time he tries to access the HP LJ 6P shared
from his networked Win ME machine.

Unfortunately, this new machine came with SP2 pre-installed, so I couldn't
uninstall it if I wanted to.

I've read several complaints about this problem in various forums, but I
have yet to see a workaround or solution. Is Microsoft working on this? Is
there a possible fix (even in testing) that I can obtain - or do I have to
upset my customer even more by telling him he has to live with it? Would
purchasing a print server device help?

I desperately need an answer, so thanks in advance!
- Warren
5 answers Last reply
More about slow print dialog

    Warren;

    This won't help you, but I am in exactly the same boat. Having to explain to
    my lawyer client that XP Pro SP2 is a good idea for security, but as a
    result of SP2 he now has by far the slowest computer on his office network,
    all of his Win98 clients are much faster. (This is a WordPerfect vs. XP2
    bug.) I'm now ten hours into fixing it, still failing, and I can't ethically
    bill at the usual rate, since I was the one (I almost said, "the idiot") who
    recommended and implemented the SP2 "upgrade."

    Well, at least it all runs off a reliable Red Hat 9 Linux server. Next step
    (maybe), Xandros on all clients.

    I really should get out of this business.

    TomC

    "Warren J. Hairston" <whairston@logicaloperators.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am a reseller/consultant and I appear to be among the many who are
    > experiencing 30+ second delays in opening the print dialog from ANY
    > program running under Win XP SP2. My customer's brand new Win XP SP2
    > machine exhibits this behavior every time he tries to access the HP LJ 6P
    > shared from his networked Win ME machine.
    >
    > Unfortunately, this new machine came with SP2 pre-installed, so I couldn't
    > uninstall it if I wanted to.
    >
    > I've read several complaints about this problem in various forums, but I
    > have yet to see a workaround or solution. Is Microsoft working on this? Is
    > there a possible fix (even in testing) that I can obtain - or do I have to
    > upset my customer even more by telling him he has to live with it? Would
    > purchasing a print server device help?
    >
    > I desperately need an answer, so thanks in advance!
    > - Warren

    This appears to be a widespread problem and one clearly caused by SP2. I've
    rolled back some of my machines to SP1 and the problem immediately
    disappears.

    Certain of my applications (commercial ones we sell), actually crash when
    one attempts to bring up a print cycle on certain SP2 machines.

    I've noticed that the problem is possibilty tied to the type of video
    display hardware one has. I have machines with mother-board based Intel
    video chip sets which have no problem with SP2. But machines with NVidea,
    ATI, or S3 video chips seem to have this problem. After my program errors
    out, going into Display Settings gives me a message which suggests that the
    video adapter memory has been corrupted.

    There are some threads which suggest that the slow-printer-dialog problem
    can be solved by completely removing all printers and then reinstalling
    them. This has not worked for me. Dell support recommended reinstalling
    the video drivers on my newest development machine (XPS Gen III). I did
    that 3 times with no success.

    In my custom code, I've traced the problem down to a WIN32 API call
    CreateDC(). In my applications, this returns with an error code 119 (Bad
    Driver according to WINERR.H). The printer data being input into CreateDC()
    looks fine.

    So I'm suspicious that the problem is somehow tied to CreateDC() in the SP2
    edition of GDI32.DLL.

    Best

    Harry

    Any solutions yet short of uninstalling SP2 ?

    "Harry Whitehouse" wrote:

    > This appears to be a widespread problem and one clearly caused by SP2. I've
    > rolled back some of my machines to SP1 and the problem immediately
    > disappears.
    >
    > Certain of my applications (commercial ones we sell), actually crash when
    > one attempts to bring up a print cycle on certain SP2 machines.
    >
    > I've noticed that the problem is possibilty tied to the type of video
    > display hardware one has. I have machines with mother-board based Intel
    > video chip sets which have no problem with SP2. But machines with NVidea,
    > ATI, or S3 video chips seem to have this problem. After my program errors
    > out, going into Display Settings gives me a message which suggests that the
    > video adapter memory has been corrupted.
    >
    > There are some threads which suggest that the slow-printer-dialog problem
    > can be solved by completely removing all printers and then reinstalling
    > them. This has not worked for me. Dell support recommended reinstalling
    > the video drivers on my newest development machine (XPS Gen III). I did
    > that 3 times with no success.
    >
    > In my custom code, I've traced the problem down to a WIN32 API call
    > CreateDC(). In my applications, this returns with an error code 119 (Bad
    > Driver according to WINERR.H). The printer data being input into CreateDC()
    > looks fine.
    >
    > So I'm suspicious that the problem is somehow tied to CreateDC() in the SP2
    > edition of GDI32.DLL.
    >
    > Best
    >
    > Harry

    I still haven't found any solution!

    Does anyone know how to formally submit a "bug report" to MS?

    Best

    Harry

    I successfully used the workaround suggested in the thread below that I found
    on usenet.
    I did not use the persistent option since I think it's yes by default, so I
    just typed it once in a cmd window and it stays.

    net use LPT1: \\win98pc\hplaserjet1

    SP2 network printing problemsAll 9 messages in topic - view as tree
    TC Nov 7 2004, 8:40 am show options

    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    From: "TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> - Find messages by this
    author
    Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:40:08 +0000 (UTC)
    Subject: SP2 network printing problems
    original | Report Abuse

    Hi

    I have four PCs on a small lan. Two are Win98 SE, two are WinXP pro. One of
    the Win98 PCs has all the printers attached and other PCs point to these
    printrers accross the network.

    All ran fine with printing on the XP machines and although not as fast as
    having a local printer, printing was still fine. Then I snstalled SP2 on the
    XP machines. Since then any contact with the printer takes ages. When I open
    a doc in word (97) it takes about 30secs as it appears to be trying to
    contact the default printer. If I set the default to a local (PDF) printer
    it all opens v quickly. The firewall is off and otherwise the LAN appears
    fine.

    Has anyone else found this problem and if so what should I be doing. The
    slow operation of word is driving me crazy !

    Thanks
    --
    Tobit

    Richard Nov 7 2004, 12:05 pm show options

    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    From: "Richard" <no-one.h...@nospam.uk> - Find messages by this author
    Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:05:06 -0000
    Subject: Re: SP2 network printing problems
    original | Report Abuse

    I bought a small netgear print server and took printing off of the PC. Then
    was able to use the prining to an IP address function in XP. This gave me
    HUGELY improved printing control from XP though from older systems the
    printing was largely unchanged. It was a slight fiddle to sort out and I
    would not use the Netgear software for an XP machine as performance was
    terrible, but otherwise the improved service has been a tonic. [XP does
    tend to look for all the network resources it thinks it needs or may need
    before it gets on with anything, on the other hand it handles missing
    network drives rather better than older systems.]
    Richard

    "TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Hi

    > I have four PCs on a small lan. Two are Win98 SE, two are WinXP pro. One
    > of the Win98 PCs has all the printers attached and other PCs point to
    > these printrers accross the network.

    > All ran fine with printing on the XP machines and although not as fast as
    > having a local printer, printing was still fine. Then I snstalled SP2 on
    > the XP machines. Since then any contact with the printer takes ages. When
    > I open a doc in word (97) it takes about 30secs as it appears to be trying
    > to contact the default printer. If I set the default to a local (PDF)
    > printer it all opens v quickly. The firewall is off and otherwise the LAN
    > appears fine.

    > Has anyone else found this problem and if so what should I be doing. The
    > slow operation of word is driving me crazy !

    > Thanks

    > --
    > Tobit

    SlowJet Nov 7 2004, 2:29 pm show options

    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    From: "SlowJet" <Slow...@noTY2this.com> - Find messages by this author
    Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:29:25 GMT
    original | Report Abuse

    Set Winprint = raw (especially on P/C using shared printers.)

    Check Use print spooler and sub check start printing emediately.

    If a lot of printing is occuring, more memory on the printer may allow an
    I/O buffering so more prints can be downloaded to the printer. Usually a
    certtain amount reached turns thse features on.

    If you are not using print spooler and have mimimum printer memory, your
    waiting on the printer to phyically print. If you use EMF the output will
    need to be converted to raw on the other side and take longer. If your
    printers are low on memory your screen founts will be download over and
    over. Increase memeory or use founts on printer.

    SJ
    "

    TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi

    > I have four PCs on a small lan. Two are Win98 SE, two are WinXP pro. One
    > of the Win98 PCs has all the printers attached and other PCs point to
    > these printrers accross the network.

    > All ran fine with printing on the XP machines and although not as fast as
    > having a local printer, printing was still fine. Then I snstalled SP2 on
    > the XP machines. Since then any contact with the printer takes ages. When
    > I open a doc in word (97) it takes about 30secs as it appears to be trying
    > to contact the default printer. If I set the default to a local (PDF)
    > printer it all opens v quickly. The firewall is off and otherwise the LAN
    > appears fine.

    > Has anyone else found this problem and if so what should I be doing. The
    > slow operation of word is driving me crazy !

    > Thanks

    > --
    > Tobit

    TC Nov 7 2004, 11:49 pm show options

    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    From: "TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> - Find messages by this
    author
    Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 07:49:08 +0000 (UTC)
    original | Report Abuse

    This sounds like a good solution. I've never tried a print server - which
    netgear unit did you use (PS101 mini ?)and apart from the software are you
    happy with it ?

    Thanks, Tobit

    ________________________________
    "Richard" <no-one.h...@nospam.uk> wrote in message

    >I bought a small netgear print server and took printing off of the PC.
    >Then was able to use the prining to an IP address function in XP. This
    >gave me HUGELY improved printing control from XP though from older systems
    >the printing was largely unchanged. It was a slight fiddle to sort out and
    >I would not use the Netgear software for an XP machine as performance was
    >terrible, but otherwise the improved service has been a tonic. [XP does
    >tend to look for all the network resources it thinks it needs or may need
    >before it gets on with anything, on the other hand it handles missing
    >network drives rather better than older systems.]
    > Richard

    > "TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I have four PCs on a small lan. Two are Win98 SE, two are WinXP pro. One
    >> of the Win98 PCs has all the printers attached and other PCs point to
    >> these printrers accross the network.

    >> All ran fine with printing on the XP machines and although not as fast as
    >> having a local printer, printing was still fine. Then I snstalled SP2 on
    >> the XP machines. Since then any contact with the printer takes ages. When
    >> I open a doc in word (97) it takes about 30secs as it appears to be
    >> trying to contact the default printer. If I set the default to a local
    >> (PDF) printer it all opens v quickly. The firewall is off and otherwise
    >> the LAN appears fine.

    >> Has anyone else found this problem and if so what should I be doing. The
    >> slow operation of word is driving me crazy !

    >> Thanks

    >> --
    >> Tobit

    Rex Nov 8 2004, 1:34 am show options

    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    From: "Rex" <rex...@hotmail.com> - Find messages by this author
    Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:34:31 +1000
    original | Report Abuse

    > This sounds like a good solution. I've never tried a print server - which
    > netgear unit did you use (PS101 mini ?)and apart from the software are you
    > happy with it ?

    > Thanks, Tobit

    I am using a Netgear PS110 print server, it has two parallel ports.
    Netgear software works without a problem with XP.

    Rex

    <???> Nov 8 2004, 8:05 pm show options

    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    From: "<©¿©>" <u...@127.0.0.1> - Find messages by this author
    Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 04:05:46 GMT
    original | Report Abuse

    I would go into each computer on your network and take out of the regisrty
    these two keys under

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\
    delete the key (folder) called {2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D} and
    {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}. These are the only two keys under
    NameSpace.

    The other thing that I would do is go into Device Manager of each XP machine
    and take the check out of "Allow the computer to turn off this device to
    save power" under the "Power Management" tab of the network card in the
    computer..

    BlasterBR Nov 15 2004, 1:30 pm show options

    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    From: BlasterBR <Blaste...@discussions.microsoft.com> - Find messages by
    this author
    Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:30:03 -0800
    original | Report Abuse

    Try this in the DOS command line (cmd.exe)
    in a single line:

    net use \\computer_name_with_printers_installed\IPC$ /persistent:yes
    You shoul make a *.cmd file to put this command and then make
    it start after you have logged in into your pc (scheduled tasks).

    I have exacly the same network configuration as you
    and this command have helped me a lot.

    I start having this same problem after the SP2 upgrade.
    Without this command "net use" when i try to use the printers
    or just open the printer properties in a SP2 machine the
    number of connections (or TCP ports) open to the win98 pc TCP port 139 with
    the printers , starts to grow and never stop until i stop using the printers.

    Here´s a log of the connections, made with "netstat -a -n" just by opening
    the printers and faxes window, after 5 minutes, before the "net use".

    C:\>netstat -a -n

    Ligações activas

    Proto Endereço local Endereço externo Estado
    TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 127.0.0.1:1025 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 127.0.0.1:1030 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 192.168.1.2:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1029 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1030 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1031 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1032 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1033 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1034 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1035 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1036 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1047 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1048 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1049 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1050 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1051 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1052 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1054 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1057 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1058 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1059 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1060 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1061 192.168.1.5:139 CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.1.2:1062 192.168.1.5:139 ESTABLISHED
    TCP 192.168.1.2:3589 194.65.79.140:80 CLOSE_WAIT

    TCP [::]:135 [::]:0 LISTENING 0
    UDP 0.0.0.0:445 *:*
    UDP 0.0.0.0:500 *:*
    UDP 0.0.0.0:1031 *:*
    UDP 0.0.0.0:4500 *:*
    UDP 127.0.0.1:123 *:*
    UDP 127.0.0.1:1064 *:*
    UDP 127.0.0.1:1135 *:*
    UDP 127.0.0.1:1900 *:*
    UDP 192.168.1.2:123 *:*
    UDP 192.168.1.2:137 *:*
    UDP 192.168.1.2:138 *:*
    UDP 192.168.1.2:1900 *:*

    And this should be the problem with the SP2, he´s unable to re-use
    automaticaly the connections made to a win 98 machine , so he just starts to
    open multiple connections and this can slow down the printer system.

    This is my log now that i have entered the "net use" command:

    C:\>netstat -a -n

    Ligações activas

    Proto Endereço local Endereço externo Estado
    TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 127.0.0.1:1025 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 127.0.0.1:1030 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 192.168.1.2:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 192.168.1.2:2021 192.168.1.5:139 ESTABLISHED

    "TC" wrote:

    > Hi

    > I have four PCs on a small lan. Two are Win98 SE, two are WinXP pro. One of
    > the Win98 PCs has all the printers attached and other PCs point to these
    > printrers accross the network.

    > All ran fine with printing on the XP machines and although not as fast as
    > having a local printer, printing was still fine. Then I snstalled SP2 on the
    > XP machines. Since then any contact with the printer takes ages. When I open
    > a doc in word (97) it takes about 30secs as it appears to be trying to
    > contact the default printer. If I set the default to a local (PDF) printer
    > it all opens v quickly. The firewall is off and otherwise the LAN appears
    > fine.

    > Has anyone else found this problem and if so what should I be doing. The
    > slow operation of word is driving me crazy !

    > Thanks

    > --
    > Tobit

    TC Nov 16 2004, 1:20 am show options

    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    From: "TC" <t...@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> - Find messages by this
    author
    Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:20:27 +0000 (UTC)
    original | Report Abuse

    Thanks for all the help guys

    I have moved the printers onto a print server as suggested by richard
    (netgear PS110) but with no noticable difference. The SP2 machine is still
    very slow while the 98 machine is very fast

    Blaster - I think you have isolated the problem.

    C:\>netstat -a -n on the SP2 shows many CLOSE_WAIT lines (like you before
    your fix)

    C:\>netstat -a -n on the 98 machine shows only one CLOSE-WAIT (like you
    after the fix)

    cmd line does not seem to work - it is this

    C:\net use \\Psa5edbc\IPC$ /persistent:yes
    Is the syntax correct (I've not got much DOS experience ?)
    I saved it as a notepad txt file and then changed the suffix to cmd, then
    put a shortcut in scheduled taskes at login (I don't use a password, but I
    dont think this matters does it ?)

    Tobit

    BlasterBR Nov 16 2004, 5:04 am show options

    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    From: BlasterBR <Blaste...@discussions.microsoft.com> - Find messages by
    this author
    Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:04:06 -0800
    original | Report Abuse

    If you don´t use a password to acess your Win XP computer you are not able to
    schedule tasks with your username, that is, without changing the Win registry.
    The simple way to keep your pc without a password and make this printer
    problem go away type this, after changing it to your system, in the command
    line "cmd.exe" in a single line:

    net use LPT9:

    \\computer_name_with_printers_installed\one_of_the_printers_shared_name
    /persistent:yes

    To make this more simple in my system i typed this:

    net use LPT9: \\serv_m\epson_sc_600 /persistent:yes
    This makes the win XP SP2 to always have an open connection to the pc with
    the printers an you even can print DOS jobs into the LPT9 local port.

    The Win XP automaticaly makes an entry into the registry to make this
    activate always at system start, so you do not have to type this every time
    you start your PC.

    You can modify the LPT9 to other number of LPT if that LPT is not already in
    use in your WIN XP system .

    "Harry Whitehouse" wrote:

    > I still haven't found any solution!
    >
    > Does anyone know how to formally submit a "bug report" to MS?
    >
    > Best
    >
    > Harry

Microsoft Dialog Windows XP