Adding a shared local printer in XPPro

December 16, 2004 10:05:03 AM

I have added two new printers in my LAN and set both to be shared (different
share names). On ten of the LAN PC's the two printers are available in the
add printer wizard for a local printer. In two PC's the shared printers don't
appear as a choice from local printer. but do show as a choice for networked
printers. I need to configure as a local printer on these two PC's to make
available for company software. Any ideas? All PC's are running Win XPPro SP2
..
John
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 11:01:10 PM

Are the printers actually attached to PC's? If so, are you aware at XP's 10
connection limitation?
www.coribright.com

>I have added two new printers in my LAN and set both to be shared
>(different
> share names). On ten of the LAN PC's the two printers are available in the
> add printer wizard for a local printer. In two PC's the shared printers
> don't
> appear as a choice from local printer. but do show as a choice for
> networked
> printers. I need to configure as a local printer on these two PC's to make
> available for company software. Any ideas? All PC's are running Win XPPro
> SP2
> .
> John

December 17, 2004 7:45:02 AM

Cari,

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Are the printers actually attached to PC's? If so, are you aware at XP's 10
> connection limitation?
> www.coribright.com
>
> "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have added two new printers in my LAN and set both to be shared
> >(different
> > share names). On ten of the LAN PC's the two printers are available in the
> > add printer wizard for a local printer. In two PC's the shared printers
> > don't
> > appear as a choice from local printer. but do show as a choice for
> > networked
> > printers. I need to configure as a local printer on these two PC's to make
> > available for company software. Any ideas? All PC's are running Win XPPro
> > SP2
> > .
> > John

Related resources
December 17, 2004 7:45:02 AM

Cari, I did not know about htis limitation. Do you know where I can find out
more about this limitation? The printers are all connected as local printers
on LPT1 and shared.
John

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Are the printers actually attached to PC's? If so, are you aware at XP's 10
> connection limitation?
> www.coribright.com
>
> "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have added two new printers in my LAN and set both to be shared
> >(different
> > share names). On ten of the LAN PC's the two printers are available in the
> > add printer wizard for a local printer. In two PC's the shared printers
> > don't
> > appear as a choice from local printer. but do show as a choice for
> > networked
> > printers. I need to configure as a local printer on these two PC's to make
> > available for company software. Any ideas? All PC's are running Win XPPro
> > SP2
> > .
> > John

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 7:43:51 PM

XP Pro has a limitation of 10 simultaneous connections.
XP Home has a mere 5.
www.coribright.com

> Cari, I did not know about htis limitation. Do you know where I can find
> out
> more about this limitation? The printers are all connected as local
> printers
> on LPT1 and shared.
> John

December 20, 2004 8:15:02 AM

Cari,

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Are the printers actually attached to PC's? If so, are you aware at XP's 10
> connection limitation?
> www.coribright.com
>
> "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have added two new printers in my LAN and set both to be shared
> >(different
> > share names). On ten of the LAN PC's the two printers are available in the
> > add printer wizard for a local printer. In two PC's the shared printers
> > don't
> > appear as a choice from local printer. but do show as a choice for
> > networked
> > printers. I need to configure as a local printer on these two PC's to make
> > available for company software. Any ideas? All PC's are running Win XPPro
> > SP2
> > .
> > John

December 20, 2004 8:17:01 AM

Cari, thanks for the greast assist.....John

!