I'm using XP Pro on a new Dell Dimension 8100, came with SP2. Printing
to a local Brother MFC 2500. I'm able to print docs from email or my
Internet browser, but when I try to print anything from Word or
Notepad, I get an error message saying the Print Failed. After that, I
can no longer print from the email or browser which previously had been
fine. I can print from the command prompt, however. Memory and disk
space are not a problem.

As this is a brand new machine, I am disinclined to think there is a
BIOS problem. From reading various troubleshooting docs at Microsoft
Support, I will next try the Generic/Text Only printer driver. If that
works, does that mean that I would be limited to printing text only
docs?

Have others encountered this and figured out how to resolve it?

TIA

--
CCope

I have a similar problem - can't print any text-only documents from any
Microsoft products (Word, Wordpad, Notepad, Outlook Express) but a
mixed-content document (text and an image -- on each page) will print both
the image and the text. This is XP Home with SP2 to an HP printer. I don't
get any error message on the text-only documents; the printer simply seems
to print without reporting a problem, but the page is blank.

I too have searched various Microsoft Troubleshooting documents and tried
uninstalling and re-installing all related printer software (HP's site says
to use the Microsoft supplied printer drivers for this printer) to no avail.

TIA

Vince McGowan
vince.mcgowan@comcast.net

"CCope" <CCope.1hdtgz@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I'm using XP Pro on a new Dell Dimension 8100, came with SP2. Printing
> to a local Brother MFC 2500. I'm able to print docs from email or my
> Internet browser, but when I try to print anything from Word or
> Notepad, I get an error message saying the Print Failed. After that, I
> can no longer print from the email or browser which previously had been
> fine. I can print from the command prompt, however. Memory and disk
> space are not a problem.
>
> As this is a brand new machine, I am disinclined to think there is a
> BIOS problem. From reading various troubleshooting docs at Microsoft
> Support, I will next try the Generic/Text Only printer driver. If that
> works, does that mean that I would be limited to printing text only
> docs?
>
> Have others encountered this and figured out how to resolve it?
>
> TIA
>

> --
> CCope

TRENDING THREADS