Limited users can no longer access printer

[WinXP Pro SP1]

Basic Problem: Just w/in the last wk, the (2) limited user accounts on
our home's desktop computer have lost their ability to use the printer.
The printer is hardwired to the desktop, which, coincidentally, serves
as Host for a small WLAN. The desktop unit has 1 administrator acct and
2 limited user accts. For many previous months, the limited users could
access/use the printer consistently. The administrator account has no
problem using the printer.

What I've already done:
1.) Logged on as the limited users (both of them), and gone to
Control Panel>Printers & Faxes, to make sure that the printer in
question appears. It does.
2.) Tried to print from MS Word, and Notepad. No joy. What
happens when I try to print: The icon for the printer appears in the
system tray for a few seconds and then goes away.
3.) Have gone into the Printer & Faxes folder, right-clicked on the
printer, gone to Security tab, and made absolutely sure that the
Everyone group is included, and has the Print box checked next to it.
I've even manually-entered the user names of the limited accounts.
Makes no difference.
4.) I've even tried changing the printer from being shared, to not
shared (on the WLAN). Makes no difference.
5.) Have uninstalled the printer, then re-installed it. No help. Have
uninstalled the printer port, then re-installed. No help.
6.) Have spent 2+ hours researching Usenet posts trying to find the
solution. Haven't found it yet.

Can someone help with this? Thanks in advance!

terry b.

Have you recently installed Norton Antivirus?
www.coribright.com

<riprap1951@msn.com> wrote in message
> [WinXP Pro SP1]
>
> Basic Problem: Just w/in the last wk, the (2) limited user accounts on
> our home's desktop computer have lost their ability to use the printer.
> The printer is hardwired to the desktop, which, coincidentally, serves
> as Host for a small WLAN. The desktop unit has 1 administrator acct and
> 2 limited user accts. For many previous months, the limited users could
> access/use the printer consistently. The administrator account has no
> problem using the printer.
>
> What I've already done:
> 1.) Logged on as the limited users (both of them), and gone to
> Control Panel>Printers & Faxes, to make sure that the printer in
> question appears. It does.
> 2.) Tried to print from MS Word, and Notepad. No joy. What
> happens when I try to print: The icon for the printer appears in the
> system tray for a few seconds and then goes away.
> 3.) Have gone into the Printer & Faxes folder, right-clicked on the
> printer, gone to Security tab, and made absolutely sure that the
> Everyone group is included, and has the Print box checked next to it.
> I've even manually-entered the user names of the limited accounts.
> Makes no difference.
> 4.) I've even tried changing the printer from being shared, to not
> shared (on the WLAN). Makes no difference.
> 5.) Have uninstalled the printer, then re-installed it. No help. Have
> uninstalled the printer port, then re-installed. No help.
> 6.) Have spent 2+ hours researching Usenet posts trying to find the
> solution. Haven't found it yet.
>
> Can someone help with this? Thanks in advance!
>
> terry b.

HELLO, CARI
No I have not recently installed NAV (I had serious problems w/ it
and quit using it a long time ago.) Matter of fact, I have NO antivirus
apps running on the desktop at present, altho I've done several online
AV scans w/in the last 2 wks & feel confident the sys is clean....)
This evening, trying to fix the problem: totally-uninstalled the
printer again, went to the hp driver-download site (the printer is an
hp psc 1210 all-in-one), downloaded the latest driver pkge they had,
and installed....NO JOY [:-((
Any other ideas?

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Have you recently installed Norton Antivirus?
> www.coribright.com
>
> <riprap1951@msn.com> wrote in message
> > [WinXP Pro SP1]
> >
> > Basic Problem: Just w/in the last wk, the (2) limited user accounts
on
> > our home's desktop computer have lost their ability to use the
printer.
> > The printer is hardwired to the desktop, which, coincidentally,
serves
> > as Host for a small WLAN. The desktop unit has 1 administrator acct
and
> > 2 limited user accts. For many previous months, the limited users
could
> > access/use the printer consistently. The administrator account has
no
> > problem using the printer.
> >
> > What I've already done:
> > 1.) Logged on as the limited users (both of them), and gone to
> > Control Panel>Printers & Faxes, to make sure that the printer in
> > question appears. It does.
> > 2.) Tried to print from MS Word, and Notepad. No joy. What
> > happens when I try to print: The icon for the printer appears in
the
> > system tray for a few seconds and then goes away.
> > 3.) Have gone into the Printer & Faxes folder, right-clicked on
the
> > printer, gone to Security tab, and made absolutely sure that the
> > Everyone group is included, and has the Print box checked next to
it.
> > I've even manually-entered the user names of the limited accounts.
> > Makes no difference.
> > 4.) I've even tried changing the printer from being shared, to not
> > shared (on the WLAN). Makes no difference.
> > 5.) Have uninstalled the printer, then re-installed it. No help.
Have
> > uninstalled the printer port, then re-installed. No help.
> > 6.) Have spent 2+ hours researching Usenet posts trying to find
the
> > solution. Haven't found it yet.
> >
> > Can someone help with this? Thanks in advance!
> >
> > terry b.

Can they print if you change the Advanced Settings in Printer Properties to
print Direct instead of the default (use printer spooler)?

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Can they print if you change the Advanced Settings in Printer
Properties to
> print Direct instead of the default (use printer spooler)?
> www.coribright.com
>
><snip>

HELLO, CARI !
I meant to reply sooner, but w/ the holiday busy-ness.....
Yes--your suggestion worked. I appreciate it! Guess that means that
the limited users on the unit will be able to print, but they won't be
able to 'stack up' print jobs/make use of the spooling service. Right?
That'll have to work, I guess. If that's the best that WindowsXP can
do, that's the way it is....Have a Happy Holiday, & thanks for the help
[:))

terry b.