  • NAS / RAID
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
May 24, 2005 6:04:28 AM

I'm not much of a raider, not being in a guild even close to raiding
nor having enough time to dedicate to such a lengthy process. Just
wanted to get that out of the way...

This weekend I was invited to several pickup raids, or at least I
guess they were pickup though in one case most of the raid members
were from the same guild. While there I noticed a few things that I'd
like verification on.

1) the rotation channel notifications vary widely.
2) CH delay is sometimes not even mentioned, let alone defined.

The first raid did what I thought would be ideal.
Determine order and spammers
hotkey " CH on >>> %T <<< - %next_cleric is Next!
The delay was set at 2 seconds in the channel prior to engagement,
fine given that we only had 5 CH'ers.

The second raid was odd imo.
hotkey was " CH [[[[ %T ]]]] xxx" xxx being the position in
the rotation you are holding. ie. 333 or 444
This seems to lend itself to confusion if anything deviates from the
plan, and something always does.
Cast delay was not a topic until I mentioned it. On this one we only
had 4 CH'ers so it was even more critical I thought.

Btw, the first raid was a massive wipe in under 30 seconds. HoH
dragon that feared all the clerics but the tank resisted. Dead inside
of 2 seconds. Second tank lasted about 14 seconds then the dead. No
3rd tank designated.
The second raid designated 3 tanks. A named mob popped on us as we
were engaging the target. Not all dead but failed raid. Had time to
try it again. Second time around did 2 things differently.
1) clerics discussed delay casting. some of these guys were all over
the place in cast time. I knew the first time we weren't gonna make
it. Took about 45 seconds to get it together second round but it
worked out.
2) we brought in a warrior to tank. original tanks had been SK,
Paladin, SK. All went down hard and fast.
With warrior as tank and clerics finally getting a system down the
second attempt was successful and some necro got his 1.5 epic.

I got bupkiss but it was fun none the less. Didn't join a pickup raid
for loot and XP after all.

But it makes me wonder; how do some of these raids succeed? Seems to
me that without decent clerics it's over quick. And I don't mean uber
clerics in the Ultimate Guild, but just common sense and a little
reading. I've only been on 5 raids now total, and nothing of the
level of Time or GoD. Cleric epic 1.0, HoH flag (I think that's what
it was anyway), necro epic 1.5, and monk epic 1.0. All at level 65 or
better, so I'm no expert at this. But it sure seemed to me like I
knew more than most out there.

Side note: raids are fun if you're not managing the show. Just
showing up, buffing, and going balls-to-the-wall was a blast. But
trying to get all us monkeys working as a unit is not fun.

~F

More about : clerics raids

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:04:29 AM

On Tue, 24 May 2005 02:04:28 GMT, Faeandar <mr_castalot@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>But it makes me wonder; how do some of these raids succeed?

With pickup raids, usually luck is all that can make or break raid(s).
It's usually a good idea to plan raid ahead of time so more people
could come in but not all raids can be planned. For example, some
raid mob are timed hours or days from the last kill or last server
reset and often pickup raid is the only way to guarantee such mobs.

Pickup raid or not, I often go if I have the time. I've had many
wipes but it's for fun anyway :)
May 24, 2005 12:34:06 PM

In alt.games.everquest, Faeandar <mr_castalot@yahoo.com> wrote:

>But it makes me wonder; how do some of these raids succeed?

Raid leaders who realise that the key element to a successful raid is
successful communication.

You can't win a raid by good communication alone, but you will fail most
raids where the communication is bad.

Once a raid force has raided over and over again, and knows each other, and
how each other work, and what is expected, communication becomes
short-hand, but in a raid where people don't know each other, half the
people have never raided, the rest have but all using different techniques,
clear and concise communication is the best weapon you have.

--
Tony Evans (ICQ : 170850)
GCv312 GCS d s+:++ a C+++ UAL++++$ P+ L++ E W(++) N+++(N--) w++$ R+ tv-- b++

wrote:

>I'm not much of a raider, not being in a guild even close to raiding
>nor having enough time to dedicate to such a lengthy process.

Same here.

>This weekend I was invited to several pickup raids,

Again,same here.

>1) the rotation channel notifications vary widely.
>2) CH delay is sometimes not even mentioned, let alone defined.
>
>The first raid did what I thought would be ideal.
> Determine order and spammers
> hotkey " CH on >>> %T <<< - %next_cleric is Next!
>The delay was set at 2 seconds in the channel prior to engagement,
>fine given that we only had 5 CH'ers.

We used this,worked fine,my 1st CH chain ever.

>But it makes me wonder; how do some of these raids succeed?

I think for one its the equipment nowadays,and the other key is the
raid leader.
I suppose people setting up a pickup raid want their alts have
flagged.
My Raid leader seemed very experienced,we did 6 Raids in 24h and
didnt wipe once,raid targets were Grummus,Hedge,Terris Thule,
Maniac Behemoth,Tallon and Vallon Zek.
At most we were 35 people in Raid.

I still find raids boring,1h setting up,1h killing trash mobs,2
minutes boss killing.I prefere single group content like (L)don
or the new missions,this gives me more the feeling that my
contribution really counts and I have to give my best to succeed.
Though I have to say the charm upgrade is pretty nice from the
few PoP raids. =)

Mheldur
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 7:03:12 PM

Faeandar <mr_castalot@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I'm not much of a raider, not being in a guild even close to raiding
> nor having enough time to dedicate to such a lengthy process. Just
> wanted to get that out of the way...
>
> This weekend I was invited to several pickup raids, or at least I
> guess they were pickup though in one case most of the raid members
> were from the same guild. While there I noticed a few things that I'd
> like verification on.
>
> 1) the rotation channel notifications vary widely.
> 2) CH delay is sometimes not even mentioned, let alone defined.

Pickup raids are highly variable in quality...

The healing method should be determined up front on anything but a
trivial raid. It might be a heal rotation, it might be fast heals, it
might be a combination. If noone is doing this up front, try to take the
initiative, or find someone who knows the raid, and can do so.

> The first raid did what I thought would be ideal.
> Determine order and spammers
> hotkey " CH on >>> %T <<< - %next_cleric is Next!
> The delay was set at 2 seconds in the channel prior to engagement,
> fine given that we only had 5 CH'ers.
>
> The second raid was odd imo.
> hotkey was " CH [[[[ %T ]]]] xxx" xxx being the position in
> the rotation you are holding. ie. 333 or 444
> This seems to lend itself to confusion if anything deviates from the
> plan, and something always does.

So long as all are in agreement on what the messages are, it's probably
not that important. Always be ready to pick up the slack if the one
before you does not appear to cast for whatever reason. One reason the
numbers are better than just a name, is if the named cleric goes oom, or
dies, or LDs, then it's easier to track by number rather than trying to
decide if you were after whoever_next_cleric_was.

<snip>

> Side note: raids are fun if you're not managing the show. Just
> showing up, buffing, and going balls-to-the-wall was a blast. But
> trying to get all us monkeys working as a unit is not fun.

And this is why I don't lead raids...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:36:54 PM

>> The first raid did what I thought would be ideal.
>> Determine order and spammers
>> hotkey " CH on >>> %T <<< - %next_cleric is Next!
>> The delay was set at 2 seconds in the channel prior to engagement,
>> fine given that we only had 5 CH'ers.
>> The second raid was odd imo.
>> hotkey was " CH [[[[ %T ]]]] xxx" xxx being the position in
>> the rotation you are holding. ie. 333 or 444
>> This seems to lend itself to confusion if anything deviates from the
>> plan, and something always does.
> So long as all are in agreement on what the messages are, it's
> probably not that important. Always be ready to pick up the slack if
> the one before you does not appear to cast for whatever reason. One
> reason the numbers are better than just a name, is if the named cleric
> goes oom, or dies, or LDs, then it's easier to track by number rather
> than trying to decide if you were after whoever_next_cleric_was.

In our normal guild raid our clerics prefer that they each have a fairly
unique message, it makes it easier to spot when its your turn.
!