Skyrim lags when installed on mechanical disc

iller

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Hi,
I just bought a new ssd hard drive which I have installed in my computer. Because of the size of the disc (60 GB) I only have the operative system installed on it, and all the games at my mechanical disc (1 TB). All the games operate fine on that disc (like Metro 2033 and mw2), except Skyrim. When I play, it lags when turning the camera and when it loads new areas. I have tried to remove all the mods and play fully vanilla. However, it didn't help. Before I bought the new disc I played Skyrim at my other disc (1 TB) and it worked perfect at ultra graphics.
Does anyone know the reason behind this?

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T

RAM: 8.2 GB

Video card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Thanks in advance!

I just reinstalled Skyrim on my PC recently and experienced a similar issue that I don't recall having before. Come to think of it, I may have last had Skyrim on my system prior to my SSD as well. Not sure though.

The stutter/loading affect doesn't always appear in all places for me. I use a second monitor to monitor my desktop (which has GPU/CPU monitoring widgets) and my video cards typically don't max out for RAM use.

You could try different driver versions for your GPU to see if that has any affect. I haven't been playing Skyrim much so I haven't bothered trying myself. None of my other games have the issue. :)

P.S. I've also noticed in some areas I also get some graphic abnormalities with Skyrim this time around too. It doesn't appear to be mod related, and my GPU temps are stable and plenty cool enough so it does not appear to be an issue there. Again, this 'could' be a driver related problem too. But I haven't tried other driver versions as I'm not playing Skyrim much.

iller

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Do you simply mean that I should try old versions? Like "GeForce 296.10 Driver" instead of "GeForce 301.42 Driver", which is the latest. Some games requires the latest version of your GPU drivers, so it seams a bit complex to install a new one every time you change game. But it's maybe worth it when it's only between Skyrim and all the other games you will have to change.

Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

DM186

Splendid
If Skyrim is a Steam Game then do the Verify Integrity of Game Cache. Also what drivers were you using before you added the SSD? I would try those drivers and use a driver sweeper program.

When reinstalling the drivers select custom installl then select clean install then boot up. Let us know if it works or not and good luck to you.

iller

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Thank you DM186! Verify Integrity of Game Cache did the trick. Everything now runs smoothly.
The problem didn't seam to have anything to do with drivers though; I tried two different drivers after the verification, and both worked fine.

However, thanks jerreece for your reply and suggestion.

iller

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Or it actually had something to do with the drivers. Now when I tried to play again it started to lag. So I installed another driver and it worked.
Sorry for that!
This is the driver which works: "GeForce 296.10 Driver"
if someone has the same problem.
Thanks again.