Problems with network printing on newly installed Epson St..

December 20, 2004 5:51:01 PM

Hi-

I recently got a new printer and am unable to get it working as well as the
old one. In particular I cannot print from another computer using network
printing.
I have an Epson CX6600 "All In One". I am able to install the printer ok on
the remote machine using browse for printers (though it comes up with a
different name from the "Share As" name that was specified when I enabled
print sharing on the other side: "Epson Stylus CX6600 Series on <machine
name>" rather than EPSONSty).

When I do print test page (or trying to print from Wordpad as the
Troubleshooter suggests), the print job just sits in the queue and never
comes out). I can cancel it and go back to the other machine (which the
printer is local to) and do the same thing just fine from there after
cancelling the first job (I've done it from either machine and it is visible
on either machine when you open the printer).

The only difference that I can observe when I print locally is that Owner is
my user name on that machine, but shows up as Guest when printing over the
network.

I even tried enabling the guest account on the printer local machine to see
if Guest could print from there and I found that it could.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers a few times, I've tried
getting the latest drivers from the EPSON website...and I'm stymied...
Any suggestions?

Both machines are Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2. I disabled
Security on both of them as otherwise the networking didn't seem to work.
I'm behind a firewall, so am not too worried about the security right now,
though in time might want to figure out how to have security enabled and
still allow file sharing.

File sharing, by the way, works just fine between the two machines, I'm
using Workgroup networking.

Thanks
-Paul Ries
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 10:29:01 PM

Ok, I solved my own problem (well not really, I read and followed some other
messages on this forum, but the suggestion was something I had thought of
trying already).

After opening the Printers and Faxes on the start bar, I changed the
properties of the printer in question from "Spool print documents so program
finishes printing faster" to "Print directly to the printer".

However, I'd still like to know if there is a better way...giving up print
spooling especially when printing locally, so that I'm able to print from the
network seems like an unfortunate tradeoff.

Thanks
-Paul Ries

"Paul Ries" wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I recently got a new printer and am unable to get it working as well as the
> old one. In particular I cannot print from another computer using network
> printing.
> I have an Epson CX6600 "All In One". I am able to install the printer ok on
> the remote machine using browse for printers (though it comes up with a
> different name from the "Share As" name that was specified when I enabled
> print sharing on the other side: "Epson Stylus CX6600 Series on <machine
> name>" rather than EPSONSty).
>
> When I do print test page (or trying to print from Wordpad as the
> Troubleshooter suggests), the print job just sits in the queue and never
> comes out). I can cancel it and go back to the other machine (which the
> printer is local to) and do the same thing just fine from there after
> cancelling the first job (I've done it from either machine and it is visible
> on either machine when you open the printer).
>
> The only difference that I can observe when I print locally is that Owner is
> my user name on that machine, but shows up as Guest when printing over the
> network.
>
> I even tried enabling the guest account on the printer local machine to see
> if Guest could print from there and I found that it could.
>
> I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers a few times, I've tried
> getting the latest drivers from the EPSON website...and I'm stymied...
> Any suggestions?
>
> Both machines are Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2. I disabled
> Security on both of them as otherwise the networking didn't seem to work.
> I'm behind a firewall, so am not too worried about the security right now,
> though in time might want to figure out how to have security enabled and
> still allow file sharing.
>
> File sharing, by the way, works just fine between the two machines, I'm
> using Workgroup networking.
>
> Thanks
> -Paul Ries
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 3:06:00 PM

Hey there Paul,

I was having the same problem as you with the same printer at my work,
I ended up calling Epson senior level tech for this answer... so you
owe me. :)

Here is the solution:

First make sure the printer is installed properly on the server and
make note of the server name and the printer share name (you must share
the printer on the network) on the server computer.

next on the client computer, Go to Printers and Faxes from the control
panel

In Printers and faxes, delete any epson stylus cx6600 printers in that
window.

Next click File --> Server properties

In the Server Properties window switch to the drivers tab, find any
references to the cx6600 and remove them.

close the server properties window.

Next click "Add Printer"

Click "next" past the welcome to add printer wizrd screen

In the "Local or Network Printer" screen, choose "Local Printer" and
UNCHECK Autodetect printer.... then click "next"

in the "select a printer port" window just click "next" (it doesnt
matter what port is selected, we'll just change it later)

it will detect for a moment then in the "Install Printer Software"
screen click "Have Disk"

In the "Install from disk" screen browse to the
CDrom\Drivers\printer\win2k_xp folder and select the E_DF19EA.inf and
click "Open"

You should now be back at the "Install From Disk screen". Click "Ok"

Now from the "Install Printer Software" screen again, click "Next"

It will ask you to put in a printer name, (call it whatever you want or
leave it) click "next"

when asked to share choose "Do Not Share" and click "next"

It will then ask to print a test page, choose "DO NOT print test page"
and click "next"

Click Finish in the wizard..

Now the fun part :)

In the "Printers and Faxes" window rightclick the Epson Stylus CX6600
and click "Properties"

click the "ports" tab at the top of the window

Click "Add port"

In the "Printer Ports" window that comes up choose "Local Port" and
click the "New Port" button

now type in "\\servercomputername\printersharename" where
servercomputername is the name of the computer we made note of earlier
and printersharename is the share name of the printer that we made note
of earlier (Eg. \\main\epsoncx6600)

Click "ok"

Click "close" to close the "Printer Ports" screen

Click Apply in the "Printers Properties" and then go back to the
general tab.

Try printing a test page from here.

That should do it.

Just a note tho, It still takes a while to actually print once we've
sent a print job to it, for a two page letter, it took about 1 minute
to even start printing, but at least we dont have to turn off the spool
to printer feature on the server so now we can use all our programs
without them freezing for a few seconds every time we want to print
something.

I hope this helps man.

Noel
January 16, 2005 6:01:01 AM

Thanks Noel, that did the trick! -Paul
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:14:11 PM

Thanks Noel, I had the EXACT same problem and your suggestion did the
trick! It works like a champ now! (Thanks for dealing with Tech
Support for us. I was pulling my hair out trying to get it to work.)
-alex-
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:15:03 AM

Thanks Noel,
Your suggestion was very useful. I brought the printer yesterday and i
have been trying to setup the network printer.

Thanks Again
Kartik

!