Overclocking Soyo Dragon+ and AMD Athlon XP 1700+

executor

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Anyone who have tried overclocking an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ with Soyo DRAGON+ Motherboard? Whats the highest possible "overclockable rate"? whats the settings?

"Who is General Failure and why is he reading my disk?"

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My friend has an XP 1800+ running in a Dragon+ and he's gotten up to somewhere around 150 MHz. FSB. which would give you around 1650 MHz. on your 1700+

Unless you unlock the chip, you're left with simply increasing the FSB speed until something else gives way. These chips can do more if you unlock em'.

Scout

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i just got this setup. i had the fsb up to 155, that was before i had an os on the drive, so it was just sitting at the bios screen for a while. i just wanted to see how high i could get it, i was impressed. default voltage.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

lbailey949

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
I have the Dragon Plus running a AthlonXP 2000+ 12X Multiplier with a FSB of 153, and it's perfectly stable. Thats 1846MHz!

Best Regards,
Lonnie Bailey

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
I have couple questions and it might sound stupid to you gurus. What does "unclock" mean? Does it mean the same as "overclock"? If I want to overclock my AMD 1900+ with Soyo Dragon Plus, how do I go about doing it? I have a Volcano 7 heatsink fan.

lbailey949

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
Ulocking the your AMD CPU gives you access to more of the multipliers 8x, 9X, 10X, 11X, etc. If it's locked, then you can only use AMD's specified multiplier. You can still increase your FSB and get more speed with their multiplier, but the real speed comes when you use a multiplier lower than theirs, and increase your FSB to it's max. So if two computer are running proccessors at 1GHz, and one is at a FSB speed of 166, and one is at 133, the 166 machine is going to be much faster. The goal is to find the fastest CPU speed you can run, and the fastest FSB speed you can run. Once you have thos settings figured out, you just have to figure out the multiplier that get you nearest to both. In the case of the Soyo Dragon, I would't bother unlocking your CPU, it's difficult, and you won't be able to gain much, if any speed unlocking it. I recomend just turning up your FSB as high as you can with their auto multiplier, and using the Turbo setting. You'll get plenty of extra speed this way, and you don't have to worry about killing the CPU.

Best Regards,
Lonnie Bailey

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
You probably wouldn't understand...but anyway, you get better results by lowering the muliplier and increasing the FSB. With a 1700+, well it's far from its limit with a multiplier of 11, you can get the thing around 2100/2200 speeds, leveling out at around 1700Mhz or so. Meaning, with a mult of 11, your max FSB will float around 154. Lower the muliplier on of unlocked AXP 1700+ to, say 9.5, and you can get around 183Mhz FSB. Of course, the AXP with 183FSB will perform better.

You can't really kill the CPU if you unlock it carefully...all you do is pour on some superglue, then use tape (who hasn't used tape) and coat the L1 bridges 1 by 1 with silver laquer. Not really that hard, mostly time consuming.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

lbailey949

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
------------------------------------------------------
You probably wouldn't understand...but anyway, you get better results by lowering the muliplier and increasing the FSB. With a 1700+, well it's far from its limit with a multiplier of 11, you can get the thing around 2100/2200 speeds, leveling out at around 1700Mhz or so. Meaning, with a mult of 11, your max FSB will float around 154. Lower the muliplier on of unlocked AXP 1700+ to, say 9.5, and you can get around 183Mhz FSB. Of course, the AXP with 183FSB will perform better.
----------------------------------------------------------

In the case of the Soyo Dragon+, your not going to be able to get a FSB faster than 155MHz, if your lucky. It has to many confirmed problems.

---------------------------------------------------------
You can't really kill the CPU if you unlock it carefully...all you do is pour on some superglue, then use tape (who hasn't used tape) and coat the L1 bridges 1 by 1 with silver laquer. Not really that hard, mostly time consuming.
----------------------------------------------------------

It's a pain in the ass without a microscope, and not worth the trouble for this particular Mobo.

Best Regards,
Lonnie Bailey

Andyddr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Try this link to find out what we are talking about:
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/01q4/011112/index.html
Unlocking is a way of making the processor faster without having to increase the FSB (front side bus) which is 133mhz for the 1400+ to 2200+ XP processors.

Unlocking can be a very painfull experience so try to get as much information on it as u can. Not doing it correctly could lead to a bust CPU. Well looks like you have some time as u want to keep the system for 4 years!

Your new hardware is out-of-date

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Why can't you increase the multipler for the cpu. I have a SOYO dragon (no suffix) and a Tbird 1.4. I haven't done anything to the CPU, but I can increase the CPU multiplier all the way to 16x. Are the XP's different?

What does the HSBC in HSBC Arena (Sabres)stand for? Holy S*@! Buffalo's Cold!!!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
The Thunderbird 1.33Ghz and 1.4Ghz come multiplier locked, ALL other Athlons have locked multipliers. It would be REALLY stupid though to up the multiplier on a 1.33Ghz or 1.4Ghz to 16...you'd be running a 2128Mhz Thunderbird, that thing would put out crazy heat, IF you managed to get it stable at that speed.

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
LOL!!! No...it has never entered my mind to try and get it to 16x...I'd have to put up radiation shielding!!!! Gawd.. I can see it now. The police would arrive at my home and find a charred outline of my body on the wall, but man...my post screen would look beautiful!! THe fastest I've gotten it to so far is 1596mhz (stock cooler). I'm hoping to push that up to 1700 when my new Volcano 7+ comes in.

What does the HSBC in HSBC Arena (Sabres)stand for? Holy S*@! Buffalo's Cold!!!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Icky, cancel the order for the Volcano 7, get yourself an Alpha Pal8045t and a Delta 80mm fan for maximum cooling.

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I like the peformance of the Pal, but I didn't want to remove my MOBO to attach it. Also, I liked the price of the Volcano 7+. The speed control was also a plus.

Is there a synonym for Thesaurus?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Speed control is a poor gimic, the probe doesn't even touch the die, it's completely inaccurate. The probe measures the case air temp, which is a waste. If you want to use the clip, get yourself a Thermalright Sk-6+ or Slk-800 and an 80mm fan. Works better than the old Volcano 7+.

seer

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
You all like the Soyo mobo? I read good reviews and alot of user bad reviews. I was seriously considering buying the Ultra Platinum but am just about decided to run with the Asus KT333 due to all the bad user reviews on this board.
seer

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Let me tell you about my own personal nightmare.... Last night I recieved my new Volcano7+ in the mail. WHen I tried to clip it on I noticed that the fit was going to be very close. There are some capacitors in the way... Anayway, being the technical wizard that I am, I tried to force it on. The heatsink made such poor contact, that the computer wouldn't even boot. I tried to remove the cooler but the clip design is so lousy that my screwdriver slipped off several times, gouging the mobo. Then I was really worried. I put the stock cooler on and everything is fine. I have a couple of gripes about this soyo board.... 1. it doesn't have holes for me to mount anything like a pal 8045. The capacitors crowd the socket and don't allow large heat sinks. Gripes about the thermaltake cooler: 1. clip is terrible... it is small flimsy, and doesn't provide near as much pressure as my stock cooler does. 2. OMG!!! it is loud at full rpm. I didn't realize heatsink fans were actually that loud. 3. it wasn't very polished when it came. Wouldn't recommrnd one for a Dragon motherboard.

Is there a synonym for thesaurus?