putting an 80mm fan on an Arkua heatsink

jchedley

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
i have an arkua 7528 heatsink, on at athlonxp 1600... its doing very well, but its 36dbs are too noisy for me. it has a 70mm fan on it... where lies the problem - i want to put a lower rpm 80mm onto it. anybody know a good way of doing that? or should i get out the tools and make an adaptor myself... being 70mm, i can't use a 60->80 adaptor.. id like the air to still go through the air'funnel' on the arkua.

any ideas?

cheers,
john.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Why don't you just use a lower volume 70mm fan? I've had bad experience with adapters.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
You can buy a 80mm grill and attach it to the top of the heatsink using 4 machine screws and 4 washers. You then screw the fan into the grill.

See this <A HREF="http://www.2cooltek.com/retro.html" target="_new">link</A> for a step by step procedure with pictures. This is a 60mm to a 80mm but it will work for you are well.

<b>"Kenny! Give me the whoobie."

"You don't feed a baby chile!" - Mr. Mom</b> :lol:

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
jeez, why didnt i think of that?
just wasted £5 on a crappy adaptor which doesnt even work.

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

jchedley

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
i cant find 70mm fans anywhere.... does anybody else know of any????

thanks for the replies, ill be looking into that grill method...

john.