Printer Sharing for Workgroup

Have a home network setup this way:

1 PC - Workgroup "MSHOME"
3 Laptops - Workgroup "MSHOME"

PC wired into a wireless router. Laptops connected wirelessly to router. All
machines can "see" each other, but cannot get to any shared folders or
Printers. All machines running XP sp2. Get error about not having
permission to access this network resource. I am quite good at domain
based networks but not workgroups. What did I miss ???

TIA
3 answers Last reply
More about printer sharing workgroup

    In a workgroup, each computer's user account is completely independent and
    can not be used to access resources on another computer, as can be done in a
    domain.

    If computer A has a resource (e.g. a folder or printer share), a user on
    computer B must get "authenticated" on computer A using a user account that
    is know on computer A.

    Usually, a fairly easy way to do this is to create user accounts on all of
    the computers that have the same username and password and make sure that
    this user account does have appropriate permissions to the resource. Then,
    logon to each of the computers with one of those user accounts. Don't
    forget that the default Share Permissions are Read Only for folder shares,
    no matter what the NTFS permissions are set to.

    If the username and password of the logged on user on computer B are
    identical to a user account known on computer A, authentication on computer
    A when a resource is accessed is automatic.

    If the username of the logged on user on computer B is the same as a known
    account on computer A, but the passwords are different on the two computers,
    authentication of that user account on computer A will not be possible and
    you won't be able to access resources on computer A.

    If the username logged on to computer B is not known on computer A, the user
    will get a prompt for credentials when accessing a folder share, but not
    when accessing a printer share. To access a shared printer, first access a
    folder share to get the authentication prompt and supply appropriate
    credentials. After that, you should be able to use the shared printer with
    the already authenticated credentials.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    "_M_" <here@gone.com> wrote in message
    > Have a home network setup this way:
    >
    > 1 PC - Workgroup "MSHOME"
    > 3 Laptops - Workgroup "MSHOME"
    >
    > PC wired into a wireless router. Laptops connected wirelessly to router.
    > All
    > machines can "see" each other, but cannot get to any shared folders or
    > Printers. All machines running XP sp2. Get error about not having
    > permission to access this network resource. I am quite good at domain
    > based networks but not workgroups. What did I miss ???
    >
    > TIA

    As soon as you get the permissions error, immediately suspect user accounts.

    Make sure the laptop user accounts are duplicated on the PC (and vice-versa,
    if you want to access shares on the laptops). Make sure you have both the
    username and the password on the PC.

    Windows uses local information to determine user rights. If you come across
    a network, and you are not on a domain, Windows will still use local info.
    (Imagine what would happen if it trusted everyone.)

    courtney sends....

    "_M_" <here@gone.com> wrote in message
    > Have a home network setup this way:
    >
    > 1 PC - Workgroup "MSHOME"
    > 3 Laptops - Workgroup "MSHOME"
    >
    > PC wired into a wireless router. Laptops connected wirelessly to router.
    > All
    > machines can "see" each other, but cannot get to any shared folders or
    > Printers. All machines running XP sp2. Get error about not having
    > permission to access this network resource. I am quite good at domain
    > based networks but not workgroups. What did I miss ???
    >
    > TIA

    Is there anyway when using a workgroup setting that I can share a printer
    connected locally but require a password? Basically I want some people to be
    able to use the printer but not everyone.

    Thanks

    Ken

    "Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

    > In a workgroup, each computer's user account is completely independent and
    > can not be used to access resources on another computer, as can be done in a
    > domain.
    >
    > If computer A has a resource (e.g. a folder or printer share), a user on
    > computer B must get "authenticated" on computer A using a user account that
    > is know on computer A.
    >
    > Usually, a fairly easy way to do this is to create user accounts on all of
    > the computers that have the same username and password and make sure that
    > this user account does have appropriate permissions to the resource. Then,
    > logon to each of the computers with one of those user accounts. Don't
    > forget that the default Share Permissions are Read Only for folder shares,
    > no matter what the NTFS permissions are set to.
    >
    > If the username and password of the logged on user on computer B are
    > identical to a user account known on computer A, authentication on computer
    > A when a resource is accessed is automatic.
    >
    > If the username of the logged on user on computer B is the same as a known
    > account on computer A, but the passwords are different on the two computers,
    > authentication of that user account on computer A will not be possible and
    > you won't be able to access resources on computer A.
    >
    > If the username logged on to computer B is not known on computer A, the user
    > will get a prompt for credentials when accessing a folder share, but not
    > when accessing a printer share. To access a shared printer, first access a
    > folder share to get the authentication prompt and supply appropriate
    > credentials. After that, you should be able to use the shared printer with
    > the already authenticated credentials.
    >
    > --
    > Bruce Sanderson MVP
    >
    > It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
    >

    > "_M_" <here@gone.com> wrote in message
    > > Have a home network setup this way:
    > >
    > > 1 PC - Workgroup "MSHOME"
    > > 3 Laptops - Workgroup "MSHOME"
    > >
    > > PC wired into a wireless router. Laptops connected wirelessly to router.
    > > All
    > > machines can "see" each other, but cannot get to any shared folders or
    > > Printers. All machines running XP sp2. Get error about not having
    > > permission to access this network resource. I am quite good at domain
    > > based networks but not workgroups. What did I miss ???
    > >
    > > TIA

Laptops Printers Windows XP