printing to PDF file from DOS apps via LPT1

December 23, 2004 2:03:03 AM

I have this old DOS program that will only print to LPT ports.
I need to print to PDF file.
I have a adobe acrobat distiller installed and tried following after making
printer share.

net use lpt1: \\computer\acrobat

but when I print, I see that a print job went into acrobat distiller printer
but it won't prompt me for a file name nor convert..
any ideas?
thanks.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 9:44:26 PM

David,

> I have this old DOS program that will only print to LPT ports.
> I need to print to PDF file.
> I have a adobe acrobat distiller installed and tried following after
making
> printer share.
>
> net use lpt1: \\computer\acrobat
>
> but when I print, I see that a print job went into acrobat distiller
printer
> but it won't prompt me for a file name nor convert..

you cannot reroute a DOS job to the Acrobat printer because it can be used
only by a Windows program.
You may want to have a look at Printfil which can connect your DOS software
the Windows Printing System, allowing you to print to any Windows printer,
including the Acrobat one.

More info and a free trial is available for download at our web site.

Regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all