newby

hi guys,
not trollin'
any of you play wow? if you do tell me -do you think everquest a better,
more "playable" game? please be honest, I play wow now but am becoming
disalusioned with the game-play. Please don't flame, I really want to hear
well reasoned replies.
thx mike
10 answers Last reply
More about newby

    "mike poole" <mlpoole@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    > hi guys,
    > not trollin'
    > any of you play wow? if you do tell me -do you think everquest a better,
    > more "playable" game? please be honest, I play wow now but am becoming
    > disalusioned with the game-play. Please don't flame, I really want to hear
    > well reasoned replies.
    > thx mike

    feel free to google the group - it was been discussed on a few occasions and
    you should get everything you need from that flame free ;)

    Rumbledor wrote:
    > WoW group
    > encounters seemed like free-for-alls with everyone doing their own thing,
    > while EQ tends to cater more to coordinated efforts.

    I've noticed that too and I was wondering why.

    I think that it is that EQ and EQ2 are grouping games whereas WoW is
    more tailored for the soloing player. In EQ1 and EQ2 people tend to
    solo when they can't find a group and in WoW (I think) people tend to
    solo until they encounter something that they need a group to overcome.
    This means that people have not got as much experience in grouping and
    so they just do their own thing. Most of the time they get away with
    it and so they aren't taught how to do it better.

    I've certainly been in a group in an instanced zone where we gave up
    and I fealt that we could have gone a lot further if we'd just
    coordinated our efforts better. The tank kept pulling when I could
    have done it - he didn't have a ranged attack and he kept running up to
    the mobs to pull and often got adds. I could use my bow to do the pull
    which would reduce the chance of adds. If we did get adds then I could
    control one of them for a while with one of my traps. I suggested this
    but they didn't want to do that in case I got agro and couldn't lose
    it. I have my pet which has a taunt and it rarely fails to keep agro
    from me if I keep my damage low so I don't think that would have been a
    problem.

    > That's just the tip of the iceberg as far as the differences between the
    > two games are concerned, though. Personally, I liked WoW ok. I just didn't
    > find it as interesting. /shrug

    In EQ2, I spent too many nights struggling to get groups which is what
    turned me to WoW.

    steve.kaye

    "mike poole" <mlpoole@freeuk.com> wrote in

    > hi guys,
    > not trollin'
    > any of you play wow? if you do tell me -do you think everquest a
    > better, more "playable" game? please be honest, I play wow now but am
    > becoming disalusioned with the game-play. Please don't flame, I really
    > want to hear well reasoned replies.
    > thx mike

    Perhaps it would be helpful if you mentioned what you didn't like about
    WoW. As far as basic gameplay goes, I'd give the edge to EQ. WoW group
    encounters seemed like free-for-alls with everyone doing their own thing,
    while EQ tends to cater more to coordinated efforts.

    That's just the tip of the iceberg as far as the differences between the
    two games are concerned, though. Personally, I liked WoW ok. I just didn't
    find it as interesting. /shrug

    Ymmv.

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    murdocj wrote:

    > A couple of places where WoW is better:
    > . The "team pvp" between horde and alliance seems to work pretty well.
    > I don't do much raiding but it adds spice to the game w/o really
    > interfering with gameplay.

    I'm guessing that you don't play on a PvP server. If you play on one
    of them it can be a real pain trying to do a quest where people from
    the opposite team are playing. If you are solo then you often have to
    leave the quest until later. I was trying to do one quest for more
    than a week before I found the area I needed to be in to be empty of
    Horde. Of course, I chose a PvP server and I could just as easily go
    to a non-PvP server if it becomes too much of a problem. I really like
    PvP when its on my terms (I like one-on-one rather than the mayhem of a
    raid)

    > . You can actually do quests "in-game" without shouting for
    > information or having to read up quests on allakazam, which also adds
    > greatly to the immersion.

    You _can_ do that but there are lots and lots of messages in the
    General channel asking where NPC X is even though the quest info quite
    clearly says exactly where it is. In the starting place for the night
    elves there were endless calls asking where the dryad woman was (SW of
    the big tree - as the log said) and where the guy near the spiders was
    (near the spider cave - not in it as some people seemed to think the
    quest info said). It does get less and less as you move onto the
    higher level zones though.

    > . I've never bought any equipment for my hunter... he just has lived
    > off drops. He is probably relatively poorly equipped but he seems to
    > do ok. I like not having to worry about getting "uber gear".

    That's the same for me plus I'm a leatherworker so about half my stuff
    is crafted. I really like that aspect of the game. I did a bit of
    "twinking" by passing on some crafted armour and a couple of daggers
    that my higher level character had found and it was very unsatisfying
    to complete an important class quest and then sell the the reward
    because I already had better.

    steve.kaye

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 02:56:50 GMT, Rumbledor
    <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

    >"mike poole" <mlpoole@freeuk.com> wrote in
    >
    >> hi guys,
    >> not trollin'
    >> any of you play wow? if you do tell me -do you think everquest a
    >> better, more "playable" game? please be honest, I play wow now but am
    >> becoming disalusioned with the game-play. Please don't flame, I really
    >> want to hear well reasoned replies.
    >> thx mike
    >>

    >Perhaps it would be helpful if you mentioned what you didn't like about
    >WoW. As far as basic gameplay goes, I'd give the edge to EQ. WoW group
    >encounters seemed like free-for-alls with everyone doing their own thing,
    >while EQ tends to cater more to coordinated efforts.
    >
    >That's just the tip of the iceberg as far as the differences between the
    >two games are concerned, though. Personally, I liked WoW ok. I just didn't
    >find it as interesting. /shrug

    I played EQ1 for 5 years or so, EQ2 briefly and am currently playing
    WoW (have a 38 hunter as my highest char). I'd agree that so far in
    WoW I'm not seeing the kind of well oiled machine that a good EQ1
    group could be. However, as I recall from EQ1, at the lower levels
    groups tended to be free for alls also. It wasn't till I started
    fighting in and around Karnors, maybe in my early 40s, that I started
    seeing really good groups, where we were getting chain pulls with the
    chanter keeping one mob parked, and continuously fighting. I suspect
    that at the higher levels in WoW you start seeing better group
    coordination.

    A couple of places where WoW is better:
    .. WoW is much more solo friendly. Much less "downtime". In fact,
    downtime really doesn't exist in WoW.
    .. No zoning in WoW. Gives you much more of a sense of immersion.
    .. I know some people think the graphics are "cartoony" but I think the
    graphics are beautiful, and the zones seem to have much more character
    than in EQ1.
    .. The "team pvp" between horde and alliance seems to work pretty well.
    I don't do much raiding but it adds spice to the game w/o really
    interfering with gameplay.
    .. You can actually do quests "in-game" without shouting for
    information or having to read up quests on allakazam, which also adds
    greatly to the immersion.
    .. I've never bought any equipment for my hunter... he just has lived
    off drops. He is probably relatively poorly equipped but he seems to
    do ok. I like not having to worry about getting "uber gear".

    Anyway, my 2 cp.

    <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 May 2005 02:56:50 GMT, Rumbledor
    > <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"mike poole" <mlpoole@freeuk.com> wrote in
    > >
    > >> hi guys,
    > >> not trollin'
    > >> any of you play wow? if you do tell me -do you think everquest a
    > >> better, more "playable" game? please be honest, I play wow now but am
    > >> becoming disalusioned with the game-play. Please don't flame, I really
    > >> want to hear well reasoned replies.
    > >> thx mike
    > >>

    > >Perhaps it would be helpful if you mentioned what you didn't like about
    > >WoW. As far as basic gameplay goes, I'd give the edge to EQ. WoW group
    > >encounters seemed like free-for-alls with everyone doing their own thing,
    > >while EQ tends to cater more to coordinated efforts.
    > >
    > >That's just the tip of the iceberg as far as the differences between the
    > >two games are concerned, though. Personally, I liked WoW ok. I just didn't
    > >find it as interesting. /shrug
    >
    > I played EQ1 for 5 years or so, EQ2 briefly and am currently playing
    > WoW (have a 38 hunter as my highest char). I'd agree that so far in
    > WoW I'm not seeing the kind of well oiled machine that a good EQ1
    > group could be. However, as I recall from EQ1, at the lower levels
    > groups tended to be free for alls also. It wasn't till I started
    > fighting in and around Karnors, maybe in my early 40s, that I started
    > seeing really good groups, where we were getting chain pulls with the
    > chanter keeping one mob parked, and continuously fighting. I suspect
    > that at the higher levels in WoW you start seeing better group
    > coordination.

    Due to the way the "skill trees" in WoW are implemented, class dynamics (and
    thus group dynamics) have no need to change as you get higher level. Using
    your reference as an example, the enchanter class changes quite a lot from
    lower levels to higher levels in EQ, comparatively speaking.

    > A couple of places where WoW is better:
    > . WoW is much more solo friendly. Much less "downtime". In fact,
    > downtime really doesn't exist in WoW.
    > . No zoning in WoW. Gives you much more of a sense of immersion.
    > . I know some people think the graphics are "cartoony" but I think the
    > graphics are beautiful, and the zones seem to have much more character
    > than in EQ1.
    > . The "team pvp" between horde and alliance seems to work pretty well.
    > I don't do much raiding but it adds spice to the game w/o really
    > interfering with gameplay.
    > . You can actually do quests "in-game" without shouting for
    > information or having to read up quests on allakazam, which also adds
    > greatly to the immersion.
    > . I've never bought any equipment for my hunter... he just has lived
    > off drops. He is probably relatively poorly equipped but he seems to
    > do ok. I like not having to worry about getting "uber gear".

    I would count all those as positives as well. In spite of that, there is
    *something* wrong with WoW in my opinion. I get the sense that it's just a
    touch too easy. In EQ, I'm "high end" and still get my ass handed to me if I do
    something stupid. In WoW, I was baseline, and could play with reckless
    abandon. Some people probably see that as a positive, but I prefer a little
    more risk to go with my reward.

    Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in

    > <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 26 May 2005 02:56:50 GMT, Rumbledor

    < snip >

    >> A couple of places where WoW is better:
    >> . WoW is much more solo friendly. Much less "downtime". In fact,
    >> downtime really doesn't exist in WoW.
    >> . No zoning in WoW. Gives you much more of a sense of immersion.
    >> . I know some people think the graphics are "cartoony" but I think
    >> the graphics are beautiful, and the zones seem to have much more
    >> character than in EQ1.
    >> . The "team pvp" between horde and alliance seems to work pretty
    >> well. I don't do much raiding but it adds spice to the game w/o
    >> really interfering with gameplay.
    >> . You can actually do quests "in-game" without shouting for
    >> information or having to read up quests on allakazam, which also adds
    >> greatly to the immersion.
    >> . I've never bought any equipment for my hunter... he just has lived
    >> off drops. He is probably relatively poorly equipped but he seems to
    >> do ok. I like not having to worry about getting "uber gear".
    >
    > I would count all those as positives as well. In spite of that, there
    > is *something* wrong with WoW in my opinion. I get the sense that
    > it's just a touch too easy. In EQ, I'm "high end" and still get my
    > ass handed to me if I do something stupid. In WoW, I was baseline,
    > and could play with reckless abandon. Some people probably see that
    > as a positive, but I prefer a little more risk to go with my reward.

    I agree. It served as an interesting diversion for a short while, but
    nothing with any sort of staying power comparable to EQ as far as I'm
    concerned.

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 21:03:09 +0100 in
    <d72llt$10g$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, "mike poole" <mlpoole@freeuk.com>
    graced the world with this thought:

    >hi guys,
    >not trollin'
    >any of you play wow? if you do tell me -do you think everquest a better,
    >more "playable" game? please be honest, I play wow now but am becoming
    >disalusioned with the game-play. Please don't flame, I really want to hear
    >well reasoned replies.
    >thx mike

    I don't play WoW, but you sound like you've been here before... heheh

    Thanks for your time -
    I was hoping soloing might be easier on everquest:(

    "mike poole" <mlpoole@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    > hi guys,
    > not trollin'
    > any of you play wow? if you do tell me -do you think everquest a better,
    > more "playable" game? please be honest, I play wow now but am becoming
    > disalusioned with the game-play. Please don't flame, I really want to hear
    > well reasoned replies.
    > thx mike

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 14:47:36 GMT, Rumbledor
    <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

    >Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in
    >
    >> <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 26 May 2005 02:56:50 GMT, Rumbledor
    >
    >< snip >
    >
    >>> A couple of places where WoW is better:
    >>> . WoW is much more solo friendly. Much less "downtime". In fact,
    >>> downtime really doesn't exist in WoW.
    >>> . No zoning in WoW. Gives you much more of a sense of immersion.
    >>> . I know some people think the graphics are "cartoony" but I think
    >>> the graphics are beautiful, and the zones seem to have much more
    >>> character than in EQ1.
    >>> . The "team pvp" between horde and alliance seems to work pretty
    >>> well. I don't do much raiding but it adds spice to the game w/o
    >>> really interfering with gameplay.
    >>> . You can actually do quests "in-game" without shouting for
    >>> information or having to read up quests on allakazam, which also adds
    >>> greatly to the immersion.
    >>> . I've never bought any equipment for my hunter... he just has lived
    >>> off drops. He is probably relatively poorly equipped but he seems to
    >>> do ok. I like not having to worry about getting "uber gear".
    >>
    >> I would count all those as positives as well. In spite of that, there
    >> is *something* wrong with WoW in my opinion. I get the sense that
    >> it's just a touch too easy. In EQ, I'm "high end" and still get my
    >> ass handed to me if I do something stupid. In WoW, I was baseline,
    >> and could play with reckless abandon. Some people probably see that
    >> as a positive, but I prefer a little more risk to go with my reward.
    >
    >I agree. It served as an interesting diversion for a short while, but
    >nothing with any sort of staying power comparable to EQ as far as I'm
    >concerned.

    I think the opposite side of the "too easy" coin is that WoW never
    feels like a grind. Usually what happens is that I go off, spend a
    session doing part of a quest (or maybe a couple of quests, depending)
    and then am pleasantly surprised when I see that I've gotten some
    experience. I'm never staring at my experience bar, wondering if I'm
    going to see it move a pixel after then next kill.

    Overall what appeals to me is that it seems like Blizzard got "the
    little things" right. For example, travel. When EQ decided to make
    travel easier, they just implemented insta-ports. As people have
    said, you lose the sense of the Everquest world. In WoW, you can fly
    places, but you have to visit there first, and the flights take
    time... in some cases, a LOT of time.

    The shared bank vs. mailing stuff to alts is another case where I
    think Bliizzard just got it right.

World Of Warcraft Games Video Games