Video Card Presario 5WV430

I have just tried to install a PCI based GeForce 5200 into my computer to
replace the aging Nvidia Vanta LT but it would not sync properly with my
Compaq MV740 17" monitor and kept resetting it. Has anyone else had similar
experiences?
There seem to be rumours that Compaq equipment is not quite 'compatible' and
I notice that the monitor VGA cable is even missing a couple of pins.
I am tending to see the sense in the "Friends don't let friends buy Compaq".
Maybe we should warn HP.

hh

Very seldom does a monitor require all 15 pins of a subD connector. Most
have "missing pins." Also why slow your video down by using a PCI video card
if you have an AGP slot?
HH

"For example: John Smith" <For example: someone@microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:cs82oq$mco$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...