Windows Fax Not Working

I have been using the WinXP fax software to send & receive faxes& all has
been OK up until now. Now however, if I try to send a fax from say excel or
word & nominate "Fax" as the printer it just aborts the procedure.

I have recently run the Network setup wizard to try to set up a small
network using a router/internet connection. I am unsure if this is the cause
of the problem The fax driver is called Shrfax or something similar and the
icon for the fax console has the hand underneath it which would indicate its
shared

My setup is Windows XP Home edition with SP2 applied. All I wish to do is
send some faxes but now simply cannot do so.

Regards

Describe in detail what you changed just before "up until now." You have
provided us no troubleshooting information.
Moreover, Windows XP Fax has no driver called "Shrfax" nor can it be shared.
There is much more to your story that you are telling us.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"OnTheGlim" <OnTheGlim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been using the WinXP fax software to send & receive faxes& all has
> been OK up until now. Now however, if I try to send a fax from say excel
> or
> word & nominate "Fax" as the printer it just aborts the procedure.
>
> I have recently run the Network setup wizard to try to set up a small
> network using a router/internet connection. I am unsure if this is the
> cause
> of the problem The fax driver is called Shrfax or something similar and
> the
> icon for the fax console has the hand underneath it which would indicate
> its
> shared
>
> My setup is Windows XP Home edition with SP2 applied. All I wish to do is
> send some faxes but now simply cannot do so.
>
> Regards

I have detailed exactly what circumstances have prevailed.

If I select Print/Fax from excel then the print window that appears has in
it "Microsoft Shared Fax Driver which has the title SHRFAX against the entry
"Where".

The only change I have made from yesterday when I succesfully used the Fax
component of WinXP was to run the WinXP Network Wizard in an attempt to set
up a small wireless network using a router. The fax component worked
yesterday prior to running the network wizard. It now does not. I have not
installed any other software since the last succesfull use of the fax
component.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Describe in detail what you changed just before "up until now." You have
> provided us no troubleshooting information.
> Moreover, Windows XP Fax has no driver called "Shrfax" nor can it be shared.
> There is much more to your story that you are telling us.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "OnTheGlim" <OnTheGlim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been using the WinXP fax software to send & receive faxes& all has
> > been OK up until now. Now however, if I try to send a fax from say excel
> > or
> > word & nominate "Fax" as the printer it just aborts the procedure.
> >
> > I have recently run the Network setup wizard to try to set up a small
> > network using a router/internet connection. I am unsure if this is the
> > cause
> > of the problem The fax driver is called Shrfax or something similar and
> > the
> > icon for the fax console has the hand underneath it which would indicate
> > its
> > shared
> >
> > My setup is Windows XP Home edition with SP2 applied. All I wish to do is
> > send some faxes but now simply cannot do so.
> >
> > Regards

What printers appear in Control Panel > Printer and Faxes?
Tell us more about this "attempt" to set up a wireless network. What exactly
did you do? You haven't really detailed anything exactly. I understand that
you ran the WinXP Network Wizard. That tells me nothing.
--
>I have detailed exactly what circumstances have prevailed.
>
> If I select Print/Fax from excel then the print window that appears has in
> it "Microsoft Shared Fax Driver which has the title SHRFAX against the
> entry
> "Where".
>
> The only change I have made from yesterday when I succesfully used the Fax
> component of WinXP was to run the WinXP Network Wizard in an attempt to
> set
> up a small wireless network using a router. The fax component worked
> yesterday prior to running the network wizard. It now does not. I have not
> installed any other software since the last succesfull use of the fax
> component.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Describe in detail what you changed just before "up until now." You have
>> provided us no troubleshooting information.
>> Moreover, Windows XP Fax has no driver called "Shrfax" nor can it be
>> shared.
>> There is much more to your story that you are telling us.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "OnTheGlim" <OnTheGlim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have been using the WinXP fax software to send & receive faxes& all
>> >has
>> > been OK up until now. Now however, if I try to send a fax from say
>> > excel
>> > or
>> > word & nominate "Fax" as the printer it just aborts the procedure.
>> >
>> > I have recently run the Network setup wizard to try to set up a small
>> > network using a router/internet connection. I am unsure if this is the
>> > cause
>> > of the problem The fax driver is called Shrfax or something similar and
>> > the
>> > icon for the fax console has the hand underneath it which would
>> > indicate
>> > its
>> > shared
>> >
>> > My setup is Windows XP Home edition with SP2 applied. All I wish to do
>> > is
>> > send some faxes but now simply cannot do so.
>> >
>> > Regards

In the control panel there are two printers shown.

1. Fax
2. HP 4050N PCL6

I ran the network wizard on 2 PCs both running XP in order to set up file
and printer sharing using my router that I connect to the Internet with. Its
a broadband router with one PC hard wired to it. The other PC is wireless.
The hard wired PC is the one I am experiencing the fax problems with.

I placed the ticks in the boxes on the windows that appeared to get the
network set up and that was it. I am not specifically stating that this was
the absolute cause of the fax problem but I have not made any other changes
to the PC.

The fax console icon as it now appears on my desktop has the hand symbol
underneath it, if that is related to anything I am unsure. But it certainly
indicates its a Microsoft Shared Fax Driver in the Print/Fax window.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> What printers appear in Control Panel > Printer and Faxes?
> Tell us more about this "attempt" to set up a wireless network. What exactly
> did you do? You haven't really detailed anything exactly. I understand that
> you ran the WinXP Network Wizard. That tells me nothing.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "OnTheGlim" <OnTheGlim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have detailed exactly what circumstances have prevailed.
> >
> > If I select Print/Fax from excel then the print window that appears has in
> > it "Microsoft Shared Fax Driver which has the title SHRFAX against the
> > entry
> > "Where".
> >
> > The only change I have made from yesterday when I succesfully used the Fax
> > component of WinXP was to run the WinXP Network Wizard in an attempt to
> > set
> > up a small wireless network using a router. The fax component worked
> > yesterday prior to running the network wizard. It now does not. I have not
> > installed any other software since the last succesfull use of the fax
> > component.
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Describe in detail what you changed just before "up until now." You have
> >> provided us no troubleshooting information.
> >> Moreover, Windows XP Fax has no driver called "Shrfax" nor can it be
> >> shared.
> >> There is much more to your story that you are telling us.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "OnTheGlim" <OnTheGlim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

The Fax Console icon? What do you mean? The Fax Printer cannot be shared.
When you examine the properties of your Fax Printer, what do you see?
Did you do anything to the modem the Fax Printer uses? When you open the Fax
Console and examine the Fax Printer status in Tools, what do you see?
--
> In the control panel there are two printers shown.
>
> 1. Fax
> 2. HP 4050N PCL6
>
> I ran the network wizard on 2 PCs both running XP in order to set up file
> and printer sharing using my router that I connect to the Internet with.
> Its
> a broadband router with one PC hard wired to it. The other PC is wireless.
> The hard wired PC is the one I am experiencing the fax problems with.
>
> I placed the ticks in the boxes on the windows that appeared to get the
> network set up and that was it. I am not specifically stating that this
> was
> the absolute cause of the fax problem but I have not made any other
> changes
> to the PC.
>
> The fax console icon as it now appears on my desktop has the hand symbol
> underneath it, if that is related to anything I am unsure. But it
> certainly
> indicates its a Microsoft Shared Fax Driver in the Print/Fax window.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> What printers appear in Control Panel > Printer and Faxes?
>> Tell us more about this "attempt" to set up a wireless network. What
>> exactly
>> did you do? You haven't really detailed anything exactly. I understand
>> that
>> you ran the WinXP Network Wizard. That tells me nothing.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "OnTheGlim" <OnTheGlim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have detailed exactly what circumstances have prevailed.
>> >
>> > If I select Print/Fax from excel then the print window that appears has
>> > in
>> > it "Microsoft Shared Fax Driver which has the title SHRFAX against the
>> > entry
>> > "Where".
>> >
>> > The only change I have made from yesterday when I succesfully used the
>> > Fax
>> > component of WinXP was to run the WinXP Network Wizard in an attempt to
>> > set
>> > up a small wireless network using a router. The fax component worked
>> > yesterday prior to running the network wizard. It now does not. I have
>> > not
>> > installed any other software since the last succesfull use of the fax
>> > component.

I cannot send or recieve faxes. have windows XP. i get error message saying
line unavailable. My (aztech CNR2900 v.90) modem is connected to my phone
socket and status says inactive line.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Odd, my Brother MFC720cn is shared. One winXP system (the one it's attached
to) sees the printer and scanner via the USB connection, and the fax via the
ethernet connection. Other XP systems see the fax and scanner via the
ethernet connection, and the printer as a TCP/IP printer, or as a printer
connected to the winXP system via USB.
I suppose all vendor supplied software is not equal.

You can send a fax via any of the pc's. A received fax is usually printed. A
fax can be received by the pc connected via the USB port if the fax software
is placed into receive mode.

Prior to this, the last fax sharing we used was accomplished using win 3.11
and a third party winsock that was part of Super TCP.. It seems that Msoft
did not support all the whistles and bells needed in the ms winsock.

> The Fax Console icon? What do you mean? The Fax Printer cannot be shared.
> When you examine the properties of your Fax Printer, what do you see?
> Did you do anything to the modem the Fax Printer uses? When you open the
> Fax Console and examine the Fax Printer status in Tools, what do you see?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "OnTheGlim" <OnTheGlim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> In the control panel there are two printers shown.
>>
>> 1. Fax
>> 2. HP 4050N PCL6
>>
>> I ran the network wizard on 2 PCs both running XP in order to set up file
>> and printer sharing using my router that I connect to the Internet with.
>> Its
>> a broadband router with one PC hard wired to it. The other PC is
>> wireless.
>> The hard wired PC is the one I am experiencing the fax problems with.
>>
>> I placed the ticks in the boxes on the windows that appeared to get the
>> network set up and that was it. I am not specifically stating that this
>> was
>> the absolute cause of the fax problem but I have not made any other
>> changes
>> to the PC.
>>
>> The fax console icon as it now appears on my desktop has the hand symbol
>> underneath it, if that is related to anything I am unsure. But it
>> certainly
>> indicates its a Microsoft Shared Fax Driver in the Print/Fax window.
>>

>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>>
>>> What printers appear in Control Panel > Printer and Faxes?
>>> Tell us more about this "attempt" to set up a wireless network. What
>>> exactly
>>> did you do? You haven't really detailed anything exactly. I understand
>>> that
>>> you ran the WinXP Network Wizard. That tells me nothing.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "OnTheGlim" <OnTheGlim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I understand what he's trying to do, I'm trying to do the same...

I have 3 Comps networked together in my home

1 desktop and 2 wireless laptops, a slave hard drive and my printer are shared out over my network and work FANTASTICLY

Now, the 1 desktop which has Vista, has the "Microsoft Fax Service" installed, it's icon appears next too the icon for my printer

When you right-click on the fax and move down to "sharing" it opens the fax properties tabs and says "Sharing is not allowed for this device" or something to that extent

IF you could share the printer device on the desktop, i would be able to send a fax from the laptops wirelessly to the desktop, and then the desktop would fax it out for me

The whole point of this would be, to work on a document on a laptop (or even another desktop somewhere on the network in my home), then be able to fax it out as though I was printing it...

What I've come up with is this, XP-Vista-2000-98 DO NOT ALLOW YOU TO SHARE A FAX PERIOD!!!
Windows 95 might be an exception, don't know, havn't tried

BUT... I went to the computer lab at school and found out something very interesting

if you use Windows Server 2003 (which is the only one I could find) After you install Microsoft's Fax Services and begin the initial Setup, one of the VERY FIRST things it asks you is..... "Would you like to Share this Fax Machine?" and comes with a detailed discription informing you that OTHER computers on the network CAN use that fax machine

I have yet to find any 3rd party stuff, I have yet to find a way to cheat the system, and i have yet to experamant by using a networked printer/copier/scan/fax