Franklin

i have a network print server set up and working just fine from this XP
laptop, but i'm having trouble doing an analogous thing for the fax. the
(remote) server is the one that has the phone line connected to it, and has a
shared fax printer configured. but the fax wizard in XP only sees the modem
in the laptop. is there a way to configure XP so that applications can fax
via the shared network fax?

thanks in advance!

You failed to provide us with the network fax software you are using. Seems
rather important to know that. Windows XP Fax can be a client only to
Windows 2003 Server Fax and SBS Fax. Which are you using?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Franklin" <Franklin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a network print server set up and working just fine from this XP
> laptop, but i'm having trouble doing an analogous thing for the fax. the
> (remote) server is the one that has the phone line connected to it, and
> has a
> shared fax printer configured. but the fax wizard in XP only sees the
> modem
> in the laptop. is there a way to configure XP so that applications can fax
> via the shared network fax?
>
> thanks in advance!

Franklin

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the quick reply. Apologies for not being more
specific. In this case, all the sharing is (for better or worse)
being run through an OS X box with Windows sharing and
printer sharing enabled. This setup works perfectly for the
printers, and the fax is treated (I think) as a special printer.
Not sure this is even possible, since a fax job has, by definition,
additional meta-data (fax number, cover page info, etc.) that an
ordinary print job does not.

I will also try posting this on the OS X side, in case someone on
those forums has managed to make this work.

Thank you in any case for any suggestions.

OS X as in Mac?
If so, I can assure you Windows XP Fax cannot serve as a client.
--
> Hi Russ,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. Apologies for not being more
> specific. In this case, all the sharing is (for better or worse)
> being run through an OS X box with Windows sharing and
> printer sharing enabled. This setup works perfectly for the
> printers, and the fax is treated (I think) as a special printer.
> Not sure this is even possible, since a fax job has, by definition,
> additional meta-data (fax number, cover page info, etc.) that an
> ordinary print job does not.
>
> I will also try posting this on the OS X side, in case someone on
> those forums has managed to make this work.
>
> Thank you in any case for any suggestions.

Franklin

Yup, OS X as in Mac OS. I sort of figured it might be impossible to do it
this way.

Thanks for your quick response and all the best for the holidays.

You're most welcome and the same backatcha.