problem of sending international fax by using calling card

I could use my XP Fax to send or receive local fax, in addition to
receiving international fax. However, I failed in sending international fax
using calling card. Both of my fax number and the international recipents'
were given rightly, such as
+1(613)xxxxxxx, and I logged on my laptop as administrator. In addition, I
could hear four to six phone rings and then two fax rings from the
destination fax by my phone (both the calling card and the destination fax
were confirmed to be OK). Unluckly, the XP Fax monitor finally showed that
there was no answer. The calling cards I used are CiCi and Jia phone cards.
(Canada)
I viewed all the posts under the search of "calling card" in this
discussion group, without finding the answer. Problem may originate from
the phone cards themselves (they may not support XP Fax) or from my wrong
setting in somewhere. I tried many times but the results were always the
same. Could anyone give me some suggestions for resolving this problem?
Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,

spinsight
5 answers Last reply
More about problem sending international calling card

    If your Calling card settings are part of the per-user settings, you are out
    of luck with Windows XP Fax. The XP Fax Service can only run under the
    System account, so per-user settings are not available to it. Here is a
    somewhat cumbersome work-around one user came up with:

    Under general "dialing rules" in the "to access an outside line for long
    distance calls" box, use one very long prefix:

    <calling card telephone #>,,,,,,,,<1 (for English, if required)>,,<PIN>,,

    Each comma shown gives a 2 second delay, to allow for the required delays
    when calling in. You may have to adjust the commas until you get the proper
    delay. Also, I listened to my speakerphone during this procedure. It
    really helped in setting up the FAX prefix.

    Also, if the FAX telephone number fails, and the calling card message says
    that was an invalid telephone number, it may still be possible to recover
    (if the modem doesn't time out) by quickly dialing the FAX number manually
    on the telephone keypad.

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

    "spinsight" <spinsight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I could use my XP Fax to send or receive local fax, in addition to
    > receiving international fax. However, I failed in sending international
    > fax
    > using calling card. Both of my fax number and the international
    > recipents'
    > were given rightly, such as
    > +1(613)xxxxxxx, and I logged on my laptop as administrator. In addition,
    > could hear four to six phone rings and then two fax rings from the
    > destination fax by my phone (both the calling card and the destination fax
    > were confirmed to be OK). Unluckly, the XP Fax monitor finally showed
    > that
    > there was no answer. The calling cards I used are CiCi and Jia phone
    > cards.
    > (Canada)
    > I viewed all the posts under the search of "calling card" in this
    > discussion group, without finding the answer. Problem may originate from
    > the phone cards themselves (they may not support XP Fax) or from my wrong
    > setting in somewhere. I tried many times but the results were always the
    > same. Could anyone give me some suggestions for resolving this problem?
    > Thanks in advance!
    >

    > Best wishes,
    >
    > spinsight

    Hi, Hal:

    Thanks so much for your instruction. However, after doing these, I still
    have the problem. There is no question to proceed the dialing rule of
    calling card, since I could hear the fax rings from destination, which is the
    same as dialing directly by voice phone. In addition, I could fax to an
    international destination without using calling card. So, same questions
    remained: were they originated from calling cards or from wrong setting?

    Sincerely,

    Spinsight

    "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" wrote:

    > If your Calling card settings are part of the per-user settings, you are out
    > of luck with Windows XP Fax. The XP Fax Service can only run under the
    > System account, so per-user settings are not available to it. Here is a
    > somewhat cumbersome work-around one user came up with:

    > Under general "dialing rules" in the "to access an outside line for long
    > distance calls" box, use one very long prefix:
    >
    > <calling card telephone #>,,,,,,,,<1 (for English, if required)>,,<PIN>,,
    >
    > Each comma shown gives a 2 second delay, to allow for the required delays
    > when calling in. You may have to adjust the commas until you get the proper
    > delay. Also, I listened to my speakerphone during this procedure. It
    > really helped in setting up the FAX prefix.
    >
    > Also, if the FAX telephone number fails, and the calling card message says
    > that was an invalid telephone number, it may still be possible to recover
    > (if the modem doesn't time out) by quickly dialing the FAX number manually
    > on the telephone keypad.
    >
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    >
    > "spinsight" <spinsight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I could use my XP Fax to send or receive local fax, in addition to
    > > receiving international fax. However, I failed in sending international
    > > fax
    > > using calling card. Both of my fax number and the international
    > > recipents'
    > > were given rightly, such as
    > > +1(613)xxxxxxx, and I logged on my laptop as administrator. In addition,
    > > could hear four to six phone rings and then two fax rings from the
    > > destination fax by my phone (both the calling card and the destination fax
    > > were confirmed to be OK). Unluckly, the XP Fax monitor finally showed
    > > that
    > > there was no answer. The calling cards I used are CiCi and Jia phone
    > > cards.
    > > (Canada)
    > > I viewed all the posts under the search of "calling card" in this
    > > discussion group, without finding the answer. Problem may originate from
    > > the phone cards themselves (they may not support XP Fax) or from my wrong
    > > setting in somewhere. I tried many times but the results were always the
    > > same. Could anyone give me some suggestions for resolving this problem?
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >

    > > Best wishes,
    > >
    > > spinsight

    Hi, Hal:

    At least in Canada, CiCi calling card is popular and cheap for
    international calls and I cannot imagine it cannot be used by XP FAX. If you
    don't mind too much, I would like to give your the detailed information of my
    calling card and you may find what is the reason. That may be the quickest
    method to solve this problem and won't waste your time.

    Best regards,

    Spinsight

    "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" wrote:

    > If your Calling card settings are part of the per-user settings, you are out
    > of luck with Windows XP Fax. The XP Fax Service can only run under the
    > System account, so per-user settings are not available to it. Here is a
    > somewhat cumbersome work-around one user came up with:

    > Under general "dialing rules" in the "to access an outside line for long
    > distance calls" box, use one very long prefix:
    >
    > <calling card telephone #>,,,,,,,,<1 (for English, if required)>,,<PIN>,,
    >
    > Each comma shown gives a 2 second delay, to allow for the required delays
    > when calling in. You may have to adjust the commas until you get the proper
    > delay. Also, I listened to my speakerphone during this procedure. It
    > really helped in setting up the FAX prefix.
    >
    > Also, if the FAX telephone number fails, and the calling card message says
    > that was an invalid telephone number, it may still be possible to recover
    > (if the modem doesn't time out) by quickly dialing the FAX number manually
    > on the telephone keypad.
    >
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    >
    > "spinsight" <spinsight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I could use my XP Fax to send or receive local fax, in addition to
    > > receiving international fax. However, I failed in sending international
    > > fax
    > > using calling card. Both of my fax number and the international
    > > recipents'
    > > were given rightly, such as
    > > +1(613)xxxxxxx, and I logged on my laptop as administrator. In addition,
    > > could hear four to six phone rings and then two fax rings from the
    > > destination fax by my phone (both the calling card and the destination fax
    > > were confirmed to be OK). Unluckly, the XP Fax monitor finally showed
    > > that
    > > there was no answer. The calling cards I used are CiCi and Jia phone
    > > cards.
    > > (Canada)
    > > I viewed all the posts under the search of "calling card" in this
    > > discussion group, without finding the answer. Problem may originate from
    > > the phone cards themselves (they may not support XP Fax) or from my wrong
    > > setting in somewhere. I tried many times but the results were always the
    > > same. Could anyone give me some suggestions for resolving this problem?
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >

    > > Best wishes,
    > >
    > > spinsight

    So, you're saying the number is dialed by your modem both with and without
    the calling card, the difference being that your modem does not detect the
    destination answering when you use a calling card and DOES detect the
    destination answering if you dial directly? If this is the case and the
    only difference is the calling card service, this may be difficult to solve
    as they may be the trouble source.

    Hal
    --

> [...]
    >> > could hear four to six phone rings and then two fax rings from the
    >> > destination fax by my phone (both the calling card and the destination
    >> > fax
    >> > were confirmed to be OK). Unluckly, the XP Fax monitor finally showed
    >> > that
    >> > there was no answer. The calling cards I used are CiCi and Jia phone
    >> > cards.
    >> > (Canada)
    >> > I viewed all the posts under the search of "calling card" in this
    >> > discussion group, without finding the answer. Problem may originate
    >> > from
    >> > the phone cards themselves (they may not support XP Fax) or from my
    >> > wrong
    >> > setting in somewhere. I tried many times but the results were always
    >> > the
    >> > same. Could anyone give me some suggestions for resolving this

    Hi, Hal:

    Thanks first for your help.
    It is more likely problem lies in the calling card, as you suggested. I
    inquired the calling card service to confirm this possibility, but they told
    me that I could try it and they didn't guarantee the result. Probably, the
    CiCi provides a ISP which is so different from that of my direct long
    distance service.

    Thank you again for your help and your time on my problem.

    Best regards,

    Spinsight

Phones Fax Windows XP