Compaq Presarrio

A friend has a Compaq Presarrio (500 model I think). He cannot get it to
switch on. The power supply lights up but the laptop is dead, whether he
uses battery or mains.

Any idea what this can be?

Many thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about compaq presarrio

    "ChrisB" <chris@wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >A friend has a Compaq Presarrio (500 model I think). He cannot get it to
    >switch on. The power supply lights up but the laptop is dead, whether he
    >uses battery or mains.

    Have similiar problem with 2100, one guy told me to look for a new
    motherboard, you can't play with module cards in the notebooks :(

    In article <csblj2$hec$1@atlantis.news.tpi.pl>, skooby
    <skooby@nospam.neostrada.pl> writes
    >"ChrisB" <chris@wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>A friend has a Compaq Presarrio (500 model I think). He cannot get it to
    >>switch on. The power supply lights up but the laptop is dead, whether he
    >>uses battery or mains.
    >
    >Have similiar problem with 2100, one guy told me to look for a new
    >motherboard, you can't play with module cards in the notebooks :(

    When you say the power supply lights up do you mean the light on the
    external AC adapter unit or do you mean the power light on the laptop?
    Have you checked the voltage out of the AC Adapter into the laptop?

    I do not know the 500 series, however I believe they were(are) desktops.

    If it is more than a couple of years old it might be worth checking the
    RTC battery. Take it out and leave the laptop for a little while,
    without AC power and main battery. Press and hold the power on button
    for 30 seconds before inserting a new RTC battery, the main battery and
    connecting the AC power.

    This is the best I can do for you. If you can get the details of the
    laptop (series, model number and possible serial number) they are on the
    underside of the laptop, you can get e-mail and real time support from
    the compaq site http://h20179.www2.hp.com/psgna/caller/chat.asp

    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

    ChrisB wrote:
    > A friend has a Compaq Presarrio (500 model I think). He cannot get it to
    > switch on. The power supply lights up but the laptop is dead, whether he
    > uses battery or mains.
    >
    > Any idea what this can be?
    >
    > Many thanks

    I had the exact problem on a Compaq Armada 7400 notebook. In my case the
    solution was to replace the RTC battery. Because the main battery was
    always discharging quickly I also replaced it, with a good second hand one.

    The main problem was the RTC.

    These HP/Compaq sites may also be of assistance:-

    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/

    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?admit=716493758+1104534030553+28353475#overview

    HTH
    --
    Regards
    Echy

    Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
    www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

    Thanks everyone. Will pass on your comments to him and keep you posted.

    Cheers

    Chris
    "Echy" <acuhcewrongone@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > ChrisB wrote:
    >> A friend has a Compaq Presarrio (500 model I think). He cannot get it to
    >> switch on. The power supply lights up but the laptop is dead, whether he
    >> uses battery or mains.
    >>
    >> Any idea what this can be?
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    > I had the exact problem on a Compaq Armada 7400 notebook. In my case the
    > solution was to replace the RTC battery. Because the main battery was
    > always discharging quickly I also replaced it, with a good second hand
    > one.
    >
    > The main problem was the RTC.
    >
    > These HP/Compaq sites may also be of assistance:-
    >
    > http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/
    >
    > http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?admit=716493758+1104534030553+28353475#overview
    >
    > HTH
    > --