Sierra Wireless MP555-GPS, anybody heard of it?

Lockline sent my wife a replacement Sierra Wireless 555 PCMCIA card (not).
After 6 weeks of wondering why we didn't get our insurance replacement, we
bit the bullet and canceled the line. Days later a Sierra Wireless
MP555-GPS arrives, we don't even bother to open it.

Short story: I went to return the PCMCIA item to lockline, and opened the
box. It appears to be an external bolt onto your hummer, Military Grade Air
"unit" as it isn't a card. It is HUGE, has mounting instructions and all,
came with power connections, antenna cable, it is shock resistant and about
the size of a small paperback. I did a search for MP555-GPS (yes it is gps
enabled voice & data) and it is awesome, and retails for $853.00 Does
anybody have a use for this? Has anybody ever heard of who does use this,
or do I by accident have a military grade air "box". Still shrink wrapped,
how odd; and don't get me started on how long it took Lockline to get me
this close to the wrong thing.

Okay: They said that they guarantee a replacement unit within 30 days. As
30 days came/went, I asked them what rights the guarantee gives me <duh> was
the reply. How odd.
--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you. Worried about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.

I don't know anything about that unit, but...

I have a Sierra Wireless AirCard 300 that I got a few years back and never
used.

Is this still valid and usable?

It is a SWAC300 for Compaq IPAC. It is PCMCIA with Docs, CD and antenna,
still in original packaging.

Do you know if this could be used on Verizon; or what additional I need to
know about to determine if it is still compatible with today's cellular
systems?

"dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in
message news:QTg_d.6321$ZB6.739@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> Lockline sent my wife a replacement Sierra Wireless 555 PCMCIA card (not).
> After 6 weeks of wondering why we didn't get our insurance replacement, we
> bit the bullet and canceled the line. Days later a Sierra Wireless
> MP555-GPS arrives, we don't even bother to open it.
>
> Short story: I went to return the PCMCIA item to lockline, and opened the
> box. It appears to be an external bolt onto your hummer, Military Grade
> Air "unit" as it isn't a card. It is HUGE, has mounting instructions and
> all, came with power connections, antenna cable, it is shock resistant and
> about the size of a small paperback. I did a search for MP555-GPS (yes it
> is gps enabled voice & data) and it is awesome, and retails for $853.00
> Does anybody have a use for this? Has anybody ever heard of who does use
> this, or do I by accident have a military grade air "box". Still shrink
> wrapped, how odd; and don't get me started on how long it took Lockline to
> get me this close to the wrong thing.
>
> Okay: They said that they guarantee a replacement unit within 30 days. As
> 30 days came/went, I asked them what rights the guarantee gives me <duh>
> was the reply. How odd.
> --
> dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
> Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
> Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
> computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.
>
> If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
> you. Worried about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.

All the ones I have seen around here are in the trunks of Police cars. They
are very often used by Police for their in car computers with the GPS for
AVL.
http://www.sierrawireless.com/ProductsOrdering/mp555.asp

Now I'd love one for my broadcast truck. Tell you what I'll swap you a 555
Card for it?

John