Two printers, not wanting either to be default

Tags:
  • Lexmark
  • Printers
  • Windows XP
December 28, 2004 5:37:08 PM

I have a HP LaserJet 6L printer and a Lexmark X1185 All in One printer. One
is hooked up the old-fashioned way with the printer cable. The Lexmark is
connected via USB port. Do I have to have a default printer or can I fix it
so that each time I go to print something it will let me choose between the
two?

More about : printers wanting default

December 28, 2004 8:41:39 PM

A default is necessary. Some apps use the default to automatically format
the displayed version of the document or other output.
"Rebecca" <Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP LaserJet 6L printer and a Lexmark X1185 All in One printer.
>One
> is hooked up the old-fashioned way with the printer cable. The Lexmark is
> connected via USB port. Do I have to have a default printer or can I fix
> it
> so that each time I go to print something it will let me choose between
> the
> two?
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:56:59 AM

Most apps have a File->Print menu where you can choose the printer to print
to. The print icon 'button' that is usually displayed always goes to the
default printer; however, if you change the printer through File->Print, the
print button is redirected to that printer for that session. Once you close
the app and reopen, the button goes back to the default printer.