lpt1 gone can't print

December 29, 2004 12:13:01 AM

I recently installed Windows XP on my pc. I had Window 98 but did not use the
upgrade. I reformatted my hard drive and installed XP clean. I then installed
SP2 and all other security patches available. I installed a HP deskjet 850C.
When installataion was complete I asked that a test page be printed. After 90
sec the printer faulted out with an error. No more descriptive than that. I
checked and noticed that LPT1 does not exist in system hardware. The printer
was installed on LPT1. There isn't any LPT2 or 3 either. The printer was not
connected to the computer during the installation of Windows XP. The print
drivers appear to be the latest. The HP website claims the most current
drivers are already included with XP. I installed another printer port from
the control panel add hardware. I added it as LPT3. I deleted the printer. I
then reinstalled it on LPT3. The printer faulted this time after 90 sec with
a no paper fault. The printer has paper and does not indicate that it is out
of paper. I can print the self test page from the printer. The printer worked
fine on Windows 98 and was installed on LPT1. My BIOS setting is EPP for the
parallel port. It is using interupt 7. Any suggestions on how to resolve
this problem?

More about : lpt1 print

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 3:06:05 AM

"Mike V" <MikeV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed Windows XP on my pc. I had Window 98 but did
>not use the
> upgrade. I reformatted my hard drive and installed XP clean. I
> then installed
> SP2 and all other security patches available. I installed a HP
> deskjet 850C.
> When installataion was complete I asked that a test page be
> printed. After 90
> sec the printer faulted out with an error. No more descriptive
> than that. I
> checked and noticed that LPT1 does not exist in system hardware.
> The printer
> was installed on LPT1. There isn't any LPT2 or 3 either. The
> printer was not
> connected to the computer during the installation of Windows XP.
> The print
> drivers appear to be the latest. The HP website claims the most
> current
> drivers are already included with XP. I installed another printer
> port from
> the control panel add hardware. I added it as LPT3. I deleted the
> printer. I
> then reinstalled it on LPT3. The printer faulted this time after
> 90 sec with
> a no paper fault. The printer has paper and does not indicate that
> it is out
> of paper. I can print the self test page from the printer. The
> printer worked
> fine on Windows 98 and was installed on LPT1. My BIOS setting is
> EPP for the
> parallel port. It is using interupt 7. Any suggestions on how to
> resolve
> this problem?

EPP is usually used for non-printer peripherals such as optical
drives or Zip drives. The DeskJet requires either SPP or ECP. You
have to enable ECP in BIOS.

--
Earl F. Parrish
Anonymous

I enabled ECP in the BIOS and I still get the printer out of paper error
after 90 sec. The printer still doesn't show an out of paper error. I tried
turning the printer off for 10sec and back on to see if this would work. No
luck. What should I try next?

"Earl F. Parrish" wrote:

> EPP is usually used for non-printer peripherals such as optical
> drives or Zip drives. The DeskJet requires either SPP or ECP. You
> have to enable ECP in BIOS.
>

> --
> Earl F. Parrish

Related resources
January 2, 2005 1:17:01 AM

Hi Mike,
> I have the exact problem you have. I have two HP printers one an Deskjet 400 an the other a deskjet 880c, both worked fine until I installed sp2. I ahve searched the net all over trying to find a solution. Have you been successful in getting you printer to work? If so how?

Thanks

Chris

"Mike V" wrote:

> I recently installed Windows XP on my pc. I had Window 98 but did not use the
> upgrade. I reformatted my hard drive and installed XP clean. I then installed
> SP2 and all other security patches available. I installed a HP deskjet 850C.
> When installataion was complete I asked that a test page be printed. After 90
> sec the printer faulted out with an error. No more descriptive than that. I
> checked and noticed that LPT1 does not exist in system hardware. The printer
> was installed on LPT1. There isn't any LPT2 or 3 either. The printer was not
> connected to the computer during the installation of Windows XP. The print
> drivers appear to be the latest. The HP website claims the most current
> drivers are already included with XP. I installed another printer port from
> the control panel add hardware. I added it as LPT3. I deleted the printer. I
> then reinstalled it on LPT3. The printer faulted this time after 90 sec with
> a no paper fault. The printer has paper and does not indicate that it is out
> of paper. I can print the self test page from the printer. The printer worked
> fine on Windows 98 and was installed on LPT1. My BIOS setting is EPP for the
> parallel port. It is using interupt 7. Any suggestions on how to resolve
> this problem?
January 2, 2005 4:41:08 AM

As a last resort.
Set the port in bios to spp.
You may need to uninstall the existing printer drivers.
Poweroff & reboot.
Install XP compatable drivers.
Another possibility is to go to the HP web site and look for a cleanup
utility for the printer drivers.
Sometimes the installs/uninstalls fail to set and clear the proper registry
entries.
Make sure that you follow any instructions with the printer drivers
concerning the order of events.
I.E install the driver first, or connect the printer first.

> Hi Mike,
>> I have the exact problem you have. I have two HP printers one an Deskjet
>> 400 an the other a deskjet 880c, both worked fine until I installed sp2.
>> I ahve searched the net all over trying to find a solution. Have you been
>> successful in getting you printer to work? If so how?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris
>

> "Mike V" wrote:
>
>> I recently installed Windows XP on my pc. I had Window 98 but did not use
>> the
>> upgrade. I reformatted my hard drive and installed XP clean. I then
>> installed
>> SP2 and all other security patches available. I installed a HP deskjet
>> 850C.
>> When installataion was complete I asked that a test page be printed.
>> After 90
>> sec the printer faulted out with an error. No more descriptive than that.
>> checked and noticed that LPT1 does not exist in system hardware. The
>> printer
>> was installed on LPT1. There isn't any LPT2 or 3 either. The printer was
>> not
>> connected to the computer during the installation of Windows XP. The
>> print
>> drivers appear to be the latest. The HP website claims the most current
>> drivers are already included with XP. I installed another printer port
>> from
>> the control panel add hardware. I added it as LPT3. I deleted the
>> printer. I
>> then reinstalled it on LPT3. The printer faulted this time after 90 sec
>> with
>> a no paper fault. The printer has paper and does not indicate that it is
>> out
>> of paper. I can print the self test page from the printer. The printer
>> worked
>> fine on Windows 98 and was installed on LPT1. My BIOS setting is EPP for
>> the
>> parallel port. It is using interupt 7. Any suggestions on how to resolve
>> this problem?
January 4, 2005 2:39:12 PM

Thanks Chuck for taking the time to write, however I've still had no luck.
Both Systems work fine with SP1, guess i'll have to leave it there.

Thankyou again :-)

"Chuck" wrote:

> As a last resort.
> Set the port in bios to spp.
> You may need to uninstall the existing printer drivers.
> Poweroff & reboot.
> Install XP compatable drivers.
> Another possibility is to go to the HP web site and look for a cleanup
> utility for the printer drivers.
> Sometimes the installs/uninstalls fail to set and clear the proper registry
> entries.
> Make sure that you follow any instructions with the printer drivers
> concerning the order of events.
> I.E install the driver first, or connect the printer first.
>
> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Mike,
> >> I have the exact problem you have. I have two HP printers one an Deskjet
> >> 400 an the other a deskjet 880c, both worked fine until I installed sp2.
> >> I ahve searched the net all over trying to find a solution. Have you been
> >> successful in getting you printer to work? If so how?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Chris
> >

> > "Mike V" wrote:
> >
> >> I recently installed Windows XP on my pc. I had Window 98 but did not use
> >> the
> >> upgrade. I reformatted my hard drive and installed XP clean. I then
> >> installed
> >> SP2 and all other security patches available. I installed a HP deskjet
> >> 850C.
> >> When installataion was complete I asked that a test page be printed.
> >> After 90
> >> sec the printer faulted out with an error. No more descriptive than that.
> >> checked and noticed that LPT1 does not exist in system hardware. The
> >> printer
> >> was installed on LPT1. There isn't any LPT2 or 3 either. The printer was
> >> not
> >> connected to the computer during the installation of Windows XP. The
> >> print
> >> drivers appear to be the latest. The HP website claims the most current
> >> drivers are already included with XP. I installed another printer port
> >> from
> >> the control panel add hardware. I added it as LPT3. I deleted the
> >> printer. I
> >> then reinstalled it on LPT3. The printer faulted this time after 90 sec
> >> with
> >> a no paper fault. The printer has paper and does not indicate that it is
> >> out
> >> of paper. I can print the self test page from the printer. The printer
> >> worked
> >> fine on Windows 98 and was installed on LPT1. My BIOS setting is EPP for
> >> the
> >> parallel port. It is using interupt 7. Any suggestions on how to resolve
> >> this problem?

January 5, 2005 1:19:27 AM

A last thought as a temporary troubleshooting aid is to unplug from any
network connection, defeat/turn off any firewall, such as the windows one
added with SP2 and see if that helps. If so, there is a way (that escapes me
at the moment) to set the firewall up and allow printing to take place.

!