Quick overclocking question

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
I just recently started overclocking my cpu and was wondering what I could do to stop my cpu from freeking out when I get it past 112 FSB? Do I have to increase the core voltage in order to get higher FSB speeds? Sorry if this seems a bit elementary, but you gotta start somewhere!
Thanks

"Don't be fooled by this clever signature..."

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
How high can you get the voltage with Stock cooling without risking frying your cpu? Right now, I'm running at 1.78 V...and I can go up to 1.850V...will this help?

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
If I want to overclock by increase the FSB multiplier instead of the FSB speed itself...do I need an increase in core voltage too?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Going a certain speed creats a certain amount of heat and requires a certain core voltage, no matter whether you're using the multiplier or the bus speed. Also, most systems will not run properly at around 124MHz because PCI is so far out of spec, requiring a step up to 133MHz FSB to allow the lower PCI divider, you should know this if you ever make it this far!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Hence, I would have to go directly to roughly 133mhz FSB in order to get it to work?? This would probably need a decent amount of cooling though?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOu should be able to get up to around 114 or higher without problems. To make the jump to 133, you'll need really good cooling and higher voltages, or a multiplier drop.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOu have an Athlon 850? A thunderbird right? You can unlock the multiplier by connecting the L1 bridges with pencil, so they look like this IIII instead of ::::

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
So, basically, I stick in a lead pencil in all 4 of the L1 slots...which would look like IIII instead od ::::?

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
And, I do this by taking the cpu out of the socket? After the L1 bridges are connected, the multiplier should be unlocked in the BIOS?

"Like most of you out there...I'm proud to be a geek!"

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
The L1 bridge is usually on top of the processor right?
Hmmm...I can't see right now because of the HSF on it...
I'm having some trouble getting it out...might have to take the whole pc apart first...
There also might be some thermal paste on the cpu...that might be another problem...any suggestions for this?

"Being Canadian, I can only stay online as long as my igloo generator is running..."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The past shouldn't cover the L1 bridges. If you want to prevent that from happening in the future, you can cover them with a piece of tape after unlocking them. Yes, they are on top, under the heatsink.