AMD mainboard/chipset combo

G

Fellow folks,
I need your high valued time please. Nothing pushing here. Im looking for assistance. Its a common one in that im simply building a new gaming set. Im well familiar with benchmarks but not to well learned in overclocking so its not a deal for me yet. Starting with the mainboard, I want an AMD layout with an efficient DDR (of cours) chipset and the top cpu. A 133 HD transfer isn't a big deal but I would like USB 2.0 (not crucial). Mostly, good single gamers (first person or strategy), with online duels next. A fast moboard chipset with maxed cpu. I already have everything else (GF 4-4600/SB Audigy/Ethernet/7200HD/CD-RW/DVD just purchased. But their irrelevent w/out a good set up. Can I get some opinions. I'm USAF and just need some help from some normal folks. Thanks and I am here for anyone with any good sense. Thanks folks.
Hudmeister

Check out the Gigabyte GA-7DXR+, with the Athlon XP 1800+, 512MB of DDR PC2100 Crucial Memory and get a couple of ATA/133 disk drives for RAID 0. Add to that an ATI Radeon 8500, and you have a high performance everything machine.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would suggest you the Iwill XP333/R, good stable, compatible, overclockable board, with a Athlon XP1800+ processor.

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Low Cost-ECS K7S5A, simple, yet balanced mobo, very inexpensive($50-80), Sis 735 Chipset, Supports DDR or SDR RAM (Depending on spending preference)

Mid-FIC AN-11 Stealth, excellent features, low cost (bout $120), Via KT266A Chipset, Promise RAID

High end-Asus A7V266-E, strong performing mobo, mid cost (not sure, roughly $200 maybe for an OEM), Via KT266A Chipset, Promise RAID, 3 Fan Headers

Go for a minimum of 256MB of Pc-2100 DDR SDRAM, preferablly 384MB or even 512MB
All the above motherboards are great performers and have a relatively reasonable price. If you want overclocking, go no further than the Asus board. If you want USB 2.0, you can get a 4 port hub, PCI, for about $40 from several different companies. For the CPU, go the AXP 1800+ for value, at about $130 or so, or the AXP 2100+ for $350 roughly.

"When there's a will, there's a way."