Whats reasonably safe with this setup...?

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I have a p4 1.7 ghz and Visiontek GF 4 TI 4600. Just put together a new case thats running cooler than room temp heh without anything oc'ed. I'm curious, with this setup, how far should i be able to push my clock and memmory speed up on my gf4 without getting stability problems? And about how much difference would it make in performance?

madtrax

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I JUST BOUGHT A FERRARI F50 CAN I TUNE IT TO GET IT TO GO FASTER!!!
THATS THE QUESTION YOUR ASKING !!!!
NO WONDER NO REPLYS

its a nice system but why oc.ing

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Yes, why the heck would you overclock a geforce4 ti? Well, if you do want to overclock it, go for higher memory speed, it makes all the difference. Geforce4 ti's have 2.8ns memory I believe, so I think the maximum (reliably) you can go is someone from 650Mhz to maybe 750Mhz or so if you are lucky. Just slowly increase the Mhz by about several (steps of like 2-5Mhz). Don't overclock it too much if you can see artifacting (objects showing up out of nowhere) or fuzz and static. Good luck dude! Good Card!

"When there's a will, there's a way."

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
if i were you...i would overclock your P4 instead of your video card...it makes more sense to do that...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
got any advise on how to do that with my Asus p4t mobo, pr497? I'd like to OC it to around 2ghz or so...i have good case cooling, running right about room temp right now, rather not have to add hyper coolers so i'm not looking for huge OC's just small ones...

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Asus makes good mobos. Okay, so the only way you can get higher frequencies would be to increase the FSB. If you want to go around 2Ghz, you could go for about 117Mhz FSB times 17 multiplier. Since it's locked, you can't adjust the multiplier. I think the Asus P4T has the FSB changes in the Bios, correct? If you want to Oc it, make sure you have a decent fan (no crappy oem), and not running too high. SLOWLY increase the FSB by 1 or 2 Mhz steps, and you can get close to 2000MHz (Since the multiplier is 17, you will increase the megahertz in segments of 17 starting at 1700Mhz) Good luck dude!

"When there's a will, there's a way."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Quetzacoatl on 03/22/02 03:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
actually...intel's stock heatsink and fan is one of the best and quietest fans out there...they're rated for much higher than they are used for...
just bump up the FSB slowly and if necessary...bump up the voltage too...
you might get to 2 ghz...i only got my 1.7 P4 to 1.9 ghz (but that was on the asus P4B)...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
For Intel...The heavy duty MC-462 rocks the party. Solid 30 celsius throughout usage. I know they are "rated higher than average use", but if it did experience a failure, I would blame the heatsink first, then the thermal diode on the P4, then maybe the mobo.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
jumping up slowly one step at a time like this, do you run a real risk of killing your proccessor or will you just experience some glitches, then have to back it down a couple steps?

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Nah, you can't hurt the processor by uping the speed. If you get any problems, you just lower the speed a bit, and everything is good again.