Sign in with
Your question

[Problem] Windows 7 Services interrupting Wireless Mouse/Keyboard?

Last response: in Windows 7
October 21, 2010 10:31:15 PM

About a week ago I went out and bought a wireless 2.4 GHz mouse and keyboard from Gear Head, KB5100W. I began noticing while using them, the keyboard/mouse would (while using it) randomly cause the computer to sleep. I then have to wait for it to suspend, and then wake it back up. The problem doesn't happen when they are not in use or not plugged in. It can happen every thirty seconds, or off and on for an hour. Pretty much randomly.

I did check to see if in devices if the USB peripheral was set to "Allow the computer to shut down this device to save power." Googled a lot, couldn't find anything.

I believe the problem has something to do with services maybe interrupting with the mouse and keyboard. Maybe one that controls the sleeping aspect? Other theory is maybe it's shorting? I know this might be a different area of the forum, but I figure it's not a hardware issue, but rather a software one relating to Windows 7. If not, sorry.

I'll probably take it back -- but would rather conqueror the issue, you know?

Any help is appreciated, thanks for reading.

------------------------------------------------------

Intel 2.4GHz Q6600 Quad-Core - 4 GB RAM
ATi Radeon 2600 PRO
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2010 10:59:42 PM

Does the keyboard have a "Sleep" button or software programmable function key? Couldn't tell from the picture on Newegg. If it does, disable it if you can and see iof the problem stops.
October 21, 2010 11:11:57 PM

Twoboxer said:
Does the keyboard have a "Sleep" button or software programmable function key? Couldn't tell from the picture on Newegg. If it does, disable it if you can and see iof the problem stops.

It has nine functions, Home - Mail - Search - Play/Pause - Plus (Sound) - Minus (Sound) - Mute - Calculator - My Computer... but no sleep or shut down button. it's really odd.

I also checked the event log, to see what happens at the moment, and sure enough it just says, "Sleep mode -- caused by button or lid." But it's simply not the case, because when the device is unplugged, no issue.

Thanks for the quick reply.
!