New Hardware Wizard Error

January 1, 2005 2:01:02 PM

Hello:

I recently installed XP sp2. Every time I boot up XP launches the "New
Hardware Found" wizard for a local HP printer.

I have checked first with HP, have reinstalled latest HP driver for XP, and
tried their suggsetions without success. They have suggested it is an XP
problem and I should try uninstalling SP2 next.

MS has helpfully posted following article Q298370
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298370>
on this problem.

According to MS's article, the next step is to delete offending registry
key. However, when I attempt to delete key, as instructed by MS article, I
get error message advising key can not be deleted. Can anyone explain why
this happeneing, what i need to do complete MS recommended fix or whether I
should reinstall sp2?

Look forward to all suggestions.

More about : hardware wizard error

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 1, 2005 3:09:15 PM

Are you logged on as an Administrator when you try the Registry fix?
www.coribright.com

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hello:
>
> I recently installed XP sp2. Every time I boot up XP launches the "New
> Hardware Found" wizard for a local HP printer.
>
> I have checked first with HP, have reinstalled latest HP driver for XP,
> and
> tried their suggsetions without success. They have suggested it is an XP
> problem and I should try uninstalling SP2 next.
>
> MS has helpfully posted following article Q298370
> <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298370>
> on this problem.
>
> According to MS's article, the next step is to delete offending registry
> key. However, when I attempt to delete key, as instructed by MS article,
> get error message advising key can not be deleted. Can anyone explain why
> this happeneing, what i need to do complete MS recommended fix or whether
> should reinstall sp2?
>
> Look forward to all suggestions.

January 1, 2005 8:11:06 PM

Carl:

Yes, I am. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your interest,

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Are you logged on as an Administrator when you try the Registry fix?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hello:
> >
> > I recently installed XP sp2. Every time I boot up XP launches the "New
> > Hardware Found" wizard for a local HP printer.
> >
> > I have checked first with HP, have reinstalled latest HP driver for XP,
> > and
> > tried their suggsetions without success. They have suggested it is an XP
> > problem and I should try uninstalling SP2 next.
> >
> > MS has helpfully posted following article Q298370
> > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298370>
> > on this problem.
> >
> > According to MS's article, the next step is to delete offending registry
> > key. However, when I attempt to delete key, as instructed by MS article,
> > get error message advising key can not be deleted. Can anyone explain why
> > this happeneing, what i need to do complete MS recommended fix or whether
> > should reinstall sp2?
> >
> > Look forward to all suggestions.

a b α HP
January 4, 2005 5:49:20 PM

I installed an HP all in one for my Dad recently. The driver that came with
the printer was a couple years old and the OS was XP SP2. The install
terminated and left a bunch of garbage in the registry. Since the software
setup failed, the uninstall program was never installed. I had to pick up
the All-in-one software removal utility to clean out all the stuff and then
I downloaded the latest driver that had come out after XP Service Pack 2 was
release and it installed fine.

HP PSC 1350

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Carl:
>
> Yes, I am. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks for your interest,
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Are you logged on as an Administrator when you try the Registry fix?
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
> > www.coribright.com
> >
> > "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Hello:
> > >
> > > I recently installed XP sp2. Every time I boot up XP launches the
"New
> > > Hardware Found" wizard for a local HP printer.
> > >
> > > I have checked first with HP, have reinstalled latest HP driver for
XP,
> > > and
> > > tried their suggsetions without success. They have suggested it is an
XP
> > > problem and I should try uninstalling SP2 next.
> > >
> > > MS has helpfully posted following article Q298370
> > > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298370>
> > > on this problem.
> > >
> > > According to MS's article, the next step is to delete offending
registry
> > > key. However, when I attempt to delete key, as instructed by MS
article,
> > > get error message advising key can not be deleted. Can anyone explain
why
> > > this happeneing, what i need to do complete MS recommended fix or
whether
> > > should reinstall sp2?
> > >
> > > Look forward to all suggestions.

January 10, 2005 6:13:03 PM

Alan:

Thanks. After several days back and forth, I learned there is no unisntall
utility for this HP printer (LJ 4000n). No uninstall utility appears in
programs, nor is it listed in "Remove" programs in start menu.

I have uninstalled printer using printer dialog, and then tried manual
reinstall by directing Wizard to latest driver downloaded from HP site. I
can get connection with printer, but when I reboot I still get error message
that hardware could not be installed because "The specified port is unknown".
Why does this error mean and waht can I do to complete install?

The HP user groups suggest I try uninstalling SP2, and then install HP
driver, but this seems an unproductive detour.

Look forward to some XP advice.

Thanks!

"Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

> I installed an HP all in one for my Dad recently. The driver that came with
> the printer was a couple years old and the OS was XP SP2. The install
> terminated and left a bunch of garbage in the registry. Since the software
> setup failed, the uninstall program was never installed. I had to pick up
> the All-in-one software removal utility to clean out all the stuff and then
> I downloaded the latest driver that had come out after XP Service Pack 2 was
> release and it installed fine.
>
> HP PSC 1350
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Carl:
> >
> > Yes, I am. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks for your interest,
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > Are you logged on as an Administrator when you try the Registry fix?
> > > --
> > > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
> > > www.coribright.com
> > >
> > > "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "New

> XP,
> XP

> registry
> article,
> why
> whether

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 10, 2005 7:46:55 PM

the problem now is all the PnP devices that are added into the registry
under System/CurrentControlSet/Enum. If you are comfortable removing the
keys the PnP function creates the keys as system. Since you are
administrator on the system you do not have access to delete the keys (by
default). The good thing is since you are administrator you can right click
on the key, select Permissions from the menu, and add machine\administrators
to the key and grant full control. Then you can delete the key referenced
in the MS KB article.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team