Digital Thermometer?

ProgramMax

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
I was reading about this guy's case the other day and it sounded quite interesting. He called it a smart case. Basically he just used some small chips like the OOPic or Stamp. These chips kept track of temperatures, leaks in the water-cooling system, and all this other great stuff.

Well a while back I was working on a robitics project and I have the OOPic from it still. The OOPic is good in many ways, but the most important thing is that it truely multiprocesses. You create objects and tell them to run while the processor works on other stuff. In my opinion that makes is a LOT better than the Stamp.

So I have all this capability sitting on my fingertips and it is just BEGGING me to make a smart case. So I started looking for parts and ran into a major problem. I can't find ANYWHERE to buy a thermometer head that I can hook up to the OOPic. Everything is either medical tools or cooking tools. Both of which have everything built in (including the lcd screen). So if anyone knows where I can buy simple thermometer heads, PLEASE let me know.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
well, i dont know exactly what it is you looking for but you could check with mother board manufacturers, they use to make the thermostat a wire you pluged into the board and taped on the proccessor somewhere.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

ProgramMax

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
Eurika! So it would just have like 2 wires and a connector that hooks to a mobo? That is PERFECT! Now that I know what I am looking for, I need to know where to get them. I will search a few mobo sites. Thanks!

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Here is one, I have the whole unit attached to my CPU heatsink. should work, just dont put the sensor between the cpu and heatsink. Otherwise, it should work perfect for you.

<A HREF="http://www.webtxt.com/articles/010901/1.htm" target="_new">CompuNurse</A>

Crashing takes on a whole new meaning at 9.8 m/s. :tongue: