Sign in with
Your question

Max CPU heat

Last response: in Overclocking
March 21, 2002 12:55:28 PM

What is the maximum heat a Atlon Xp Processor can tolerate?

More about : max cpu heat

March 21, 2002 1:31:09 PM

i read that somewhere in this forum....
i think it was 90C...but im not sure...anyways...your cpu temps shouldnt be a problem as long as they stay below 65C.

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:
March 21, 2002 8:22:34 PM

AMD claims their XP's can run up to 90 C. Well I'd shut down well before that temp. You can read the tech sheet at AMD's web site, just do a search for CPU Temp you'll find it. From what I've seen and read the XP's tend to run in 50-60 Celsius range unless you're using a heavy duty heatsink, as in my case with the MCX462 I run from 36-44 depending on ambient temps and what i'm doing at the moment. If you have a monitor built into your BIOS I'd set the warning for 5 degrees above what your 'average temp is' and you should be in good shape. If you're running at 60+ on a regular basis, I'd invest in some case air flow components or a better heatsink.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:
Related resources
March 21, 2002 9:23:59 PM

If you plan on overclocking, think about getting a heavy duty heatsink, or you wont get too far (like gains of # and P of clock speed for the AXP). If you are just running a stock AXP, don't worry too much about cooling, they can take 60 celsius and sometimes 65 celsius, albeit they are generally a little unreliable at that level. I'd shoot for about 50-60 celsius to operate.

"When there's a will, there's a way."
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2002 12:14:22 AM

This site has an article about the P4, XP and heat. I think they say around 80 Degrees is where things start to go bad.

Look it up.

Breaking things is the best way to learn!
March 22, 2002 12:29:57 AM

Read it. In experience though, I can't get any of my systems fully stable at temps above 60 celsius. Perhaps about 75 percent stability rate. Or in other words, run the system at 60 degrees for about an hour before crash/lockup/ect. They can run at 80, maybe even 90, but at that level, you are talking about the death of the processor. Btw, unless the thermal diode fails in the P4, it will not go too far above 50 or so celsius. Remember? It throttles down to preserve the health of the P4. If it DID fail, and it went above 60 celsius, then the P4 is in trouble too.

"When there's a will, there's a way."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Quetzacoatl on 03/21/02 09:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2002 12:58:47 AM

I agree entirely. I was under the impression michaelsil1 was asking about the maximum temp a cpu could take until it burns.

But I wouldn't run anything above 50 ~ 55 either. My XP 1600 (overclocked to a 2000+) runs at 47 ~ 49--which is a little high for my taste. My board will prompt me if the cpu goes above 65, but that is the minimum setting. So, though I wouldn't recommend it, I think things could operate stably up to 60 or so.

Breaking things is learning!
March 22, 2002 1:32:58 AM

i have afriend that has a p4 that goes to 70c all the time under full load

yes it is an oem setup but his chip is still going

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:
March 22, 2002 10:35:05 AM

I have to agree with the heat sink part. I f you have a crappy sink amd can skyrocket in heat under virtualy no load. This was a problem of a friend of mine. Never use a h sink that recmended by a retailer, cos mst of them are crappy. The Dragon Orb is the best, Keep the temp nice and low.

<b>BAD ASS BOYS OVERCLOCK BAD ASS TOYS</b>
March 22, 2002 10:45:33 AM

Also if ure gonna do something serious i would consider water cooling, very effective.

:cool: <font color=blue><b>BAD ASS BOYS OVERCLOCK BAD ASS TOYS</b></font color=blue> :cool:
March 22, 2002 6:29:36 PM

Well, i'm just comparing the heat here of several dells I know my friends have. I have one friend with a dimension 8100, PIV 1.5Ghz. I took off the heatsink, and it ratchated down at roughly 55, and crawling at like 60 under a full load (Multi-games at same time). Other one I know was a compaq model...not sure of make, PIV 1.6Ghz. Actually, that one almost did get around 70, roughly 65 before it kicked in the thermal diode. My point-the Oem fan is relatively crappy, get a half decent one. Even if you only spend 5 or 10 bucks, get something better.

"When there's a will, there's a way."
!