HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have "printed" several web pages from IE to a file (by creating a printer
on the port "FILE:" (specifying that they go to an hp psc 750 xi). Now I
have them on a different computer (where the 750xi is attached), and want to
print them. But I cannot figure out how. I have tried drag and drop on top
of the printer icon, "print <filename>" in a DOS window. I have tried
"opening" the file - but every application I have either fails or displays
"junk" (presumably binary content which it tries to interpret as ANSI). And
when I try to "Use the web service to find the appropriate program" I get a
"page not found" error. Does anyone know how this is done? It seems like it
should be simple; but ....

>I have "printed" several web pages from IE to a file (by creating a printer
>on the port "FILE:" (specifying that they go to an hp psc 750 xi). Now I
>have them on a different computer (where the 750xi is attached), and want to
>print them. But I cannot figure out how.

From a command prompt you should be able to do:

copy /b filename.prn lpt1:

assuming the printer is connected as LPT1

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

David,

Thanks for the note. Unfortunately my printer (which is connected via USB -
something not well known to me) does not show "LPT1:" as its port, but rather
something called "DOT4_001" (I imagine I must have let it be discovered via
plug and play).

And, interestingly when I "printed" to the files they did not get a ".prn"
extension. They have no extension.

When I try to do "copy <filename> /b lpt1:" or "copy <filename> /b prn"
the command just hangs, and never completes. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Harry

harry wrote:
> David,
>
> Thanks for the note. Unfortunately my printer (which is connected
> via USB - something not well known to me) does not show "LPT1:" as
> its port, but rather something called "DOT4_001" (I imagine I must
> have let it be discovered via plug and play).
>
> And, interestingly when I "printed" to the files they did not get a
> ".prn" extension. They have no extension.
>
> When I try to do "copy <filename> /b lpt1:" or "copy <filename> /b
> prn"
> the command just hangs, and never completes. Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry
>

> "David Lowndes" wrote:
>
>>> I have "printed" several web pages from IE to a file (by creating a
>>> printer on the port "FILE:" (specifying that they go to an hp psc
>>> 750 xi). Now I have them on a different computer (where the 750xi
>>> is attached), and want to print them. But I cannot figure out how.
>>
>> From a command prompt you should be able to do:
>>
>> copy /b filename.prn lpt1:
>>
>> assuming the printer is connected as LPT1
>>
>> Dave
>> --
>> MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Well of course it doesn't. Dave was assuming the printer was connected via
the parallel port - you can't print from the command prompt using USB
(TTBOMK). This is why I still have a parallel port printer for times like
these.
on salads.

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So how does one print such a file?

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> harry wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > Thanks for the note. Unfortunately my printer (which is connected
> > via USB - something not well known to me) does not show "LPT1:" as
> > its port, but rather something called "DOT4_001" (I imagine I must
> > have let it be discovered via plug and play).
> >
> > And, interestingly when I "printed" to the files they did not get a
> > ".prn" extension. They have no extension.
> >
> > When I try to do "copy <filename> /b lpt1:" or "copy <filename> /b
> > prn"
> > the command just hangs, and never completes. Any other thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Harry

> >> From a command prompt you should be able to do:
> >>
> >> copy /b filename.prn lpt1:
> >>
> >> assuming the printer is connected as LPT1
> >>
> >> Dave
> >> --
> >> MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
>

> Well of course it doesn't. Dave was assuming the printer was connected via
> the parallel port - you can't print from the command prompt using USB
> (TTBOMK). This is why I still have a parallel port printer for times like
> these.
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

>Thanks for the note. Unfortunately my printer (which is connected via USB -
>something not well known to me) does not show "LPT1:" as its port

Does the printer configuration have some facility that let's it appear
as a DOS compatible printer port maybe?

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Hi Harry!

Here's another post, you can interpolate for your situation....

First... Install WinXP SP1 and run MS Update. Second... get a generic
USB v2 4-Port Card (about $30... at CompUSA) and install it. If need be,
get a 2nd card for additional USB ports, but avoid the HUB. Third... To
alleviate the USB / Printer problem, try a print to file with a spooler
approach as follows...

Install your Lexmark Printer Drivers (do not connect device at this
time), only setup for the port-- FILE; set this printer as default.
Now... connect your device and let winXP install it. Setup a C:\Spool
Folder on YOUR PC and map as drive-- Y: (or what you prefer!). Get
printfile (via http://www.lerup.com/printfile/ ) and set it up as a
spooler with a link in the startup folder, to search for all files in
C:\Spool and send to local Lexmark USB Printer.

Then when printing to Lexmark FILE, type in Y:\ and give a basic name
like, file.prn or plot.plt ...then hit enter and away the print file
goes to the spool folder, then the printfile grabs it and sends it off
to the printer!

Another option is to create PLT files and then use Govert's tool--
GoPlot and send directly to device. Get it at-- http://www.output.tmfweb.nl/

Ciao!
~Terry

harry wrote:
> I have "printed" several web pages from IE to a file (by creating a printer
> on the port "FILE:" (specifying that they go to an hp psc 750 xi). Now I
> have them on a different computer (where the 750xi is attached), and want to
> print them. But I cannot figure out how. I have tried drag and drop on top
> of the printer icon, "print <filename>" in a DOS window. I have tried
> "opening" the file - but every application I have either fails or displays
> "junk" (presumably binary content which it tries to interpret as ANSI). And
> when I try to "Use the web service to find the appropriate program" I get a
> "page not found" error. Does anyone know how this is done? It seems like it
> should be simple; but ....

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm

The above information URL helps get the dos copy command to work with some
USB printers that are not connected to the LPT1: (logical these days) port.