Heat Spikes After Overclocking

G

I just overclocked my XP 1600 (1.4 Ghz) to an XP 2000+ (1.67 Ghz). I am using a Thermaltek Volcano 5 HSF. Before overclocking my system ran around 40 deg. Cel. Now it is running at 47 ~ 48 deg. Cel. I did not have to boost the CPU voltage to overclock this high. But now, every half hour or so, my CPU jumps from 47 deg. to 138 deg. and then right back down again.

So I am looking at a huge heat spike, one that should be burning up my CPU. I don't experience any errors or performance degradation.

Anyone know why?

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
your cooling is not effective enough,use the volcano 7 or the swiftech range. and the only reason for the heat spike that i can think of is that there maybe somthing wrong with your heatink's fan. one second it's running fine,cools your cpu to 47 c, one second it's running slow or even stops, causes your cpu temp to thor, if your cpu really is experiencing 138 degree every half and hr, chances are it's already been damaged by overheating. xp processor can withstand 90c, anything higher than that,it'll suffer from heat damage, my advice to you would be to get a new HSF and AS3, since you are pushing your 1.6 to the limit

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
the temp monitor is set to "degree" for the whole time thou.
it coudnt've read "'c" at one stage and read "'F" half an hr later.