hppsc1350 printer driver is unknown

After having to uninstall a problem program, my HP PSC 1350 stopped working.
(Running XP home (SP1) on a Gateway) I uninstalled and tried to reinstall,
but I now get a message "printer driver is unknown." I've tried to use the
disc and the web update for drivers. I have no problem installing it on my
husband's identical computer. I also have no problem installing my old HP
Deskjet 952C on my computer with both USB and parallel. System restore has
not helped. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the USBs. My son even ran
the Operating System repair. Can someone PLEASE help?

Run a System File Check....

from the Command Prompt, type

sfc /scannnow

(note space between c and /)
www.coribright.com

"tenaj13215" <tenaj13215@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After having to uninstall a problem program, my HP PSC 1350 stopped
> working.
> (Running XP home (SP1) on a Gateway) I uninstalled and tried to
> reinstall,
> but I now get a message "printer driver is unknown." I've tried to use
> the
> disc and the web update for drivers. I have no problem installing it on
> my
> husband's identical computer. I also have no problem installing my old HP
> Deskjet 952C on my computer with both USB and parallel. System restore
> has
> not helped. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the USBs. My son even
> ran
> the Operating System repair. Can someone PLEASE help?

Thank you for your response. I ran a System File check as you suggested -
inserted Windows CD when asked (I assume I wasn't supposed to do anything
when the welcome window opened) then waited while the Windows File Protection
ran - it completed, and closed. Was there supposed to be a message or
anything? Nothing else happened. What next? (I am definitely entering an
unknown area of computer knowledge for me!) Thanks!

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Run a System File Check....
>
> from the Command Prompt, type
>
> sfc /scannnow
>
> (note space between c and /)
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "tenaj13215" <tenaj13215@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After having to uninstall a problem program, my HP PSC 1350 stopped
> > working.
> > (Running XP home (SP1) on a Gateway) I uninstalled and tried to
> > reinstall,
> > but I now get a message "printer driver is unknown." I've tried to use
> > the
> > disc and the web update for drivers. I have no problem installing it on
> > my
> > husband's identical computer. I also have no problem installing my old HP
> > Deskjet 952C on my computer with both USB and parallel. System restore
> > has
> > not helped. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the USBs. My son even
> > ran
> > the Operating System repair. Can someone PLEASE help?

Now download a new set of software drivers from:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=306888&lang=en&cc=us&os=228
(yes, all 364mb of it)

Install it and do not connect the printer until it tells you to do so.