45-50 Degrees C Normal on MCXC370?

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I finally upgraded my Volcano 5 to a nice Swiftech MCXC-370 with a 60mm Delta fan. Is it normal to get temps around 45C-50C (min/max load)on an AXP 1700+ (oc'd to 1800+)? My case has good ventilation, and a good set of case fans to keep the overall temp down. These temps keep bout the same even if I clock my CPU to its normal clock of 1.4, and go up higher when I tried increasing the voltage (from 1.7 to 1.8) to stabilize at a higher clock speed (unsucessful). Increasing the core voltage I know will increase the wattage, and thus the heat generated. I just want to make sure my temps are nominal, and leave me room to experiment.

Crashing takes on a whole new meaning at 9.8 m/s. :tongue:

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Temperatures are within normal perameters. If you want to stay overclocked or go higher, I would suggets a better fan for the heatsink or a new heatsink and fan combination. You would be a lot better off to at least having you temperatures in the high 30's to low 40's while idle and high 40's under load.

Are you using the Papst fan that came with your Swiftech MCXC370? It is a 60mm x 60mm x 25mm fan. It runs at 24V, 43dBA, and 33CFM at 6850rpm. You could go to a larger fan like an 80mm x 80mm x 25.4mm. Delta Electronics has the <A HREF="http://www.deltaww.com/products/dcfans/pdf/AFB8080254.pdf" target="_new">AFB0812SH-F00</A> model that weighs 35g more but produces 13.62CFM more and is 3dBA quieter. You would have to add a grill to the heatsink and a few extra sheet metal screws (a few more grams) to attach it.

It might be worth it to switch the fan or just buy a new heatsink fan combination. (Especially if you plan on having the CPU running at the higher settings.)

<b>"I put instant coffee in the microwave and almost went back in time" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
did you use thermal paste? i have that same hsf and cpu and my temps are 32 at idle, not over clocked. thats with artic silver 2 but a jump of 60 mhz will not raise the temp that high. my temp is coming from the internal diode, the soyo dragon+ uses it instead of an external. but those temps are still ok.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I got a 60mm Delta fan that runs bout 7500rpm (average). Other than that, I dont know the exact specs on the fan. And as for getting a new heatsink, I just got this one so I could OC my cpu. Im not going to spend another 50+ dollars on a heatsink that will give me just a few degrees less. I might go for another fan, but thats gonna have to wait a bit. As for the extra weight, is it good for the cpu to have that much extra on it? That heatsink is already pretty heavy.

Plus, how accurate is Motherboard Monitor? I have seen differances between it and my bios, but there is a few seconds inbetween windows shutting down and post to bios.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Yep, used artic silver 2, applied it with a credit card to put on a paper thin layer.

My temps are from my internal thermal diode on my Abit KG7.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
either the thermostat isnt right, the room you are in is very warm, or you have done somthing wrong. did you raise the voltage at all?

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Dunno, bout the thermostat on the board, but I have an external one, one of those Compunurse things, but it is not hooked up right now. And my room is COLD. Im in the attic here, and there is no heat that directly goes up here. In fact, I was able to OC to a whole new level last night by closing my door and opening a window. Got to 1.6 ghz at 40C. And I have my voltage at 1.8, though MBM shows it @ 1.82.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
could be your problem. i know you didnt have to raise the voltage for that little of an over clock?

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Ill try lowering it down, and do a burn in in Sandra to test for stability. Is there a chart for recommended voltages for the XP's out there?

:smile: Thanks. Ill let you know what happens.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Well, after a few crashes, I rose the voltage to 1.8. No more crashing. It is now clocked to 1.509ghz, and my average temp under a full load is 46C. The only other reason I can guess for this, Is that after taking the top of my case off tonight, i noticed that there is not much breathing room between the fan on hte CPU and the PS. I guess until I can get a bigger case, I am just going to live with those temps and a low overclock.