Fax crashes computer on last page transmitted

Running Win XP sp2, fax ran great under sp1, but now when trying to fax, as
the last page is completing the machine shuts itself off and restarts.
In start up services, it was set at manual, changed it to automatic and
still get same proboem, recovery is set to "take no action" but it still
reboots my machine. Unistalled and reinstalled and still does it. Queue
state is set to 0 under local machine settings.

Can anyone help?

Any error messages or anything in Event Viewer?
Does it happen with every transmission?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running Win XP sp2, fax ran great under sp1, but now when trying to fax,
> as
> the last page is completing the machine shuts itself off and restarts.
> In start up services, it was set at manual, changed it to automatic and
> still get same proboem, recovery is set to "take no action" but it still
> reboots my machine. Unistalled and reinstalled and still does it. Queue
> state is set to 0 under local machine settings.
>
> Can anyone help?

May I jump in here? I believe I have exactly the same problem. Here are
some details:

1. 100% repeatable. Happens every time for both sending and receiving. Just
as the fax monitor says "call completed" the screen goes dark and the system
reboots. On sending, people at the destination report the fax came in ok.
However, the fax image remains in the "outbox" folder -- does not get
transferred (or renamed) to the "sent" folder, and will be retried after
reboot. More seriously, on receiving, the incoming fax is lost completely,
ie. the fax monitor shows pages being received, then call completed, then the
reboot, then nothing in the "inbox" folder.

2. Most recent occurance (this morning, on receive), left 2 warnings left by
EvntAgnt, category None:
No. 1003 - TraceFileName parameter not located in registry; Default trace
file used is .
No. 1015 -TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level
used is 32.
These warnings are time coincident with the reboot.

3. I also uninstalled/reinstalled fax --- didn't help. I think it started
happening around the time I installed SP2 (not sure).

Not too proud to accept help, Mike

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Any error messages or anything in Event Viewer?
> Does it happen with every transmission?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Running Win XP sp2, fax ran great under sp1, but now when trying to fax,
> > as
> > the last page is completing the machine shuts itself off and restarts.
> > In start up services, it was set at manual, changed it to automatic and
> > still get same proboem, recovery is set to "take no action" but it still
> > reboots my machine. Unistalled and reinstalled and still does it. Queue
> > state is set to 0 under local machine settings.
> >
> > Can anyone help?

Yep same as Mike, every single time! I've even pulled the modem card (even
though I can sign onto the internet with 0 problems) and reinstalled it.

Barb

"mikesil@teamlogic.com" wrote:

> May I jump in here? I believe I have exactly the same problem. Here are
> some details:
>
> 1. 100% repeatable. Happens every time for both sending and receiving. Just
> as the fax monitor says "call completed" the screen goes dark and the system
> reboots. On sending, people at the destination report the fax came in ok.
> However, the fax image remains in the "outbox" folder -- does not get
> transferred (or renamed) to the "sent" folder, and will be retried after
> reboot. More seriously, on receiving, the incoming fax is lost completely,
> ie. the fax monitor shows pages being received, then call completed, then the
> reboot, then nothing in the "inbox" folder.
>
> 2. Most recent occurance (this morning, on receive), left 2 warnings left by
> EvntAgnt, category None:
> No. 1003 - TraceFileName parameter not located in registry; Default trace
> file used is .
> No. 1015 -TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level
> used is 32.
> These warnings are time coincident with the reboot.
>
> 3. I also uninstalled/reinstalled fax --- didn't help. I think it started
> happening around the time I installed SP2 (not sure).
>
> Not too proud to accept help, Mike
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > Any error messages or anything in Event Viewer?
> > Does it happen with every transmission?
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Running Win XP sp2, fax ran great under sp1, but now when trying to fax,
> > > as
> > > the last page is completing the machine shuts itself off and restarts.
> > > In start up services, it was set at manual, changed it to automatic and
> > > still get same proboem, recovery is set to "take no action" but it still
> > > reboots my machine. Unistalled and reinstalled and still does it. Queue
> > > state is set to 0 under local machine settings.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help?

Woops, forgot to look at all the events. in addition to those listed, here's
probably the most important one:

ERROR, event id 7016, posted by Service Control Manager, category None,
The BrSplService service has reported an invalid current state 0.

We'll need exact steps to repro and to enable both PSS and debug logging of
fax transmissions, both of which require fairly extensive registry changes
so that I have some information to send to the developers. Send me valid
email addresses so I can send you instructions.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
wrote in message news:D06296CC-1952-4792-AC0F-7F525BB79625@microsoft.com...
> Woops, forgot to look at all the events. in addition to those listed,
> here's
> probably the most important one:
>
> ERROR, event id 7016, posted by Service Control Manager, category None,
> The BrSplService service has reported an invalid current state 0.

"Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running Win XP sp2, fax ran great under sp1, but now when trying to fax,
> as
> the last page is completing the machine shuts itself off and restarts.
> In start up services, it was set at manual, changed it to automatic and
> still get same proboem, recovery is set to "take no action" but it still
> reboots my machine. Unistalled and reinstalled and still does it. Queue
> state is set to 0 under local machine settings.

This might be the same as I'm getting.

I get a Stop Error immediately after the FAX has been sent.

Perhaps your PC is set to only do a Minidump on a stop error and to
automatically restart.

Mine is not set to automatically restart.

I have no solution yet.

I've already bought and tried a different faxmodem in case it was the old
modem's drivers causing the problem but it wasn't.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
ng@bgdsv.co.uk

> We'll need exact steps to repro and to enable both PSS and debug logging
> of fax transmissions, both of which require fairly extensive registry
> changes so that I have some information to send to the developers. Send me
> valid email addresses so I can send you instructions.

Please can you send instructions to me too.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
ng@bgdsv.co.uk
To email me remove the letter vee.

Done.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

> Done.

This is very strange.
I tried to re-produce what was happening before and I now find FAXes are
sending perfectly every time.

The only thing I can think of is that something else I've upgraded has fixed
it. e.g. I recently upgraded from Fineprint 5.30 to 5.31. and from Norton
GoBack 4.01 to 4.02.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
ng@bgdsv.co.uk
To email me remove the letter vee.

That's why these problems are so tough to solve.
No repros.
--
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Done.
>
> This is very strange.
> I tried to re-produce what was happening before and I now find FAXes are
> sending perfectly every time.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that something else I've upgraded has
> fixed it. e.g. I recently upgraded from Fineprint 5.30 to 5.31. and from
> Norton GoBack 4.01 to 4.02.
>
> --
>
> Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
> ng@bgdsv.co.uk
> To email me remove the letter vee.

Checking my log (after running your ini file) it did not show the entries
that restarted the computer, it would only show the entries I cancelled when
the machine restarted and try to redial the number. Being the person I am,
I messed with a couple more options. I turned off the machine debug manager
and changed zone alarm to allow the fax to act as a server, and guess what,
my fax now works. Today hopefully I'll find another job I can apply for to
fax to see which option corrected my situation.

I also had an update from Norton's GoBack the other day to 4.02....

Thank you very much for your time and effort!

Barbara

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> That's why these problems are so tough to solve.
> No repros.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Brian Gregory [UK]" <ng@bgdsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Done.
> >
> > This is very strange.
> > I tried to re-produce what was happening before and I now find FAXes are
> > sending perfectly every time.
> >
> > The only thing I can think of is that something else I've upgraded has
> > fixed it. e.g. I recently upgraded from Fineprint 5.30 to 5.31. and from
> > Norton GoBack 4.01 to 4.02.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
> > ng@bgdsv.co.uk
> > To email me remove the letter vee.

FWIW, Symantec seems to have a unique knack for disabling Windows XP fax
with a great deal of its software.
--

> FWIW, Symantec seems to have a unique knack for disabling Windows XP fax
> with a great deal of its software.

I'm not really a Norton/Symantec fan - I discovered GoBack when it belonged
to Roxio and tried the new Norton version only because I was so impressed by
the Roxio product.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
ng@bgdsv.co.uk
To email me remove the letter vee.

I've been having exactly the same problem and am also a GoBack user.
Apparently, upgrading from 4.01 to 4.02 fixes the problem. Unfortunately, I
can't find anywhere on the Symantec site or in the Norton SystemWorks 2005 UI
(of which GoBack is a component) or LiveUpdate that lets me update to 4.01.
How did people on this board who did the Norton Goback update get to it? I'd
like to see if this fixes my fax problem (STOP error as fax completes,
BAD_POOL_HEADER, I think).

Thanks,
David

"Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote:

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > FWIW, Symantec seems to have a unique knack for disabling Windows XP fax
> > with a great deal of its software.
>
> I'm not really a Norton/Symantec fan - I discovered GoBack when it belonged
> to Roxio and tried the new Norton version only because I was so impressed by
> the Roxio product.
>
> --
>
> Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
> ng@bgdsv.co.uk
> To email me remove the letter vee.

Are you using GoBack? If so, I suspect, from this thread and from another on
another forum, that GoBack is your problem. If you can update to GoBack 4.02,
it apparently fixes the problem. Though I can't find any way to update GoBack
-- it doesn't show up in LiveUpdate and there's no link on the Symantec site
to an update -- apparently others have.

- David

"Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote:

> "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Running Win XP sp2, fax ran great under sp1, but now when trying to fax,
> > as
> > the last page is completing the machine shuts itself off and restarts.
> > In start up services, it was set at manual, changed it to automatic and
> > still get same proboem, recovery is set to "take no action" but it still
> > reboots my machine. Unistalled and reinstalled and still does it. Queue
> > state is set to 0 under local machine settings.
>
> This might be the same as I'm getting.
>
> I get a Stop Error immediately after the FAX has been sent.
>
> Perhaps your PC is set to only do a Minidump on a stop error and to
> automatically restart.
>
> Mine is not set to automatically restart.
>

> I have no solution yet.
>
> I've already bought and tried a different faxmodem in case it was the old
> modem's drivers causing the problem but it wasn't.
>
> --
>
> Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
> ng@bgdsv.co.uk
> To email me remove the letter vee.

Apparently Norton Go Back has a lot to do with this problem. At the time of
my first post (3 Jan) I had just done a "Live Update" which reported
everything already up to date. Today (14 Jan) I did the same and Go Back was
updated resulting in the reboot problem no longer happening.

Unfortunately, I am not able to tell what version I have now, other than it
is the latest. Go Back is part of the "System Works" suite, and Help|About
give the version number of the suite, even when executed from individual
components.

I have not found any other way to update other than via Live Update.

Mike

Thanks for replying. I have SystemWorks 2005. When I do a LiveUpdate, it
reports that everything is up to date. However, when I open GoBack and click
on the Advanced Disk Drive Restore option, then click Help | About, it tells
me I am running build 4.00.290. If you do the same, what build number do you
get? (Advanced Disk Drive Restore is under Disk Drive Recovery and appears to
be about the same as the old Roxio version of GoBack.)

I'm getting nowhere with Symantec tech support -- just pointers to how to
use LiveUpdate, which doesn't do the update.

Thanks,
David

"mikesil@teamlogic.com" wrote:

> Apparently Norton Go Back has a lot to do with this problem. At the time of
> my first post (3 Jan) I had just done a "Live Update" which reported
> everything already up to date. Today (14 Jan) I did the same and Go Back was
> updated resulting in the reboot problem no longer happening.
>
> Unfortunately, I am not able to tell what version I have now, other than it
> is the latest. Go Back is part of the "System Works" suite, and Help|About
> give the version number of the suite, even when executed from individual
> components.
>
> I have not found any other way to update other than via Live Update.
>
> Mike

I've been in an endless loop with symantec tech support, trying to get them
to recognize what appears to be an installation bug in early versions of
Systemworks 2005 (I bought it as soon as it hit amazon.com to try to repair a
persistent XP problem -- it didn't). It would help me to know if anyone on
this thread who has Systemworks 2005 sees, when they run LiveUpdate, GoBack
listed as one of the programs LiveUpdate expects to update. It's not on the
list with my build, and therefore LiveUpdate doesn't look for updates, but
the people at Symantec tech support seem unable to understand this and keep
asking me to do things which don't fix the problem. A screen shot of a
Systemworks 2005 LiveUpdate that shows GoBack listed among the updateable
programs would help a lot in getting them to fix my problem, which they could
do if they did a clean install of a later build of Systemworks 2005 than I
have on my machine.

Thanks,
David

"DavidOfMA" <DavidOfMA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for replying. I have SystemWorks 2005. When I do a LiveUpdate, it
> reports that everything is up to date. However, when I open GoBack and
> click
> on the Advanced Disk Drive Restore option, then click Help | About, it
> tells
> me I am running build 4.00.290. If you do the same, what build number do
> you
> get? (Advanced Disk Drive Restore is under Disk Drive Recovery and appears
> be about the same as the old Roxio version of GoBack.)

I get "Version 4.02.309"

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
ng@bgdsv.co.uk
To email me remove the letter vee.

Actually it downloaded for me when I did the live update form the main menu
in Norton System Works 5.0.

"DavidOfMA" wrote:

> I've been having exactly the same problem and am also a GoBack user.
> Apparently, upgrading from 4.01 to 4.02 fixes the problem. Unfortunately, I
> can't find anywhere on the Symantec site or in the Norton SystemWorks 2005 UI
> (of which GoBack is a component) or LiveUpdate that lets me update to 4.01.
> How did people on this board who did the Norton Goback update get to it? I'd
> like to see if this fixes my fax problem (STOP error as fax completes,
> BAD_POOL_HEADER, I think).
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> "Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote:
>
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > FWIW, Symantec seems to have a unique knack for disabling Windows XP fax
> > > with a great deal of its software.
> >
> > I'm not really a Norton/Symantec fan - I discovered GoBack when it belonged
> > to Roxio and tried the new Norton version only because I was so impressed by
> > the Roxio product.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
> > ng@bgdsv.co.uk
> > To email me remove the letter vee.

I was able to fix the fax problem by updating GoBack to 4.02. Doing so was a
long, convoluted process aided by Brian Gregory, who was far more helpful
than Symantec in helping me figure out how to get LiveUpdate to work with
GoBack. Why Symantec doesn't have a Knowledgebase article on this conflict is
beyond me. It seems likely they knew there was a problem, since their update
fixed it.

- David