Athlon XP 1700+ overheat

Berman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I just recently bought an Athlon XP 1.7, with an MSI K7T 266 Pro2 mobo. Originally, I was using my old fan and heatsink, but the thing kept overheating, so I went out and got me a new fan/heatsink combo. The guy in the shop said it was one of the most efficient he knew of, and it came with a hefty price tag.
The damn thing still overheats though! It just locks up in the middle of gaming, surfing etc, and I can't do anything except reset. But I go into the BIOS and the temp is about 50 degrees celsius, which I gather is somewhat unhealthy, but not exactly critical either.

Anyone have any ideas, apart from buying a fridge to store my comp in?

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
you gonna give us more detail about your system.how many case fan u have? what type of heatsink+fan you are using?
what type of thermal compound did you use...etc. give us everything you can think of about your system. then we try 2 pinpoint your problem

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
50 degrees should not be a problem and I really don't think heat is the problem. I'm curious though, what heatsink are you using?

As for your problem, try loading the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers. If they are already loaded then try a clean install. To do this run the installer but for each driver select the uninstall option. Don't reboot when you are prompted but rather, run the installer a second time. This time allow the components to load. Don't forget to select "Turbo Mode" for the AGP driver.

I think the above will do the trick. It has on my three systems, all with different Via chipsets.

Click below for Via 4-in-1 driver for your board.

<A HREF="http://www.msi.com.tw/support/driver/mb_driver.htm" target="_new">http://www.msi.com.tw/support/driver/mb_driver.htm</A>

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

svol

Champion
Maybe your heatsink/fan is good but is the airflow inside your case poor. It is best to have atleast one casefan blowing out on the upper rear, and if you want another place it in the bottom front blowing in.
Instability may also be caused by drivers or a to weak powersupply, you will need atleast a 300W powersupply.

It's not a bug, it's a feature :wink:
THGC: before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: