Printing PDF docs is extremely slow

XP workstations with SP2 on a Win2k Server network (Gigabit).

Printing PDF docs takes extremely long time and printers spit out one page
every few seconds as opposed to one after another.

Tested a 20 page basic Word doc--no problem.

Filesize of a sample pdf is 276K (11 pages). When I open the print queue,
it shows the size as 3.25MB. We use PDFs alot (we're paperless) and some of
the files are 2+MB. I've seen the filesize in the print queue reported as
high as 500+MB. Why would that be?

Printers are HP 4200 and Sharp AR-507.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
7 answers Last reply
More about printing docs extremely slow

    We had the same problem. It has to do with with driver version you are
    using.
    We have an HP LaserJet 8000N and there are 3 different drivers for it.
    PCL5, PCL5e, and PCL6
    One will print PDF files fine but then causes other problems. I suggest you
    try each of them and then decide for yourself which one fits your needs the
    best.

    HTH

    --
    Parley D. Kennelly
    Southern California Realtor®
    "Just some guy" <Justsomeguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP workstations with SP2 on a Win2k Server network (Gigabit).
    >
    > Printing PDF docs takes extremely long time and printers spit out one page
    > every few seconds as opposed to one after another.
    >
    > Tested a 20 page basic Word doc--no problem.
    >
    > Filesize of a sample pdf is 276K (11 pages). When I open the print queue,
    > it shows the size as 3.25MB. We use PDFs alot (we're paperless) and some
    > of
    > the files are 2+MB. I've seen the filesize in the print queue reported as
    > high as 500+MB. Why would that be?
    >
    > Printers are HP 4200 and Sharp AR-507.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Hello,

    Best Wishes from PARIS France.

    I know that it'll not help you, but I have exactly the same trouble.

    Géo

    "Just some guy" <Justsomeguy@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
    message de news: C9BEBC2D-67C4-437F-8CAF-D16D51B73F62@microsoft.com...
    > XP workstations with SP2 on a Win2k Server network (Gigabit).
    >
    > Printing PDF docs takes extremely long time and printers spit out one page
    > every few seconds as opposed to one after another.
    >
    > Tested a 20 page basic Word doc--no problem.
    >
    > Filesize of a sample pdf is 276K (11 pages). When I open the print queue,
    > it shows the size as 3.25MB. We use PDFs alot (we're paperless) and some
    > of
    > the files are 2+MB. I've seen the filesize in the print queue reported as
    > high as 500+MB. Why would that be?
    >
    > Printers are HP 4200 and Sharp AR-507.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thank you.

    I have the same trouble with different printer and different driver

    HP 4, HP 4M, DELL 1700, Deskjet 970Cxi, Lexmark etc... and even if I try to
    fax the file.

    Géo

    "Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    O9ewFPD9EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > We had the same problem. It has to do with with driver version you are
    > using.
    > We have an HP LaserJet 8000N and there are 3 different drivers for it.
    > PCL5, PCL5e, and PCL6
    > One will print PDF files fine but then causes other problems. I suggest
    > you try each of them and then decide for yourself which one fits your
    > needs the best.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > Parley D. Kennelly
    > Southern California Realtor®
    > http://www.joverenterprises.com
    > "Just some guy" <Justsomeguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> XP workstations with SP2 on a Win2k Server network (Gigabit).
    >>
    >> Printing PDF docs takes extremely long time and printers spit out one
    >> page
    >> every few seconds as opposed to one after another.
    >>
    >> Tested a 20 page basic Word doc--no problem.
    >>
    >> Filesize of a sample pdf is 276K (11 pages). When I open the print
    >> queue,
    >> it shows the size as 3.25MB. We use PDFs alot (we're paperless) and some
    >> of
    >> the files are 2+MB. I've seen the filesize in the print queue reported
    >> as
    >> high as 500+MB. Why would that be?
    >>
    >> Printers are HP 4200 and Sharp AR-507.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    Hi, did you find an answer? I have exactly the same problem, so I'd
    really like to know if anyone has solved it. Thanks.

    --
    philpgturner
    philpgturner's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2259

    Have you tried printing directly from Adobe"s Reader without going thru
    the Printing and Fax app?
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "philpgturner" wrote:

    > Hi, did you find an answer? I have exactly the same problem, so I'd
    > really like to know if anyone has solved it. Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > philpgturner
    > philpgturner's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2259

    Hi,

    in Adobe you can choose between normal printing and print as image. Print as
    image is extremely slow. Since it is possible to set permissions in PDF
    Files it could be that the vector printing is not allowed with your PDF
    Documents. Then you might check the Aloaha PDF Suite. It includes a PDF
    Editor which prints quite fast. Additional it has even a drop folder where
    you could just drop your PDF Documents and Aloaha takes care of the
    printing.

    Good Luck!

    "philpgturner" <philpgturner.1qnt4j@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > Hi, did you find an answer? I have exactly the same problem, so I'd
    > really like to know if anyone has solved it. Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > philpgturner
    > philpgturner's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2259

  7. I had the same problem:

    Here's the fix: Open a pdf document go to File > Print> Advanced> check the box Print as image, use 300 DPI...that should do it.

PDF Windows XP