MB suggestion for OC a P4-1.6a

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
I am getting a P4-1.6a in the next few days... need suggestion for a good OC motherboard. (OC to 2166/533) I want to keep the cost down, (hence OC..) so i WON'T get a RDRAM motherboard. (RDRAM is dying anyway) The store owner suggest me to get an Asus P4S333 or P4S333-M (micro-ATX, onboard LAN and Audio). Are they any good? (they are pretty cheap) I don't mind it is a micro-ATX motherboard (P4S333-M) as long as it has an AGP. (i only have an Audigy, NIC and GF3 to put in, if the motherboard has LAN i don't even put my NIC in) Last, i will be getting 2 256mb 266-DDR RAM. I don't have to OC the RAM right?? (again it is cheaper and too hard to find 333-DDR now, may be upgrade them in future)

My mission objective is to spend the least $$$ to get the most performance upgrade. (guess most of the people want) I don't need the extreme performance but stability is a must.

Many thanks in advance for any input on this.

Avus

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I guess, you must have a RDRAM, it doesnt cost more these days, and we are getting PC1066 memory soon, although good quality memory does 133 MHz pretty easily (like Samsung ones)!

For that the Abit TH7-II is the best one, P4T-E the other but will cost a bit more.

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Well, in reality here, if you overclock the processor, you have to change the settings for the RAM as well :( The muliplier is locked on the P4, so you have to increase the FSB, which also increases the speed of the RAM, the PCI bus, AND the AGP bus, which can throw off a lot of settings. You will never be able to get DDR 1 up to 533Mhz, trust me, it's been tried before. You're gonna have to go RAMBUS here. Not all that much more expensive than DDR, bout 160 for 256MB, or 400 for 512MB. Get PC-800, not the cheapo PC-600 or PC-700, that stuff is utter junk. Get the RAM from a good supplier like Kingston, Crucial, or Samsung. I don't think you can get to 533...maybe...if you are looking for budget upgrade, then yo umight as well get an AXP 2100+ and DDR-333, it will blow away any P4 system at the same cost.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

FatBurger

Illustrious
bout 160 for 256MB, or 400 for 512MB

Where have you been looking? I got Samsung sticks for $75 each (256MB sticks). I'd recommend double-sided, on an Abit TH7II(-RAID). It's not the cheapest combination, but it is the best.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft