Unable to install fax component

January 5, 2005 12:13:01 AM

I can't install the fax component using the steps outlined on microsoft.com.
I go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows
Components, then check the Fax Services checkbox and press OK. An
installation dialog ensues and ends with a dialog "You have successfully
completed the Windows Components Wizard". I click Finish, and when I check
the Printers and Faxes window no fax appears. Using the "Set up faxing"
choice there runs a setup routine, and sometimes a Fax item appears and
sometimes it doesn't, but refreshing the display (View -> Refresh) always
results in no fax appearing. Going to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories
-> Communications -> Fax, the Fax folder is there but it is empty (no fax
console). No error messages appear during this entire process. I do have a
fax modem installed and have used it in the past (prior to installation of
SP2) without difficulty. Any clues as to how to troubleshoot this problem?
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 8:42:02 AM

Look at your faxsetup.log
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't install the fax component using the steps outlined on
>microsoft.com.
> I go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows
> Components, then check the Fax Services checkbox and press OK. An
> installation dialog ensues and ends with a dialog "You have successfully
> completed the Windows Components Wizard". I click Finish, and when I
> check
> the Printers and Faxes window no fax appears. Using the "Set up faxing"
> choice there runs a setup routine, and sometimes a Fax item appears and
> sometimes it doesn't, but refreshing the display (View -> Refresh) always
> results in no fax appearing. Going to Start -> All Programs ->
> Accessories
> -> Communications -> Fax, the Fax folder is there but it is empty (no fax
> console). No error messages appear during this entire process. I do have
> fax modem installed and have used it in the past (prior to installation of
> SP2) without difficulty. Any clues as to how to troubleshoot this
> problem?
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 4:29:21 PM

Hey Russ Valentine,

What should we see in the setup log? and

How is the install problem resolved?

Thank you in advance

--
greggarriaga
January 5, 2005 10:28:00 PM

You should see where the process failed.
That would determine how the problem is resolved.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"greggarriaga" <greggarriaga.1ieuy8@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

> Hey Russ Valentine,
>
> What should we see in the setup log? and
>
> How is the install problem resolved?
>
> Thank you in advance
>

> --
> greggarriaga

January 5, 2005 11:57:02 PM

Here is the first error line in the log:
"Failed to install the services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc =
0x4b8"

I'm unable to find any reference to the code above to determine what the
entry is trying to say. I'm guessing that this is some kind of registry
problem, but as you can see the error message is less than specific about the
nature and location of the problem.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> You should see where the process failed.
> That would determine how the problem is resolved.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "greggarriaga" <greggarriaga.1ieuy8@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message
> >
> > Hey Russ Valentine,
> >
> > What should we see in the setup log? and
> >
> > How is the install problem resolved?
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> >

> > --
> > greggarriaga

January 6, 2005 6:20:58 PM

Send me the log.
--
> Here is the first error line in the log:
> "Failed to install the services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc
> =
> 0x4b8"
>
> I'm unable to find any reference to the code above to determine what the
> entry is trying to say. I'm guessing that this is some kind of registry
> problem, but as you can see the error message is less than specific about
> the
> nature and location of the problem.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> You should see where the process failed.
>> That would determine how the problem is resolved.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "greggarriaga" <greggarriaga.1ieuy8@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Hey Russ Valentine,
>> >
>> > What should we see in the setup log? and
>> >
>> > How is the install problem resolved?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance
>> >

>> > --
>> > greggarriaga

January 6, 2005 6:20:59 PM

Via email, or posted here? It's rather large. If by email, could you give
me an address to send it to?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Send me the log.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Here is the first error line in the log:
> > "Failed to install the services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc
> > =
> > 0x4b8"
> >
> > I'm unable to find any reference to the code above to determine what the
> > entry is trying to say. I'm guessing that this is some kind of registry
> > problem, but as you can see the error message is less than specific about
> > the
> > nature and location of the problem.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> You should see where the process failed.
> >> That would determine how the problem is resolved.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "greggarriaga" <greggarriaga.1ieuy8@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

January 6, 2005 7:58:35 PM

Don't post it. Send it. My address is valid.
--
> Via email, or posted here? It's rather large. If by email, could you
> give
> me an address to send it to?
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Send me the log.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Here is the first error line in the log:
>> > "Failed to install the services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall',
>> > rc
>> > =
>> > 0x4b8"
>> >
>> > I'm unable to find any reference to the code above to determine what
>> > the
>> > entry is trying to say. I'm guessing that this is some kind of
>> > registry
>> > problem, but as you can see the error message is less than specific
>> > about
>> > the
>> > nature and location of the problem.

January 6, 2005 9:59:01 PM

I've emailed the entire log to you; it has one installation attempt to keep
it as simple as possible.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Don't post it. Send it. My address is valid.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Via email, or posted here? It's rather large. If by email, could you
> > give
> > me an address to send it to?
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Send me the log.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

January 8, 2005 12:47:56 PM

Also need all your modem information, whether it is on the Windows XP HCL
list and any error messages/Event Viewer information that you get.

--
> I've emailed the entire log to you; it has one installation attempt to
> keep
> it as simple as possible.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Don't post it. Send it. My address is valid.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Via email, or posted here? It's rather large. If by email, could you
>> > give
>> > me an address to send it to?

January 11, 2005 4:11:02 PM

The modem is on the HCL. It's a Lucent Win Modem manufactured by Agere
Systems. I've downloaded the current driver and have also used older drivers
but niether make a difference in this case. I'm not at my system right now
but I'll check the event viewer and provide any information I see in a later
post.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Also need all your modem information, whether it is on the Windows XP HCL
> list and any error messages/Event Viewer information that you get.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've emailed the entire log to you; it has one installation attempt to
> > keep
> > it as simple as possible.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Don't post it. Send it. My address is valid.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

January 12, 2005 10:55:02 PM

Here are additional details about the modem:
Agere model 1456VQH-T4 (INT1)
Driver version 8.31.0.0
I have copied the event viewer logs to files, and I'll email these to you.
There were no errors; the highest event level is a warning indicating when
the fax is being installed and then deleted that all occurred during the
component installation routine.

"Mike P" wrote:

> The modem is on the HCL. It's a Lucent Win Modem manufactured by Agere
> Systems. I've downloaded the current driver and have also used older drivers
> but niether make a difference in this case. I'm not at my system right now
> but I'll check the event viewer and provide any information I see in a later
> post.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > Also need all your modem information, whether it is on the Windows XP HCL
> > list and any error messages/Event Viewer information that you get.
> >
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I've emailed the entire log to you; it has one installation attempt to
> > > keep
> > > it as simple as possible.

March 7, 2005 9:35:02 PM

Mike, Russ,
has this problem been solved? I have the same trouble with my Agere modem on
IBM ThinkPad and WinXP Pro. The "set up faxing" wizard seem to finish
successfully, but fax is not added to the list of printers. I can send my log
file if needed. Please help.
Thanks in advance,
Valery.

"Mike P" wrote:

> Here are additional details about the modem:
> Agere model 1456VQH-T4 (INT1)
> Driver version 8.31.0.0
> I have copied the event viewer logs to files, and I'll email these to you.
> There were no errors; the highest event level is a warning indicating when
> the fax is being installed and then deleted that all occurred during the
> component installation routine.
>

> "Mike P" wrote:
>
> > The modem is on the HCL. It's a Lucent Win Modem manufactured by Agere
> > Systems. I've downloaded the current driver and have also used older drivers
> > but niether make a difference in this case. I'm not at my system right now
> > but I'll check the event viewer and provide any information I see in a later
> > post.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> > > Also need all your modem information, whether it is on the Windows XP HCL
> > > list and any error messages/Event Viewer information that you get.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > > "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

March 8, 2005 9:39:03 AM

Valery,

It has not been solved yet. It's been referred to the Microsoft developers
(several weeks ago) but no resolution yet.

Mike

"Valery M" wrote:

> Mike, Russ,
> has this problem been solved? I have the same trouble with my Agere modem on
> IBM ThinkPad and WinXP Pro. The "set up faxing" wizard seem to finish
> successfully, but fax is not added to the list of printers. I can send my log
> file if needed. Please help.
> Thanks in advance,
> Valery.
>

> "Mike P" wrote:
>
> > Here are additional details about the modem:
> > Agere model 1456VQH-T4 (INT1)
> > Driver version 8.31.0.0
> > I have copied the event viewer logs to files, and I'll email these to you.
> > There were no errors; the highest event level is a warning indicating when
> > the fax is being installed and then deleted that all occurred during the
> > component installation routine.
> >

> > "Mike P" wrote:
> >
> > > The modem is on the HCL. It's a Lucent Win Modem manufactured by Agere
> > > Systems. I've downloaded the current driver and have also used older drivers
> > > but niether make a difference in this case. I'm not at my system right now
> > > but I'll check the event viewer and provide any information I see in a later
> > > post.

March 8, 2005 8:25:36 PM

I've sent the information to the developers that you both of you provided.
I'm still waiting to hear as well. I know they just moved their offices.
Maybe I should try to fax them... nah, it'd never work.
--
> Valery,
>
> It has not been solved yet. It's been referred to the Microsoft
> developers
> (several weeks ago) but no resolution yet.
>
> Mike
>
> "Valery M" wrote:
>
>> Mike, Russ,
>> has this problem been solved? I have the same trouble with my Agere modem
>> on
>> IBM ThinkPad and WinXP Pro. The "set up faxing" wizard seem to finish
>> successfully, but fax is not added to the list of printers. I can send my
>> log
>> file if needed. Please help.
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Valery.
>>

>> "Mike P" wrote:
>>
>> > Here are additional details about the modem:
>> > Agere model 1456VQH-T4 (INT1)
>> > Driver version 8.31.0.0
>> > I have copied the event viewer logs to files, and I'll email these to
>> > you.
>> > There were no errors; the highest event level is a warning indicating
>> > when
>> > the fax is being installed and then deleted that all occurred during
>> > the
>> > component installation routine.

March 8, 2005 11:27:01 PM

I tried tonight to install the fax component, and ran into a refusal to
install completely due to being unable to find a file. The one I am hanging
up on is cinfo.dll. I've searched everywhere for it. I figured I must have
deleted some of the installation files from the sp2 upgrade, so I just
re-downloaded the entire file, and did a re-install. Still getting the same
message, even though I have touched nothing since the sp2 installation a few
minutes ago. Looks like this ahas been a problem for folks for some time now.
Hope Microsoft will address it soon! I'll stay tuned!

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> I've sent the information to the developers that you both of you provided.
> I'm still waiting to hear as well. I know they just moved their offices.
> Maybe I should try to fax them... nah, it'd never work.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Valery,
> >
> > It has not been solved yet. It's been referred to the Microsoft
> > developers
> > (several weeks ago) but no resolution yet.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Valery M" wrote:
> >
> >> Mike, Russ,
> >> has this problem been solved? I have the same trouble with my Agere modem
> >> on
> >> IBM ThinkPad and WinXP Pro. The "set up faxing" wizard seem to finish
> >> successfully, but fax is not added to the list of printers. I can send my
> >> log
> >> file if needed. Please help.
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Valery.

March 9, 2005 8:14:14 AM

If you have applied any Service Packs, these files may have been moved to a
different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
routine to that folder.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"rich904" <rich904@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried tonight to install the fax component, and ran into a refusal to
> install completely due to being unable to find a file. The one I am
> hanging
> up on is cinfo.dll. I've searched everywhere for it. I figured I must have
> deleted some of the installation files from the sp2 upgrade, so I just
> re-downloaded the entire file, and did a re-install. Still getting the
> same
> message, even though I have touched nothing since the sp2 installation a
> few
> minutes ago. Looks like this ahas been a problem for folks for some time
> now.
> Hope Microsoft will address it soon! I'll stay tuned!
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> I've sent the information to the developers that you both of you
>> provided.
>> I'm still waiting to hear as well. I know they just moved their offices.
>> Maybe I should try to fax them... nah, it'd never work.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Valery,
>> >
>> > It has not been solved yet. It's been referred to the Microsoft
>> > developers
>> > (several weeks ago) but no resolution yet.
>> >
>> > Mike

March 20, 2005 6:11:05 AM

I also can not install the component, "fax services" and have been
communicating with Microsoft about this problem. I have two laptops with XP
Professional and neither computer will install the services. Microsoft
refuses to recognize the problem. I was told by Microsoft that it is an OEM
software and it is their problem.
Microsoft should post a fix in the auto windows update so all can use the
services they paid for. I guess maybe we should move to a different
operating system so we may conduct our daily business.

"Mike P" wrote:

> I can't install the fax component using the steps outlined on microsoft.com.
> I go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows
> Components, then check the Fax Services checkbox and press OK. An
> installation dialog ensues and ends with a dialog "You have successfully
> completed the Windows Components Wizard". I click Finish, and when I check
> the Printers and Faxes window no fax appears. Using the "Set up faxing"
> choice there runs a setup routine, and sometimes a Fax item appears and
> sometimes it doesn't, but refreshing the display (View -> Refresh) always
> results in no fax appearing. Going to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories
> -> Communications -> Fax, the Fax folder is there but it is empty (no fax
> console). No error messages appear during this entire process. I do have a
> fax modem installed and have used it in the past (prior to installation of
> SP2) without difficulty. Any clues as to how to troubleshoot this problem?
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 9:25:41 AM

Post your details.
Microsoft can't fix this problem until they can reproduce it, and so far
no reproducible steps have been posted.
------
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

DOM wrote:
> I also can not install the component, "fax services" and have been
> communicating with Microsoft about this problem. I have two laptops with XP
> Professional and neither computer will install the services. Microsoft
> refuses to recognize the problem. I was told by Microsoft that it is an OEM
> software and it is their problem.
> Microsoft should post a fix in the auto windows update so all can use the
> services they paid for. I guess maybe we should move to a different
> operating system so we may conduct our daily business.
>
> "Mike P" wrote:
>

>>I can't install the fax component using the steps outlined on microsoft.com.
>>I go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows
>>Components, then check the Fax Services checkbox and press OK. An
>>installation dialog ensues and ends with a dialog "You have successfully
>>completed the Windows Components Wizard". I click Finish, and when I check
>>the Printers and Faxes window no fax appears. Using the "Set up faxing"
>>choice there runs a setup routine, and sometimes a Fax item appears and
>>sometimes it doesn't, but refreshing the display (View -> Refresh) always
>>results in no fax appearing. Going to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories
>>-> Communications -> Fax, the Fax folder is there but it is empty (no fax
>>console). No error messages appear during this entire process. I do have a
>>fax modem installed and have used it in the past (prior to installation of
>>SP2) without difficulty. Any clues as to how to troubleshoot this problem?
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:25:53 AM

Had exactly the same problem, and I mean exactly, sometimes I had a "ghost"
fax, it appeared for about a second, then disappears. I fixed it by reading
this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018/EN-US/

"This problem occurs because the security database is corrupted.". You can
fix by
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlVie...'t+install+windows+components&OS=&CN=10&BV_SessionID=@@@@0605524489.1111529783@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddeehkgjehcgfkceghdgngdgmm.0&ProductMenu_1=(All+Models)&ProductMenu_2=-------------------------------&ST=1&SortOrder=LT_WEIGHT&awhit=2

Although the microsoft artcle doesn't recommend it so it's obviously not a
great fix, it worked for me though. I do realise the article doesn't
descibe exactly the problem you have/I had but for some reason it works.
You might even find my post above somewhere, others have also had a ghost
fax.

"DOM" <DOM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I also can not install the component, "fax services" and have been
> communicating with Microsoft about this problem. I have two laptops with
> XP
> Professional and neither computer will install the services. Microsoft
> refuses to recognize the problem. I was told by Microsoft that it is an
> OEM
> software and it is their problem.
> Microsoft should post a fix in the auto windows update so all can use the
> services they paid for. I guess maybe we should move to a different
> operating system so we may conduct our daily business.
>
> "Mike P" wrote:
>
>> I can't install the fax component using the steps outlined on
>> microsoft.com.
>> I go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows
>> Components, then check the Fax Services checkbox and press OK. An
>> installation dialog ensues and ends with a dialog "You have successfully
>> completed the Windows Components Wizard". I click Finish, and when I
>> check
>> the Printers and Faxes window no fax appears. Using the "Set up faxing"
>> choice there runs a setup routine, and sometimes a Fax item appears and
>> sometimes it doesn't, but refreshing the display (View -> Refresh) always
>> results in no fax appearing. Going to Start -> All Programs ->
>> Accessories
>> -> Communications -> Fax, the Fax folder is there but it is empty (no fax
>> console). No error messages appear during this entire process. I do
>> have a
>> fax modem installed and have used it in the past (prior to installation
>> of
>> SP2) without difficulty. Any clues as to how to troubleshoot this
>> problem?
April 28, 2005 12:10:06 PM

Russ,
I believe I am having the same problem with my new IBM Thinkpad T43. I have
tried to install the fax service two ways: 1) From Printers and Faxes,
clicking on "set up faxing" in the printer tasks menu on left of window; 2)
From add remove windows components, by checking the box next to fax service.
Both resulted in the same error about not being able to copy files. Clicking
browse reveals the file, but apparently it cannot be copied. I searched for
alternate I386 folders, but none contained the necessary files.

If you need any additional info (e.g. logs) I am happy to help. I would very
much like to use the fax service.

Please note installations were attempted when all virus, spyware and
firewall programs were disabled.

Thanks,
Mike

"Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:

> Post your details.
> Microsoft can't fix this problem until they can reproduce it, and so far
> no reproducible steps have been posted.
> ------
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> DOM wrote:
> > I also can not install the component, "fax services" and have been
> > communicating with Microsoft about this problem. I have two laptops with XP
> > Professional and neither computer will install the services. Microsoft
> > refuses to recognize the problem. I was told by Microsoft that it is an OEM
> > software and it is their problem.
> > Microsoft should post a fix in the auto windows update so all can use the
> > services they paid for. I guess maybe we should move to a different
> > operating system so we may conduct our daily business.
> >
> > "Mike P" wrote:
> >

> >>I can't install the fax component using the steps outlined on microsoft.com.
> >>I go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows
> >>Components, then check the Fax Services checkbox and press OK. An
> >>installation dialog ensues and ends with a dialog "You have successfully
> >>completed the Windows Components Wizard". I click Finish, and when I check
> >>the Printers and Faxes window no fax appears. Using the "Set up faxing"
> >>choice there runs a setup routine, and sometimes a Fax item appears and
> >>sometimes it doesn't, but refreshing the display (View -> Refresh) always
> >>results in no fax appearing. Going to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories
> >>-> Communications -> Fax, the Fax folder is there but it is empty (no fax
> >>console). No error messages appear during this entire process. I do have a
> >>fax modem installed and have used it in the past (prior to installation of
> >>SP2) without difficulty. Any clues as to how to troubleshoot this problem?

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:34:56 PM

Is this after installing SP2? If so, send me a valid email address so I can
send you some things to try.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> Russ,
> I believe I am having the same problem with my new IBM Thinkpad T43. I
> have
> tried to install the fax service two ways: 1) From Printers and Faxes,
> clicking on "set up faxing" in the printer tasks menu on left of window;
> 2)
> From add remove windows components, by checking the box next to fax
> service.
> Both resulted in the same error about not being able to copy files.
> Clicking
> browse reveals the file, but apparently it cannot be copied. I searched
> for
> alternate I386 folders, but none contained the necessary files.
>
> If you need any additional info (e.g. logs) I am happy to help. I would
> very
> much like to use the fax service.
>
> Please note installations were attempted when all virus, spyware and
> firewall programs were disabled.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Post your details.
>> Microsoft can't fix this problem until they can reproduce it, and so far
>> no reproducible steps have been posted.
>> ------
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>
>> DOM wrote:
>> > I also can not install the component, "fax services" and have been
>> > communicating with Microsoft about this problem. I have two laptops
>> > with XP
>> > Professional and neither computer will install the services. Microsoft
>> > refuses to recognize the problem. I was told by Microsoft that it is
>> > an OEM
>> > software and it is their problem.
>> > Microsoft should post a fix in the auto windows update so all can use
>> > the
>> > services they paid for. I guess maybe we should move to a different
>> > operating system so we may conduct our daily business.

April 28, 2005 5:34:57 PM

Thanks in advance. I sent an e-mail to russval@gmail.com.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Is this after installing SP2? If so, send me a valid email address so I can
> send you some things to try.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Russ,
> > I believe I am having the same problem with my new IBM Thinkpad T43. I
> > have
> > tried to install the fax service two ways: 1) From Printers and Faxes,
> > clicking on "set up faxing" in the printer tasks menu on left of window;
> > 2)
> > From add remove windows components, by checking the box next to fax
> > service.
> > Both resulted in the same error about not being able to copy files.
> > Clicking
> > browse reveals the file, but apparently it cannot be copied. I searched
> > for
> > alternate I386 folders, but none contained the necessary files.
> >
> > If you need any additional info (e.g. logs) I am happy to help. I would
> > very
> > much like to use the fax service.
> >
> > Please note installations were attempted when all virus, spyware and
> > firewall programs were disabled.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Post your details.
> >> Microsoft can't fix this problem until they can reproduce it, and so far
> >> no reproducible steps have been posted.
> >> ------
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:47:02 PM

I have the same problem with the missing cinfo.xml file. I have searched
every folder. Has Microsoft resolved this? I would like to be able to use
the Windows fax service, but I am unable to install it.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> If you have applied any Service Packs, these files may have been moved to a
> different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
> routine to that folder.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> "rich904" <rich904@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried tonight to install the fax component, and ran into a refusal to
> > install completely due to being unable to find a file. The one I am
> > hanging
> > up on is cinfo.dll. I've searched everywhere for it. I figured I must have
> > deleted some of the installation files from the sp2 upgrade, so I just
> > re-downloaded the entire file, and did a re-install. Still getting the
> > same
> > message, even though I have touched nothing since the sp2 installation a
> > few
> > minutes ago. Looks like this ahas been a problem for folks for some time
> > now.
> > Hope Microsoft will address it soon! I'll stay tuned!
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> I've sent the information to the developers that you both of you
> >> provided.
> >> I'm still waiting to hear as well. I know they just moved their offices.
> >> Maybe I should try to fax them... nah, it'd never work.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:14:52 PM

Clarify the problem to which you are referring.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dssmith99" <dssmith99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem with the missing cinfo.xml file. I have searched
> every folder. Has Microsoft resolved this? I would like to be able to
> use
> the Windows fax service, but I am unable to install it.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> If you have applied any Service Packs, these files may have been moved to
>> different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
>> routine to that folder.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>
>> "rich904" <rich904@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I tried tonight to install the fax component, and ran into a refusal to
>> > install completely due to being unable to find a file. The one I am
>> > hanging
>> > up on is cinfo.dll. I've searched everywhere for it. I figured I must
>> > have
>> > deleted some of the installation files from the sp2 upgrade, so I just
>> > re-downloaded the entire file, and did a re-install. Still getting the
>> > same
>> > message, even though I have touched nothing since the sp2 installation
>> > few
>> > minutes ago. Looks like this ahas been a problem for folks for some
>> > time
>> > now.
>> > Hope Microsoft will address it soon! I'll stay tuned!

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:24:03 AM

I have the same problem as RICH904 in this thread. I tried to install fax
services through the Control Panel, Add Windows components, and get the
message the install cannot continue because it cannot find "cinfo.xml" and I
should insert the SP2 CD. I don't have the CD - installed through a
download, and from other postings I have found in other places, the SP2 CD
does not solve this problem. (I am waiting (4-6 weeks) for the CD to see if
it could help.) I directed the install to all the i386 folders, but no
success.

Thanks for any help.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Clarify the problem to which you are referring.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "dssmith99" <dssmith99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem with the missing cinfo.xml file. I have searched
> > every folder. Has Microsoft resolved this? I would like to be able to
> > use
> > the Windows fax service, but I am unable to install it.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> If you have applied any Service Packs, these files may have been moved to
> >> different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
> >> routine to that folder.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >>
> >> "rich904" <rich904@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 11:30:01 AM

I don't see that one in this thread. Must be older than 2 months.
It's not the problem we were working with in the latter part of the thread.
Unfortunately, most of these problems are with the Windows Installer over
which the fax developers have no control.
--
>I have the same problem as RICH904 in this thread. I tried to install fax
> services through the Control Panel, Add Windows components, and get the
> message the install cannot continue because it cannot find "cinfo.xml" and
> should insert the SP2 CD. I don't have the CD - installed through a
> download, and from other postings I have found in other places, the SP2 CD
> does not solve this problem. (I am waiting (4-6 weeks) for the CD to see
> if
> it could help.) I directed the install to all the i386 folders, but no
> success.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Clarify the problem to which you are referring.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "dssmith99" <dssmith99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have the same problem with the missing cinfo.xml file. I have
>> >searched
>> > every folder. Has Microsoft resolved this? I would like to be able
>> > use
>> > the Windows fax service, but I am unable to install it.

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 11:30:02 AM

Yes, it is older than 2 months, and the postings just ended. It doesn't look
like it was ever resolved - maybe everyone gave up, or the fax developers
sent a private reply.

Here's the history.

> [...]

> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "dssmith99" <dssmith99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem as RICH904 in this thread. I tried to install fax
> > services through the Control Panel, Add Windows components, and get the
> > message the install cannot continue because it cannot find "cinfo.xml" and
> > should insert the SP2 CD. I don't have the CD - installed through a
> > download, and from other postings I have found in other places, the SP2 CD
> > does not solve this problem. (I am waiting (4-6 weeks) for the CD to see
> > if
> > it could help.) I directed the install to all the i386 folders, but no
> > success.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Clarify the problem to which you are referring.

June 26, 2005 1:46:31 PM

Not for this one.
The fax developers have an unsupported workaround for the issue where the
Fax printer is not accessible after installing Fax after SP2 (where the
installation occurs without error messages).
The place to investigate this is in one of the desktop installation groups
as this is a Windows Installer issue. The Fax developers will not be able to
solve it.
--
> Yes, it is older than 2 months, and the postings just ended. It doesn't
> look
> like it was ever resolved - maybe everyone gave up, or the fax developers
> sent a private reply.
>
> Here's the history.
>
> I tried tonight to install the fax component, and ran into a refusal to
> install completely due to being unable to find a file. The one I am
> hanging
> up on is cinfo.dll. I've searched everywhere for it. I figured I must have
> deleted some of the installation files from the sp2 upgrade, so I just
> re-downloaded the entire file, and did a re-install. Still getting the
> same
> message, even though I have touched nothing since the sp2 installation a
> few
> minutes ago. Looks like this ahas been a problem for folks for some time
> now.
> Hope Microsoft will address it soon! I'll stay tuned!
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> I've sent the information to the developers that you both of you
>> provided.
>> I'm still waiting to hear as well. I know they just moved their offices.
>> Maybe I should try to fax them... nah, it'd never work.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Mike P" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Valery,
>> >
>> > It has not been solved yet. It's been referred to the Microsoft
>> > developers
>> > (several weeks ago) but no resolution yet.
>> >
>> > Mike

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> I don't see that one in this thread. Must be older than 2 months.
>> It's not the problem we were working with in the latter part of the
>> thread.
>> Unfortunately, most of these problems are with the Windows Installer over
>> which the fax developers have no control.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "dssmith99" <dssmith99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have the same problem as RICH904 in this thread. I tried to install
>> >fax
>> > services through the Control Panel, Add Windows components, and get the
>> > message the install cannot continue because it cannot find "cinfo.xml"
>> > and
>> > should insert the SP2 CD. I don't have the CD - installed through a
>> > download, and from other postings I have found in other places, the SP2
>> > CD
>> > does not solve this problem. (I am waiting (4-6 weeks) for the CD to
>> > see
>> > if
>> > it could help.) I directed the install to all the i386 folders, but no
>> > success.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:40:18 PM

Has there been a solution found to this issue, yet?

The reason is that I have just been trying to install Fax Services on
my (brand new) Compaq nx9105 notebook. The install process commences
and then, almost immediately, stops with a message that it cannot find
a particular file. If I select the browse button, the install program
instantly finds the file. Selecting the retry option then complains
about not finding the next file, ...... and so on, and so on,..... ad
infinitum. :mad:  :mad:

This is clearly still a problem with the Windows Installer included in
the HP version of WinXP Professional SP2.

It does not help me with installing fax services, though. Does anyone
here know of a workaround? :(

--
telespanPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

Apparently you aren't reading the posts here.
This is not a problem with the Windows installer.
This is a problem with your OEM. Ask them.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

!