Printer User Interface (PrintUIEntry)

I am trying to install a new network printer in our department and want to
script the installation for all clients. I have followed the instructions at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314486
however the installation is unsuccessful. I recieve the following error
'Operation could not be completed. Cannot locate a suitable printer driver.
Contact your network administrator...'. Below are the detail and the syntax
I am using with the printui utility.

Printer Dell 5100cn
Driver location on local system: C:\testp
Command file name: pinstall.cmd
Contains of pinstall.cmd:
@ECHO
REM
#==========================================================================
REM #
REM # Filename: pinstall.cmd
REM # Description: Installs the Dell 5100cn printer
REM # $Id$
REM #
REM
#==========================================================================

REM # Make sure the ports are created - %PROGRAM_FOLDER% is defined by
REM # PKGADD while it is running. See the documentation for details.
regedit /s "C:\testp\5100cnreg.reg"

REM # Restart the spooler service
net stop spooler
net start spooler

REM # Install all of the printers via rundll32 - This could easily be put into
REM # a FOR loop but isn't here for readability
SET SERVER=dellp.commons.ca
SET DRIVER=Dell 5100cn

REM # Remove existing printers with the same name so we don't get copy after
copy
REM # NOTE: start /wait makes us wait for rundll32 to finish before continuing
start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /dl /n "math231chp" /q
start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /dl /n "math231chp-t" /q
start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /dl /n "math231chp-g" /q

REM # Install the printers
start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "LC Dell 5100cn" /f
"C:\testp\dlxcrzi.inf" /r "%SERVER%:Dell5100cn" /m "%DRIVER%" /z /u
REM # start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "math231chp-t" /f
"%windir%\inf\ntprint.inf" /q /r "%SERVER%:math231chp-t" /m "%DRIVER%" /z /u
REM # start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "math231chp-g" /f
"%windir%\inf\ntprint.inf" /q /r "%SERVER%:math231chp-g" /m "%DRIVER%" /z /u
pause

This process generates the error noted above even thought the driver file is
defined.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
4 answers Last reply
More about printer user interface printuientry

    See Bruce Sanderson's article at
    www.coribright.com

    "Karney" <Karney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /dl /n "math231chp-t" /q
    > start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /dl /n "math231chp-g" /q
    >
    > REM # Install the printers
    > start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "LC Dell 5100cn" /f
    > "C:\testp\dlxcrzi.inf" /r "%SERVER%:Dell5100cn" /m "%DRIVER%" /z /u
    > REM # start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "math231chp-t"
    > /f
    > "%windir%\inf\ntprint.inf" /q /r "%SERVER%:math231chp-t" /m "%DRIVER%" /z
    > /u
    > REM # start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "math231chp-g"
    > /f
    > "%windir%\inf\ntprint.inf" /q /r "%SERVER%:math231chp-g" /m "%DRIVER%" /z
    > /u
    > pause
    >
    > This process generates the error noted above even thought the driver file

    Thanks for the post Cari,
    Unfortunately this article appears to be another method of installing a
    printer (shared printer via UNC) and does not address driver installation. I
    am looking to install an TCP/IP port based printer where the drivers are not
    included in drivers.cab as part of the OS.

    Thank you for your suggestion, but I'll have to keep looking.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
    > > start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /dl /n "math231chp-t" /q
    > > start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /dl /n "math231chp-g" /q
    > >
    > > REM # Install the printers
    > > start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "LC Dell 5100cn" /f
    > > "C:\testp\dlxcrzi.inf" /r "%SERVER%:Dell5100cn" /m "%DRIVER%" /z /u
    > > REM # start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "math231chp-t"
    > > /f
    > > "%windir%\inf\ntprint.inf" /q /r "%SERVER%:math231chp-t" /m "%DRIVER%" /z
    > > /u
    > > REM # start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "math231chp-g"
    > > /f
    > > "%windir%\inf\ntprint.inf" /q /r "%SERVER%:math231chp-g" /m "%DRIVER%" /z
    > > /u
    > > pause
    > >
    > > This process generates the error noted above even thought the driver file

    Try:
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%20Server%20device.htm

> [...]
    >> >
    >> > REM # Install the printers
    >> > start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "LC Dell 5100cn"
    >> > /f
    >> > "C:\testp\dlxcrzi.inf" /r "%SERVER%:Dell5100cn" /m "%DRIVER%" /z /u
    >> > REM # start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b
    >> > "math231chp-t"
    >> > /f
    >> > "%windir%\inf\ntprint.inf" /q /r "%SERVER%:math231chp-t" /m "%DRIVER%"
    >> > /z
    >> > /u
    >> > REM # start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b
    >> > "math231chp-g"
    >> > /f
    >> > "%windir%\inf\ntprint.inf" /q /r "%SERVER%:math231chp-g" /m "%DRIVER%"
    >> > /z
    >> > /u
    >> > pause
    >> >
    >> > This process generates the error noted above even thought the driver

    Thanks again Cari,
    Still not enough information though. I came across an alternative method
    of accomplishing what I am trying to do. So far it is working very smoothly.
    I found the how-to and subsequent documents at the following location.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/prndrvr.mspx

    Thanks Again.

Printers Windows XP