jorisb

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
I'm going to install a blowhole this weekend since taking off the side reduce temp. by about 6-8 degrees.
Never done this before so I was wondering if anyone had some good tips.. I'm especially worried about the cutting part. I don't have a dremel either.

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Just a word of caution, i've never done this, but you could try it. what you could do is make an outline for a hole big enough for whatever you're attaching to it (if anything). Then use an awl and hammer and just knock holes around the out line. Then take some pliers and bend back the pieces so they kinda bend off and then just file the sharp edges. i've seen pictures of this done somewhere, and if i find 'em, ill post 'em. Good luck.

Putting the laughter back in to Slaughter.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Well my two cents is this. Don't do it unless you have some type of cutting equipment. A drill and jigsaw will do the trick, albeit it won't be the prettiest. Make your outline of the hole you're going to put in. Drill holes on the outline every few inches around the circumference then cut hole to hole with the jigsaw(or a bladed hacksaw will work as well, not the 'D' shaped, but a straight blade.

Another option is to get a metal nibbler. These can be had for under $10-$15 US at most larger hardware stores. These are made to make small cuts in metals for panels of many sorts that use a turn key or switch that is keyed to keep it from spinning. These can also be found online at various online retailers for little cost. It'll give you a cleaner looking hole then the above as well.

The third and best option which is what I use is a hydraulic knock out made by Greenlee Tools. This however is not a cheap tool, but allows for holes small enough for a power switch or large enough for a 120mm case fan. If just requires a 1/2"-7/8" hole saw then feeding through the punch and cranking the handle. These give you perfect holes and are totally idiot proof(perfect for me!!) unless you put the hole in the wrong spot. You can rent these at most tool shops/rental stores. Not sure of the cost for that though since I have my own. This is your best option for neatness!!!

Now if you can't/wont get to any of these, you can using a center punch(or even a large nail) to pop holes bit by bit but you'll end up making small dents around the perimeter of the hole and it'll come out with a lot of sharp edges that need to be sanded down. Also it'll take you forever and it'll look like crap unless you have a way to cover the hole up well(i.e a grill or vent). You'll also probably have to touch up the paint as well when done. This is the least appealing of prospects.

As you can see you've got several options. From a center punch, to a drill/jigsaw(or metal hole saw for the size you want) to a metal nibbler, to the fancy tool made for making holes. Just think carefully about the hole, because once it's there you're stuck with it!!!!

Good luck

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

G

The best method I have seen is to use a hole saw. They are the same things that you use to cut door knob holes, only larger. You can get them at Home Depot or any other large hardware store for about $5. It is a circle with saw teeth on it. You will need a drill. And all you do to cut the hole is trace out your hole with a pencil. Find the center point of the circle and put the center bit of the hole saw on the point. Give firm pressure and keep it centered. After the hole has been cut you will not need to do as much sanding as you would have if you cut with a Dremel. You will need a Dremel or some sandpaper to sand down the rough edges however. Good luck!

svol

Champion
Interesting. Are those wood saws you use or are they special made for steel? I'm planning on making a second case to store my watercooler radiator and resevoir and will need to cut some holes in it. With my own case I used a jiggsaw, but that is a lot of work, a hole saw would be much better.

It's not a bug, it's a feature :wink:
THGC: before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool:

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
If you would like step by step instructions with pictures...

<A HREF="http://www.2cooltek.com/blowhole.html" target="_new">go to this link.</A>

<b>"I put instant coffee in the microwave and almost went back in time" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Blowhole, sound like some whale project. :) Ok I'm not helping here with comments like that.

I used a jigsaw to cut holes on <A HREF="http://andrewt1.tripod.ca/cases/NN.front.side.jpg" target="_new">my case</A> (like dude on the page above) , if you don't want to paint the case, then cut from the inside. Jigsaw great for top & side cutting, not so great doing front and back of the case.

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>

jorisb

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
Alright.. so I now figure that I'll use plexiglass..
Ill cut out and area with straigt lines in my box (easier to do than circle) and then install the fan on the plexiglass..
That way if i screw up I can just get another.
Does that make sense or is that just harder?

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
You can use a Blank CD as a template for a 120mm fan. They are the perfect size. If you are really paranoid about screwing up, you could use a hacksaw blade. First draw the circle for the circumference. After that, use a drill to make the first hole near the edge of the line you just made. Make sure that the hole is large enough for the blade of the hacksaw. Then carefully cut the metal to make the hole. Now this method might make your arm tired but it will be really accurate. You can put a grill cover on to cover the edge and make it look better than a raw metal edge.

<b>"I put instant coffee in the microwave and almost went back in time" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

G

The hole saws are made for wood, but the metal of the computer case is thin enough that it doesn't really matter. The cutting is done in only a matter of seconds, so the saws are good for at least a couple holes.

Cstew77

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
When you cut plastic or plexiglass, make sure the teeth you use on the say aren't too fine - I wouldn't use something made to cut medal on plastic... Also, use a slower rotation speed (slower than those recommended for metal) - prevents the plastic from melting.

It's amazing what you remember from those ole shop days...