How do I get "Administrator Privileges"?

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

There are things that I cannot uninstall from my system. One in
particular is P2P Networking(Kazaa Media Desktop).

I get the following pop-up:
"Sorry, you do not have enough access rights for this operation"
"Please log on with administrator privileges and repeat uninstallation
process"

Can anyone tell me how to log on with "adminsistrator priviledges", so
I can start uninstalling unneeded apps?
Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
30 answers Last reply
More about administrator privileges
  1. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > There are things that I cannot uninstall from my system. One in
    > particular is P2P Networking(Kazaa Media Desktop).
    >
    > I get the following pop-up:
    > "Sorry, you do not have enough access rights for this operation"
    > "Please log on with administrator privileges and repeat uninstallation
    > process"
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to log on with "adminsistrator priviledges", so
    > I can start uninstalling unneeded apps?
    > Thanks a lot.

    Windows 9x/Me doesn't have user privileges (there is no administrator). Most likely
    you have a policy in place. Run REGEDIT and remove the following two keys. If the
    policy is such that it won't allow you run REGEDIT, boot to real-mode DOS from floppy
    or CD-ROM and merge the following REG file. Copy/paste the text into Notepad and save
    as C:\NOPOLICY.REG. Use the command: REGEDIT /S C:\NOPOLICY.REG to merge the file from
    DOS.

    REGEDIT4
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]
  2. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    Another response addressed the Windows 95/98/ME. If you are running Win NT,
    2000, or XP, log in as "Administrator" using whatever password has been
    assigned. If you do not know the administrator password, download Pettar
    Nordahl's very good password cracker and make up either a bootable CD or
    bootable floppy. Boot up, and you'll see Linux. Dont' worry. Follow Nordahl's
    instructions, and remove the administrator password entirely. Then log in as
    administrator and do as you wish. If you are using a corporate computer
    (unlikely), be prepared for the wrath of the corporate I.T. types... Ben Myers

    On 17 Jan 2005 10:17:24 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

    >There are things that I cannot uninstall from my system. One in
    >particular is P2P Networking(Kazaa Media Desktop).
    >
    >I get the following pop-up:
    >"Sorry, you do not have enough access rights for this operation"
    >"Please log on with administrator privileges and repeat uninstallation
    >process"
    >
    >Can anyone tell me how to log on with "adminsistrator priviledges", so
    >I can start uninstalling unneeded apps?
    >Thanks a lot.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.

  3. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    ask whoevers computer you are trying to hack.

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > There are things that I cannot uninstall from my system. One in
    > particular is P2P Networking(Kazaa Media Desktop).
    >
    > I get the following pop-up:
    > "Sorry, you do not have enough access rights for this operation"
    > "Please log on with administrator privileges and repeat uninstallation
    > process"
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to log on with "adminsistrator priviledges", so
    > I can start uninstalling unneeded apps?
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

  4. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    TheBeat999 wrote:
    > <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > > There are things that I cannot uninstall from my system. One in
    > > particular is P2P Networking(Kazaa Media Desktop).
    > >
    > > I get the following pop-up:
    > > "Sorry, you do not have enough access rights for this operation"
    > > "Please log on with administrator privileges and repeat
    uninstallation
    > > process"
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me how to log on with "adminsistrator priviledges",
    so
    > > I can start uninstalling unneeded apps?
    > > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Windows 9x/Me doesn't have user privileges (there is no
    administrator). Most likely
    > you have a policy in place. Run REGEDIT and remove the following two
    keys. If the
    > policy is such that it won't allow you run REGEDIT, boot to real-mode
    DOS from floppy
    > or CD-ROM and merge the following REG file. Copy/paste the text into
    Notepad and save
    > as C:\NOPOLICY.REG. Use the command: REGEDIT /S C:\NOPOLICY.REG to
    merge the file from
    > DOS.
    >
    > REGEDIT4

    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

    Okay, I only get
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings"

    Any other ideas?

    I actually installed KAZAA over a year ago, and attempted to uninstall
    it after it made my (WindowsME)system more unstable than usual.

    Right now I'm on the verge of just saving important folders and wiping
    the hard drive clean. But since it is a Compaq, it's going to be hell
    installing an OS on it.

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    doS wrote:
    > ask whoevers computer you are trying to hack.
    Moron...

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:

    > I actually installed KAZAA over a year ago, and attempted to uninstall
    > it after it made my (WindowsME)system more unstable than usual.

    And that's really saying something!

    > Right now I'm on the verge of just saving important folders and wiping
    > the hard drive clean. But since it is a Compaq, it's going to be hell
    > installing an OS on it.

    It'll be well worth your while though. If it's fast enough with more
    than 256MB of memory, get Win2000 or XP on it. If not, consider
    getting your hands on a copy of Win98 SE. Windows ME is a horribly
    unstable piece of poo, unfortunately.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    The pc is a Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series, 350Mhz Pentium 2.

    I do have a copy of Windows98(SE), but it is an OEM from a Dell
    machine. So that would make it even more difficult to put on the
    Compaq.

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> writes:

    > Why would you recommend a 5 year old, virtually unsupported OS (2000) when
    > XP is vastly superior, particularly with device driver support.

    I'm not sure why he recomened that over XP, but I have to say Win2k is
    hardly "virtually unsupported." And it's very stable. It'll be
    supported for longer than 98/ME.

    XP is the better recommendation, I'll agree. Hardware requirements on
    it aren't that steeper, though it is a little more memory hungry. The
    whole Activation thing turned off a lot of folks though, but people
    seem to be getting over that.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > > The pc is a Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series, 350Mhz Pentium 2.
    > >
    > > I do have a copy of Windows98(SE), but it is an OEM from a Dell
    > > machine. So that would make it even more difficult to put on the
    > > Compaq.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Darren Harris
    > > Staten Island, New York.
    >
    > Not only more difficult - but also illegal!

    If the computer is mine, and the software(OS) is mine, then it is *not*
    illegal.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> writes:
    > Me is/was for thinkers, XP is for brain dead "I just want to turn it
    > on' monkey people.

    LMAO... that's a good one. Are you actually serious, of just trying
    to get a rise here?

    If by "thinkers" you mean people that are constantly challenged with
    infuriating instability in a heinously cobbled together mix of a
    16-bit DOS world with a 32-bit wannabe GUI on top of it, then yeah Win
    ME was for "thinkers." LOL.

    To appreciate XP, you need to turn the clock back a few years and find
    out what Windows NT and Windows 2000 were all about. Based on what's
    spewing forth from your keyboard, I'm guessing you haven't any
    experience with either of these 32-bit operating systems, much less
    other OS's such as UNIX.

    Just because something crashes a lot and is unstable doesn't mean it's
    got a mystical complex aura that makes it's users "thinkers." What
    I'm usually thinking when I have to debug an ME computer is: "this
    poor bastard should've been on NT or 2k."

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    every conjecture is wrong! been using it since the day it was
    born....never had problems...used it for years in a commercial
    environment, as I didn't need at the time, a NTFS file system. Things
    have changed in that respect, so now I am one of the monkey people,
    not by choice. Me is a decent OS, if you know what your doing. You
    assume allot, in this case your making an ass out of.... just
    yourself.

    Been a xinux installer since 1989, then went on a 12 step program to
    rid myself of that plague. Unix? no... never had the 'need'.

    "Todd H." <comphelp@toddh.net> wrote in message
    > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> writes:
    > > Me is/was for thinkers, XP is for brain dead "I just want to turn
    it
    > > on' monkey people.
    >
    > LMAO... that's a good one. Are you actually serious, of just trying
    > to get a rise here?
    >
    > If by "thinkers" you mean people that are constantly challenged with
    > infuriating instability in a heinously cobbled together mix of a
    > 16-bit DOS world with a 32-bit wannabe GUI on top of it, then yeah
    Win
    > ME was for "thinkers." LOL.
    >
    > To appreciate XP, you need to turn the clock back a few years and
    find
    > out what Windows NT and Windows 2000 were all about. Based on
    what's
    > spewing forth from your keyboard, I'm guessing you haven't any
    > experience with either of these 32-bit operating systems, much less
    > other OS's such as UNIX.
    >
    > Just because something crashes a lot and is unstable doesn't mean
    it's
    > got a mystical complex aura that makes it's users "thinkers." What
    > I'm usually thinking when I have to debug an ME computer is: "this
    > poor bastard should've been on NT or 2k."
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

  12. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Noel Paton wrote:
    > >> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

    > >> Not only more difficult - but also illegal!
    > >
    > > If the computer is mine, and the software(OS) is mine, then it is
    *not*
    > > illegal.
    > >
    > > Darren Harris
    > > Staten Island, New York.
    > >

    > Uh, yes it is. Read your license agreement. The Dell OEM OS stays
    with the
    > Dell machine and is not transferable

    I don't have to. I know enough to know what is enforceable and what
    isn't as far as the law is concerned.

    Just because Dell's license agreement says something, doesn't make it
    illegal.

    If you were to buy a new car, and wanted the wheels from your first put
    on your new one, would it be illegal just because the old car's
    paperwork said the wheels are not to be used on any other vehicle?

    It may invalidate the warrantee, but that is a different issue.

    ***Dell's goal obviously is to inconvenience the consumer who buys
    another brand of pc. That is the reason for difficulty in installing
    the Dell version of Windows on a Gateway, Compaq, ect. But I've never
    had a problem putting the same OS on another one of my Dell PCs.
    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > The pc is a Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series, 350Mhz Pentium 2.
    >
    > I do have a copy of Windows98(SE), but it is an OEM from a Dell
    > machine. So that would make it even more difficult to put on the
    > Compaq.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    Not only more difficult - but also illegal!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

  14. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    >> > The pc is a Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series, 350Mhz Pentium 2.
    >> >
    >> > I do have a copy of Windows98(SE), but it is an OEM from a Dell
    >> > machine. So that would make it even more difficult to put on the
    >> > Compaq.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > Darren Harris
    >> > Staten Island, New York.
    >>
    >> Not only more difficult - but also illegal!
    >
    > If the computer is mine, and the software(OS) is mine, then it is *not*
    > illegal.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    Uh, yes it is. Read your license agreement. The Dell OEM OS stays with the
    Dell machine and is not transferable
  15. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Tom Scales wrote:
    > >> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

    Dell

    > > *not*

    > >> Uh, yes it is. Read your license agreement. The Dell OEM OS stays
    > > with the
    > >> Dell machine and is not transferable
    > >
    > > I don't have to. I know enough to know what is enforceable and what
    > > isn't as far as the law is concerned.
    > >
    > > Just because Dell's license agreement says something, doesn't make
    it
    > > illegal.
    > >
    > > If you were to buy a new car, and wanted the wheels from your first
    put
    > > on your new one, would it be illegal just because the old car's
    > > paperwork said the wheels are not to be used on any other vehicle?
    > >
    > > It may invalidate the warrantee, but that is a different issue.
    > >
    > > ***Dell's goal obviously is to inconvenience the consumer who buys
    > > another brand of pc. That is the reason for difficulty in
    installing
    > > the Dell version of Windows on a Gateway, Compaq, ect. But I've
    never
    > > had a problem putting the same OS on another one of my Dell PCs.
    > > Darren Harris
    > > Staten Island, New York.
    > >

    > Are you an attorney? I think not.
    >
    > The license is absolutely enforceable. It's not even particularly
    unusual.

    And I'm sure you aren't an attorney either, because you are still
    wrong.

    But none of this has anything to do with the original post anyway. So
    let's just continue to disagree.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

    >> > If the computer is mine, and the software(OS) is mine, then it is
    > *not*
    >> > illegal.
    >> >
    >> > Darren Harris
    >> > Staten Island, New York.
    >> >

    >> Uh, yes it is. Read your license agreement. The Dell OEM OS stays
    > with the
    >> Dell machine and is not transferable
    >
    > I don't have to. I know enough to know what is enforceable and what
    > isn't as far as the law is concerned.
    >
    > Just because Dell's license agreement says something, doesn't make it
    > illegal.
    >
    > If you were to buy a new car, and wanted the wheels from your first put
    > on your new one, would it be illegal just because the old car's
    > paperwork said the wheels are not to be used on any other vehicle?
    >
    > It may invalidate the warrantee, but that is a different issue.
    >
    > ***Dell's goal obviously is to inconvenience the consumer who buys
    > another brand of pc. That is the reason for difficulty in installing
    > the Dell version of Windows on a Gateway, Compaq, ect. But I've never
    > had a problem putting the same OS on another one of my Dell PCs.
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    Are you an attorney? I think not.

    The license is absolutely enforceable. It's not even particularly unusual.

    Tom
  17. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    In article <1107134871.837612.7370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes

    >Tom Scales wrote:
    >> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

    >> > If the computer is mine, and the software(OS) is mine, then it is
    >*not*
    >> > illegal.
    >> >
    >> > Darren Harris
    >> > Staten Island, New York.
    >> >

    >> Uh, yes it is. Read your license agreement. The Dell OEM OS stays
    >with the
    >> Dell machine and is not transferable
    >
    >I don't have to. I know enough to know what is enforceable and what
    >isn't as far as the law is concerned.
    >
    >Just because Dell's license agreement says something, doesn't make it
    >illegal.
    >
    >If you were to buy a new car, and wanted the wheels from your first put
    >on your new one, would it be illegal just because the old car's
    >paperwork said the wheels are not to be used on any other vehicle?
    >
    >It may invalidate the warrantee, but that is a different issue.
    >
    >***Dell's goal obviously is to inconvenience the consumer who buys
    >another brand of pc. That is the reason for difficulty in installing
    >the Dell version of Windows on a Gateway, Compaq, ect. But I've never
    >had a problem putting the same OS on another one of my Dell PCs.
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.

    I hesitate to join in this slanging match. However.

    You have bought a licence, which has certain conditions attached to it.
    Those conditions are enforceable at law under most jurisdictions.

    If you buy the freehold on a house, you are almost certain to buy it
    with covenants attached. These may say, for arguments sake, that you
    cannot erect an advertising hoarding on the land. The covenant will
    certainly say that as a condition of sale that these restrictions will
    apply to all heirs, successors and other purchasers. If you then build a
    hoarding and one of the heirs or successors of the person or company who
    originally sold the house and land and imposed the covenant cares to go
    to law they will win, unless the covenant can be shown to be grossly
    unreasonable.

    In the same way Microsoft will have imposed certain conditions on Dell,
    over and above those conditions in a retail licence, in granting them a
    licence to sell PC's with Windows installed. In exchange the licence
    would have been considerably cheaper than the cost of a retail licence,
    and Dell will have passed some of that saving onto yourself when you
    bought the Dell machine. The licence will require Dell to impose the
    conditions on the purchaser of the PC. At law these conditions are
    enforceable.

    Whether Microsoft or Dell would actually come after you is another
    matter, it would depend upon them finding out and whether you were worth
    suing. So it might be better to keep schtoom as to what you do in the
    privacy of your own home. If I were you and I was in business, then I
    would look over my shoulder, from time to time.
    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
  18. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > >

    >> Are you an attorney? I think not.
    >>
    >> The license is absolutely enforceable. It's not even particularly
    > unusual.
    >
    > And I'm sure you aren't an attorney either, because you are still
    > wrong.
    >
    > But none of this has anything to do with the original post anyway. So
    > let's just continue to disagree.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    No, I'm not an attorney. I have, however, written over 200 software
    contracts, all in excess of $5m. You clearly don't understand software
    contract law.

    If you're going to steal it, then I'd stop posting my full name and city.
    MS might want to have some fun.

    And they WOULD win.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    > No, I'm not an attorney. I have, however, written over 200 software
    > contracts, all in excess of $5m. You clearly don't understand
    software
    > contract law.

    I don't have to.

    > If you're going to steal it, then I'd stop posting my full name and
    city.
    > MS might want to have some fun.
    >
    > And they WOULD win.

    No they wouldn't.

    I have no idea why you keep turning this thread into something it is
    not.

    I have stolen nothing, and have already stated that the copy of the
    (unregistered)window 98(SE) software we are talking about belongs to
    me.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
    > I have stolen nothing, and have already stated that the copy of the
    > (unregistered)window 98(SE) software we are talking about belongs to
    > me.

    That's the point--no, no it doesn't "belong to you." You are a
    licensee. You bought the computer from dell, and with it came
    installed Microsoft software for which you were granted and accepted a
    restricted license to that software. One of the restrictions of OEM
    distributions of Windows is that it can't be legally used on other
    computers. Have you never read a license agreement? Or even
    what's on that CD label--it may even be on there.

    So, he's absolutely right, that you cannot legally put your Dell OEM
    copy of win98 on a non-Dell computer. Even if it's technically
    possible, it's still a breach of copyright.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    > Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
    >> I have stolen nothing, and have already stated that the copy of the
    >> (unregistered)window 98(SE) software we are talking about belongs to
    >> me.
    >
    > That's the point--no, no it doesn't "belong to you." You are a
    > licensee. You bought the computer from dell, and with it came
    > installed Microsoft software for which you were granted and accepted a
    > restricted license to that software. One of the restrictions of OEM
    > distributions of Windows is that it can't be legally used on other
    > computers. Have you never read a license agreement? Or even
    > what's on that CD label--it may even be on there.
    >
    > So, he's absolutely right, that you cannot legally put your Dell OEM
    > copy of win98 on a non-Dell computer. Even if it's technically
    > possible, it's still a breach of copyright.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

    We're wasting our breath. He's convinced himself it is Ok because it is
    'his' copy.

    It's not. He doesn't care. He'll rationalize it forever.

    Tom
  22. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
    > > I have stolen nothing, and have already stated that the copy of the
    > > (unregistered)window 98(SE) software we are talking about belongs
    > > me.
    >
    > That's the point--no, no it doesn't "belong to you." You are a
    > licensee. You bought the computer from dell, and with it came
    > installed Microsoft software for which you were granted and accepted
    > restricted license to that software. One of the restrictions of
    OEM
    > distributions of Windows is that it can't be legally used on other
    > computers. Have you never read a license agreement? Or even
    > what's on that CD label--it may even be on there.

    When I said it belongs to me, it is understood(by everyone else) what
    is meant. Only I have the right to use it.

    > So, he's absolutely right, that you cannot legally put your Dell OEM
    > copy of win98 on a non-Dell computer. Even if it's technically
    > possible, it's still a breach of copyright.

    And would you mind posting the exact wording of what you have been
    referring to?

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    > We're wasting our breath. He's convinced himself it is Ok because it
    is
    > 'his' copy.
    >
    > It's not. He doesn't care. He'll rationalize it forever.

    And again, we will continmue to disagree, so you are correct. You have
    been wasting your breath. :-)

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:

    > > We're wasting our breath. He's convinced himself it is Ok because it
    > is
    > > 'his' copy.
    > >
    > > It's not. He doesn't care. He'll rationalize it forever.
    >
    > And again, we will continmue to disagree, so you are correct. You have
    > been wasting your breath. :-)

    "Don't bother me with the facts--I've made up my mind."

    LOL.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > So, he's absolutely right, that you cannot legally put your Dell
    > > OEM copy of win98 on a non-Dell computer. Even if it's
    > > technically possible, it's still a breach of copyright.
    >
    > And would you mind posting the exact wording of what you have been
    > referring to?

    Refer to the license on the disk you posess for the exact wording of
    the license terms. They vary slightly from release to release. But
    I'll bet ya a dollar that you'll find it restricted to use on your
    Dell system.

    But, if you're the sort that needs a big cartoon-like graphic with an
    orange X that says what you're proposing is illegal software piracy,
    well, you're in luck:

    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/partners/YourPC_do.mspx

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Can we start a new newsgroup called arguing.about.microsoft.licenses ???

    .... Ben Myers

    On 02 Feb 2005 21:51:05 -0600, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

    >Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
    >> Todd H. wrote:
    >> > So, he's absolutely right, that you cannot legally put your Dell
    >> > OEM copy of win98 on a non-Dell computer. Even if it's
    >> > technically possible, it's still a breach of copyright.
    >>
    >> And would you mind posting the exact wording of what you have been
    >> referring to?
    >
    >Refer to the license on the disk you posess for the exact wording of
    >the license terms. They vary slightly from release to release. But
    >I'll bet ya a dollar that you'll find it restricted to use on your
    >Dell system.
    >
    >But, if you're the sort that needs a big cartoon-like graphic with an
    >orange X that says what you're proposing is illegal software piracy,
    >well, you're in luck:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/partners/YourPC_do.mspx
    >

    >Best Regards,
    >--
    >Todd H.
    >http://www.toddh.net/
  27. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

    ..

    > BTW. Direct me to where it says that in my license.
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    Read the thing for yourself for a change- it's there in black and white!

    I don't have an ME Dell CD around to read, but it's plain as day in my OEM
    EULA here.

    Besides which, you probably wouldn't believe me if I quote the text verbatim
    anyhow
    Read the EULA

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

  28. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    Ben, uh, this is what the "Blocked Senders" list is for.
    HH

    > Can we start a new newsgroup called arguing.about.microsoft.licenses ???
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 02 Feb 2005 21:51:05 -0600, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    >
    >>Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
    >>>
    >>> And would you mind posting the exact wording of what you have been
    >>> referring to?
    >>
    >>Refer to the license on the disk you posess for the exact wording of
    >>the license terms. They vary slightly from release to release. But
    >>I'll bet ya a dollar that you'll find it restricted to use on your
    >>Dell system.
    >>
    >>But, if you're the sort that needs a big cartoon-like graphic with an
    >>orange X that says what you're proposing is illegal software piracy,
    >>well, you're in luck:
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/partners/YourPC_do.mspx
    >>

    >>Best Regards,
    >>--
    >>Todd H.
    >>http://www.toddh.net/

  29. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > .
    > >
    > > BTW. Direct me to where it says that in my license.
    > > Darren Harris
    > > Staten Island, New York.
    > >
    > Read the thing for yourself for a change- it's there in black and
    white!

    > I don't have an ME Dell CD around to read, but it's plain as day in
    my OEM
    > EULA here.
    >
    > Besides which, you probably wouldn't believe me if I quote the text
    verbatim
    > anyhow
    > Read the EULA

    I have, and it says no such thing, outside of For Distibution with a
    New PC Only".

    That is why I asked you to post it.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
    > > Todd H. wrote:
    > > > So, he's absolutely right, that you cannot legally put your Dell
    > > > OEM copy of win98 on a non-Dell computer. Even if it's
    > > > technically possible, it's still a breach of copyright.
    > >
    > > And would you mind posting the exact wording of what you have been
    > > referring to?
    >
    > Refer to the license on the disk you posess for the exact wording of
    > the license terms. They vary slightly from release to release. But
    > I'll bet ya a dollar that you'll find it restricted to use on your
    > Dell system.
    >
    > But, if you're the sort that needs a big cartoon-like graphic with an
    > orange X that says what you're proposing is illegal software piracy,
    > well, you're in luck:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/partners/YourPC_do.mspx

    There is no date on that page, and it is directed at the hardware
    manufacturers(their business partners), and not the end user. It
    doesn't refer to a Windows version. And it doesn't quote a particular
    license agreement. In fact, I'm sure that page was edited after Windows
    XP entered the market, going by the last paragraph.

    Any, that is still just Microsoft's way of trying to make more money by
    intimidating the consumer with it's vagueness.

    So I'll say again, that there is no way they can enforce what you say.
    I only intend to use this copy on a single PC, so as long as this copy
    doesn't exist on any other pc there is no problem.

    Also, Microsoft hasn't been consistent with their EULAs, and that
    doesn't help matters.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

Compaq Windows Me Computers