Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Rebuilding Dell Dimension 9200 to Windows 7 64-bit

Last response: in Windows 7
October 22, 2010 1:06:43 AM

Hello,
I have a Dell Dimension 9200 (Core 2 Duo E6700 processor with 4 GB of RAM already installed) running on Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

I have purchased a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Full which contains both 32-bit and 64-bit disks. It is my intention to format my hard drive and rebuild from scratch to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. No hardware changes are planned. I have no problem loading Windows and all other software that I am planning to use. What gets me worried are the drivers.

Will I need to install any 64-bit drivers ?

Does Windows 7 include them all or are there any that will need to be loaded separately ?

If so, where do I get them (The drivers that came with my system are 32-bit drivers for Windows Vista Home Premium) and how do I know which ones are included in Windows 7 and which ones are not ?

Thanks
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2010 4:14:42 AM

You will need different drivers.
Windows is really good at installing them automatically.
As always, i suggest to check for updates from the manufacturer, but it should work fine.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2010 6:13:48 AM

Looking at Dell's download page for Dim9200:

- There is no mention of Win7
- The chipset driver is the same download for Vista 32 and 64
- You may have trouble with audio drivers, dunno whether you are Creative or Sigmatel.

So you're pretty much relying on Windows for drivers, and Win7 is pretty good at it.

I can't recall if the Windows 7 upgrade tool checked for 64-bit drivers for your hardware. Might be worth googling to find it and run it to see if it tells you anything useful.
Score
Related resources
October 22, 2010 11:00:56 AM

"...dunno whether you are Creative or Sigmatel.

I am with Sigmatel

Thanks to both of you
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2010 2:48:48 AM

arges86 said:
You will need different drivers.
Windows is really good at installing them automatically.
As always, i suggest to check for updates from the manufacturer, but it should work fine.

^+1
just go for it with an internet connection so windows can download update files and driver file during installation.
it (windows) will detect of course what version your trying to install and then find the drivers automatically 99% of the time.
October 24, 2010 9:42:35 AM

Thanks to you as well malmental
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2010 12:26:59 PM

np..
Score
November 4, 2010 12:13:07 PM

Well folks, I am through with my clean install of Windows 7 64-bit and I am glad to report that everything went pretty smooth. Windows 7 took care of everything. Internet connection, sound, peripherals, everything.

There were VERY MINOR glitches but these were software related. As far as hardware is concerned, NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER. Just as an example, as soon as I turned on my Brother HL-2170W printer (Connected to my PC with a USB connector), windows 7 installed the driver and advised me that the printer was ready to use. Same with my ClearChat Comfort USB headset.

No, really, everything went pretty smooth overall. I am very happy.

A special thanks to all those who cared to provide their input to my original question.

Regards to all in the Tom's Harware community.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 4, 2010 1:06:35 PM

told you bro
the windows 7 install process is soundly accurate in most components with connection.
enjoy..
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 4, 2010 5:45:17 PM

Grats, man! Enjoy the latest :) 
Score
November 10, 2010 11:38:05 PM

Best answer selected by Franicelcha.
Score
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2010 6:10:59 AM