Sign in with
Your question

Lock-ups and they seem pretty random

Last response: in Video Games
August 10, 2012 10:51:42 PM

I think this is the right subforum to post this, anyway....

Ive been experiencing these weird lockups lately. I can play games normally for some period of time but then out of nowhere lock-up, can't alt-f4, can't bring up task manager, nothing except reset/power button. While its locked-up its also on infinite audio loop that sounds like: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and so on.

I have cleaned my PC when it started to happen no difference. I'm thinking a conflict between audio drivers? I have AMD High Definition Audio Device and Realtek High Definition Audio under device manager for sound devices.

Temperatures are not the problem, GPU ain't overclocked but CPU is and its proven stable.
Maybe this might help but i seem to get these freezes while broadcasting my gameplay via Xfire.

Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks!

More about : lock ups pretty random

August 10, 2012 11:13:15 PM

Try reverting CPU overclock. If the lockups continue, try checking memory (you can download the checking tool from www.memtest.org ).
August 11, 2012 12:02:15 AM

I seriously doubt its CPU since everything worked normally for more than half of year. Lockups are recent. Also what about my PSU it seems weak 550W...
Related resources
August 11, 2012 12:26:33 AM

Whats your full system spec? What stability tests did you do on the overclock? Have you checked what temps things are running at. Try running memtest to check your RAM is stable.
August 11, 2012 12:48:23 AM

had a similar problem when my memory was unstable. due to an unstable oc... this can also show up on cpu's that use turbo boost if the mem cant keep up with the increase of cpu speed. if the multiplier goes to high.
August 11, 2012 10:10:46 AM

Just because the CPU has been stable for a year it doesn't mean it's still stable. Things change. Just testing that theory won't hurt you, will it?
August 11, 2012 10:24:34 AM

The point is i can play BF3 with no lock ups, but as soon as i go arma2+broadcast it locks up
August 11, 2012 10:27:54 AM

When I had unstable RAM on my GPU it only crashed some games and others just as demanding ran fine. Just run memtest to check your RAM is stable and if it is run Prime 95 or Intel Burn test to check the CPU is stable. Also post your system specs.
August 11, 2012 11:00:34 AM

PC specs:
CPU: Quad Core Q8300
GPU: ATI AMD HD4870 512mb
RAM: 4GB
PSU: 550W

I will check the stability later today need to do some stuff first ;) 
!