Error while receiving faxes on XP

I am able to send faxes using the fax console, but I cannot receive them. I
have enabled receive in the software setup, and selected that the faxes be
stored in a folder. I have a dedicated fax line, and I am using an Agere
Systems AC'97 fax modem.

The fax console will answer the call and communicate with the incoming fax
machine for about 30 to 45 seconds, then a message appears in the log stating
"An error occured while receiving a fax". Anybody know how to fix this?
1 answer Last reply
More about error receiving faxes

    Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
    modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
    they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
    during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
    first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
    an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
    messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
    There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
    might lie.

    These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
    enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
    require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
    advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
    on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest
    drivers. --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "DT" <DT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am able to send faxes using the fax console, but I cannot receive them.
    > have enabled receive in the software setup, and selected that the faxes be
    > stored in a folder. I have a dedicated fax line, and I am using an Agere
    > Systems AC'97 fax modem.
    >
    > The fax console will answer the call and communicate with the incoming fax
    > machine for about 30 to 45 seconds, then a message appears in the log
    > stating
    > "An error occured while receiving a fax". Anybody know how to fix this?

Fax Consoles Windows XP