Overclocking my 486dx2

No1kung1

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
I was able to overclock my 486dx2 from 66 mhz to 80 mhz successfully. However when i moved the jumpers to run it at 100mhz it would not boot into windows. Is there any motherboard modification that would help to make the system more stable or allow a higher overclock?

The more you run over a cat, The flatter it gets.
The more I hit you, The flatter you get.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's a 3.3v processor, you can try the 5v setting. Some sockets (mostly Socket 2) also have the "straight across" clip position that allows you to run Celeron/K6-2 coolers (or even PIII or Athlon coolers) on them, otherwize, if you need more cooling you can alway glue on a larger cooler with JB-Weld (using as thin a coating as possible).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

cawasha

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
I never had much overclocking the 66's past 80. The only thing I could suggest would be to put the biggest heatsink/fan on it that you can. I imagine you have allready done that but just thought I'd throw that out there. There just isnt much headroom in those things when you consider that you are sarting with a slow speed to begin with. Maybe I didnt help you but that's my two cents anyway.

No1kung1

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
yeah i got the heatsink, fan, silver thermal paste and everything
Thanks though

The more you run over a cat, The flatter it gets.
The more I hit you, The flatter you get.